Greetings from Lake Havasu!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Summering in the desert is probably the second biggest mistake I've ever made. 116* in theory, you think you can cowgirl up; in reality you feel like you've been really bad and now you've died and gone to Hell. My advice: don't do it. Just don't.

There is no cell service here. Like, none. This also means our hotspots don't work, so we're relying on the resort's wifi, which is spotty. It's kind of amazing that an area of 50,000 residents and umpteen bazillion tourists wouldn't have cell coverage. And it's not just Verizon - our bartender assured us that no carrier has service in this area and everyone has....ready?...land lines. I haven't even seen a land line in years. They're like pay phones where you take a picture of it - "Ooh, a roadside oddity!"

And what's with these freaking RV parks that lie on their website? Not having cell coverage would have been nice to know, but they also lied about their RV sites having a lake view. It says "Our accommodating RV Park has over 120 full hook-up spaces, each with an overlooking lakefront view. " This is a lie. As far as I can tell, none of their RV sites has a lake view. Also their resort map is highly misleading. Makes it look like you're a lot closer to the pool, bath house, laundry, etc, than you really are.

I had a heat stroke meltdown not long after we arrived and sobbed for a few minutes. It was quite dramatic. Monello fixed me an ice water (thanks, babe 💋 ) and I calmed down, realizing that wasting moisture and salt wasn't a good idea.

On the plus side, we are a very short walk to one of the little private beaches they have dotted around. And the mountains are quite beautiful. Heading up 95 surrounded with these enormous prehistoric mountains, you feel like you're in another time....and then out of nowhere a large blue lake appears. We took no pics of Phoenix because, well, there was nothing to see, but Lake Havasu appears to have many photogenic spots.

Being on the lake like this, we planned on fishing and kayaking and paddleboarding and playing, but I'm pretty sure the extreme heat will curtail a lot of that. I'm also concerned about leaving Apollo alone because if the power goes out for some reason he will die in about 15 minutes. Yet people in Hell...I mean, Arizona...have pets so clearly I'm the only neurotic who worries about things like that.

This is a golf cart community, so we're going to have to see about renting one of those while we're here. Normally we'd bike around, but that's not going to happen in this heat in this hilly RV park.

Our freaking badass ancestors lived in these places WITHOUT A/C!!! I am constantly in awe of them.

Last edited:
Just hookup with one of the many floating lake sex parties that Lake Havasu is known for, and you'll feel lots better.

So, serious question: if it's so unappealing in AZ, why not just pull stakes and head north? Or to the coast? It's not like there is anything keeping you there....

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Yes, the Phoenix area from June until September is an oven and you basically run from A/C to A/C. I don't get the appeal of living in that area. My dad lived there for 30+ years until his death, and my half siblings and their families still live there. I visited it twice - once in February and once in April. February was great but it was already hot in April, although the nights were cool. The average high in Lake Havasu is 103 in June and 108 in July. :yikes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, serious question: if it's so unappealing in AZ, why not just pull stakes and head north? Or to the coast? It's not like there is anything keeping you there....

We're putting that plan together today. Our problems will be 4th of July coming up and everything being booked, and being able to see Vegas for at least a couple of days. We're due at Grand Canyon Aug 14, so there's that consideration. And while I might blow off Vegas, I've been wanting to see GC my whole life.

Even if you can find a place at a higher elevation, in the mountains, you'd get some relief.

When my ex and I first moved to MD, we camped at the Take It Easy Campground for 2 weeks. It was late June/early July and hot. I mean hot. I remember 105* during the day, not less than 80* at night, 100% humid, and severe t-storms daily. The pop-up didn't have air, so after work we'd go to dinner, then go window shopping, anything to not go back to the campsite. It was miserable.

But the obvious question..... why didn't we abandon the pop-up and head to a hotel? Dunno...... the thought just never occurred to us. duh.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We're putting that plan together today. Our problems will be 4th of July coming up and everything being booked, and being able to see Vegas for at least a couple of days. We're due at Grand Canyon Aug 14, so there's that consideration. And while I might blow off Vegas, I've been wanting to see GC my whole life.
Sister is in Vegas right now. They have been on The Best Ever RV Vacation for the last two weeks. They visited GC, Bryce Canyon and I'm not even sure of the rest of the places. No, I didn't go. The thought of spending 2 weeks in an RV with four teenage girls just doesn't appeal to me. :lol:

I do love AZ though and am thinking of going for another visit this summer. I have an old friend that left CA for Gilbert. I can deal with the heat. That and she has a pool. :lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Summering in the desert is probably the second biggest mistake I've ever made. 116* in theory, you think you can cowgirl up; in reality you feel like you've been really bad and now you've died and gone to Hell. My advice: don't do it. Just don't.

In the 80's I spent a month in the Mojave curtosey of Uncle Sam ..... 120 in the shade

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Plan B:

We're leaving here next Sunday, the 23rd, and heading for Las Vegas for two weeks. This will solve my phone/internet/filthy bath house problems and not throw us off too much. Plus we get to spend 4th of July in Las Vegas, which sounds like fun. Then we'll leave on the 7th and head for higher ground.

Honestly, the pickins are slim in this whole region. The AZ snowbirds would crap themselves if they saw the RV resorts FL and TX offer. You'd think as many people that flock to AZ in the winter, there would be a huge number of terrific resorts for them.

I just thought of something that made me really excited!!! We'll have 5 weeks between leaving Lost Wages and when we're due at our place in Grand Canyon. We originally wanted to stay for two months in Williams but the super luxe resort where we're staying only allows 4 weeks max. BUT! There are like 8 million KOAs in that area, so we could stay at one of them, then move on to the posh place from there.

:yahoo:

Monello is having a siesta (and now I know why that's a thing) but when he wakes up I'll inform him of our new plan and he will be so happy! :getdown:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It only reached 102 degrees today. Much more pleasant than yesterday. We did a windshield tour of part of Lake Havasu proper. Then we went to the pool to cool off a bit. The landscape here is fascinating. Pretty much solid rock. Not much vegetation. With a dammed up river that is a playground for high powered muscle boats.

They drive like crap here. The only road north & south is shared by trucks, people pulling trailers with boats, RVers and lookie Lous. Then there is the impatient person that feels to pass on a 2 lane road. Someone picked the middle of the bridge to pass. There wasn't any place to go if someone needed to avoid a wreck. Even the clerk at the C store said all the transplants from California come here and drive like they own the road. And that guy is originally from NY, so he knows about rude drivers.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So here's how the fight almost started.

We are bar hopping along the Colorado river. In the town of Parker. AZ, 3 riverside bars are grandfathered in to be floating watering holes. Who doesn't like a waterside drinking establishment? Fast forward to our 3rd stop. It's a place called Sundance. It has the least amount of people from our other 2 stops. 1 of the couple from our previous stop is there. We assure them that we are not following/stalking them.

Vrai is drinking a blond ale called 805. She has had it at the other places also. I have my mixed drink and we are sitting riverside at the bar. Boats are roaring past. The breeze is blowing, carp are under the dock sneaking any french fry that may fall in the water.

Then an obscure sequence of events happens. Each sequence alone is no big deal. But string them all along together and they have the potential to have a very unpleasant ending for 1 or both parties. Here's my version of the event.

At some point 1 of the beer kegs runs out. There are 2 female bartenders working. A guy in let's say his mid 30s comes and changes out the keg. He is clearly an employee there. He's wearing a shirt that has the numbers 801 on the back across his back shoulders. On the front of the shirt it says Nomads. I ask him when he gets a free moment, can I ask him a question. He says he isn't working and that I should direct any questions to the barmaids. I tell him that I have a question about his shirt. My assumption being that since there is a draft beer called 805 and the fact that an obvious bar employee is wearing a 801 shirt that the possibility exists that 801 is also a draft beer. Then things go sideway quickly.

I'm informed by shirt wearing guy that 801 has nothing to do with beer. It is actually a motorcycle gang, blah. blah, yada. All spoken with a high degree of attitude. Then his final remark to me was "Any more stupid F&*^ing questions?".

So I reply in like kind. Not sure exactly what I said. Vrai is trying to keep things from ratcheting up a notch or 2. I do recall saying that I wasn't from around these parts and had no way of knowing anything about the local area. Anyway I threw a few of my own F bombs across the bar at the stupid ass who got insulted when I mistook his precious biker gang for a draft beer.

I haven't been in a meaning full fight in a few decades. I felt I had about 3-5 good punches before I ended up on the ground getting my head kicked in. But at that point I was weighing the options if that was a possibility I was willing to risk. I wasn't carrying and the chances of him carrying was about 50/50.

He takes his empty keg and head off. We go back to enjoying our day on the water. A while later bar dude comes back out and now he is wearing his gang's cut. I try to read a few of the patches. He comes over to where we are sitting since we have now relocated from the bar and are now closer to the river. In a move that both astounded and impressed me, he put out his hand and apologized to me for the way he spoke to me. He assumed I was in the Army since I was wearing a ball cap that was given to me by my son and represents his chosen military field. So things were quickly defused. Turns out he did 10 years in the Marines. Oohrah.

So that was our excitement for the day. We finally got some pictures. It really is attractive out here if only in a prehistoric way. I can't imagine anyone thinging that this was a good place to settle down an build a town. Other than the river it's 1 massive rock. Very little trees or vegetation. There seems to be a lot of rabbits and lizards for some unknown reason.

Today's temp has been around 100 - 102. It's actually bearable. That 116 was off the chart uncomfortable. I guess you get use to it out this way.

Here's a few pics from today.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Are you sure it wasn’t just 81? That number represents letters of the alphabet and Nomads a somewhat non-affiliation. Glad things turned out well. 👍

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Club, not gang.

Whatevsies. When he started walking over to us I had a moment of, "****, here we go..." Then he made nice so all was well. He mentioned that he got booted out of the Marines. I said, "What bad thing did you do?" and he replied, "I don't want to talk about it." Which was a first because usually strangers are just dying to tell me all about their dysfunction.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Whatevsies. When he started walking over to us I had a moment of, "****, here we go..." Then he made nice so all was well. He mentioned that he got booted out of the Marines. I said, "What bad thing did you do?" and he replied, "I don't want to talk about it." Which was a first because usually strangers are just dying to tell me all about their dysfunction.

When I read that - my first thought was: NO!!!?!!! Really?!!!

:roflmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here are some pics of the area:

Parker, AZ

Floating bar

Sunset at our RV place

Parker Dam

Partying at Lake Havasu