Greetings from Kingman, AZ!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The last excursion in our Kingman odyssey was the populated (200+-) ghost town of Chloride, named after the silver chloride this little mining town was founded on. There was a visitor's center that doubles as a general store and a restaurant/bar/motel that served up a darn good lunch. They are barely hanging on and only because a handful of people like me want to visit and drop some money on them for souvenirs etc.

The town:

The motel/restaurant

They used to have a gas station back in the day

Auntie Biache'

What a different life it must to live in one of these tiny towns that barely even makes it onto a map. You can google almost any town and get a street view...not this one.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Chloride is Luckenbach, Texas without the live band and the bikers.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I wonder why anyone would stay there. I like small towns, but dang.
I'm not making this up. People go out there to collect bottles. I'm sure all the good ones have been found by now. When the town had a lot of miners, most lived in tents anywhere they could set up. They tossed their trash 20 feet from their tents in a pile. They said the surrounding hills were covered with tents and trash. Once the miners left, the trash piles stayed. Then people went out and collected the old bottles. They even collect the necks of the broken bottles and string them together in some sort of garland.

Rusted junk is prized in that town. The fence leading into town is decorated with a bunch of rusty trash. I'm not sure what sort of statement they are trying to make but it is certainly original. There are a few businesses that peddle in junk and half the homes in the town are surrounded by cluttered treasures.