Greetings from Fort Smith, AR/Sallisaw, OK!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our travel destination is across the border in Arkansas. Vrai found us a decent campground just a little west of our destination. It has 2 fishing ponds, so I'm hopeful that I will finally add Oklahoma to the list of states that I have caught fish.

We are having motorhome leveler issues currently. What is usually a 1 person process now involves a 2 person, short term work around. So to her credit, Vrai leveled the RV for the first time today. I know she feels empowered by learning something new & different on the RV. I'm happy to take care of all that so she doesn't. But it's good to know how things work just in case.

Today was just our 6th travel day this year. The leg was a bit over 150 miles, almost entirely on the interstate. There are a few stretches of construction going on along the way. It's overdue because a lot of the road was choppy. We got out early which means we got in here early.

Our stay here is only a week long. That should be enough time to see and do the exciting things this area has to offer. Now to find the grocery store.

Last edited:

Monello

PREMO Member
Don't know where your travels will take you, but if you head towards the NorthEast of AR, the town of Eureka Springs is a great place to visit.
You are the 2nd person on here to recommend that city. It's on the list.

Plus we are always looking out for unique spots to stop. So if you think it's worthy, point it out to us. TIA

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You are the 2nd person on here to recommend that city. It's on the list.

Plus we are always looking out for unique spots to stop. So if you think it's worthy, point it out to us. TIA
I recommended it awhile ago.

Monello

PREMO Member
I caught 2 fish tonight. A fooled a bass with a topwater lure. That is the most exciting way to catch a bass. The fish drew a small crowd at the pond. Now I can add Oklahoma to the list of states where I've caught fish.

Monello

PREMO Member
Oklahoma has a glut of marijuana dispensaries. No shortage of places to get your munchies on.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yesterday we went to Fort Smith, which would have been historic and interesting but they're freaking out over the Kung Flu and everything cool was closed down. But we walked the main drag and took in the sights, went down to their little riverfront park and took some pics. The buildings have neat murals on the walls, all done by students at the local college. I like a town that decorates itself.

On the way home we detoured to Van Buren, which is another cute historic small town. I am lucky that Monello loves them as much as I do.

Today we tried to find a boat launch. GPS doesn't like Sallisaw because not only did the GPS in Monello's car jack us up, but Google maps led us off into the hinterlands as well. We did eventually find Brushy Lake - the lake part was okay but the RV park on site was a shitshow and I can't even tell you about the bath house because it was indescribably gross. And yet there were probably 20 or so people camped there in RVs. :shudder:

Afterward we headed west to Kerr Lake, which was nicer but has zero facilities. There is a park there, so I'm guessing visitors just pee in the bushes or something.

We're not madly in love with Oklahoma and so far nothing has impressed us. Our campground is pretty nice, though. There's a little pond on site and Monello has been fishing - and catching! - every day, so he's happy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fort Smith:

This is a little downtown amusement park that they were refurbishing, but should be open this weekend so we might go back

A park on the Arkansas River

My favorite downtown mural

Fort Smith is a decent size city, with Walmart etc in a commercial area, but they've kept their downtown historic and interesting

This is the barbershop at Fort Chaffee where Elvis got his haircut when he was inducted into the Army. Normally you can go in and see it, with a cardboard Elvis sitting in the seat he used, but - you guessed it - it was closed because of COVID. I love little snips of history like this.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And here's something interesting:

When we were rambling around yesterday we went through the tiny town of Webber Falls. We noticed that the street signs had characters below the street name:

Monello did some digging and found that it's the name of the street in the Cherokee language.

Now I want to do back there and see more of the town.

Monello

PREMO Member
The little pond in the campground is chock full of decent sized bass. So far I've caught 5. I even got 2 on topwater lures. If you bass fish, you will understand the excitement of catching a bass on the top.