Greetings from Gallup, NM!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

There's no real reason why you'd want to come here. It's pretty depressed and has the highest crime rate in NM. Tons of what they call "trading posts", which are basically Native American craft and souvenir shops, which you can get all over NM and AZ. The landscape is beautiful, like much of the southwest. If you're doing Route 66 or traveling down 40 you might as well stop, but Gallup is definitely not a destination.

We did have a drink at the historic El Rancho hotel bar <-- click that link and see how cool it is. It's western themed (of course) but focuses on movies and stars from the 30s and 40s. If you found yourself in Gallup, this is where you'd want to stay.

Our RV park is nice. I was expecting a run down blah, can't wait to move on, but it's clean and well-kept with great amenities including a nightly chuck wagon dinner with some of the best smoked ribs I've ever had. There is a guy who is a local wood carver and his masterpieces are all over the park. I'll get pics so you can see. The office doubles as a (you guessed it) trading post with all kinds of Native American crap you can buy.

All I need for happiness is a Walgreens and a good grocery store - Gallup has both, so we'll spend a perfectly fine week here.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh, AND! The Albertson's (grocery store) has that pinion coffee that I love AND the Mexican chocolate flavor that's my favorite.

:yahoo:

limblips

Good review. The opening of I-40 spelled the demise of Gallup. I used to hunt east of Gallup in Continental Divide. Beautiful scenery. The Red Cliffs are spectacular. They start a deep purple in the early AM, change to red during the day and a bright orange at sunset. We didn't really partake of touristy things but did a day and night in Gallup. That was enough!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The opening of I-40 spelled the demise of Gallup.

I-40 knocked out a lot of these neat Route 66 towns, but so many of them are worth the detour. A friend of mine way back when did a Route 66 trip from Chicago to Santa Monica, staying on 66 as much as possible, staying in local motels and eating in local diners. At the time I was like....why? But now I get it.

This America, man. Big cities and chain restaurants can suck it. Small cities/towns and mom/pop eateries are where it's at. You feel like you've stepped back in time and it's very relaxing.