Greetings from Mathis, TX!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Go ahead - where??

Middle of no freaking where, that's where.

We're here because it's one of the few decent RV parks on Lake Corpus Christi, and Monello lets me have my way pretty much all the time so when he gets definitive on me - as in "I want to be on the Lake Corpus Christi for a month so I can fish every day" - that's what we do.

We were greeted upon arrival by loud demanding peacocks roaming around. There are also several emus and a passel of super cute goats and their babies. Apollo is scared of the emus and lays low around them, but he'll bark at the peacocks. I'm like, "Buddy, that peacock will kick your ass, too."

We're about 10 miles from the one horse town of Mathis and their dinky but adequate HEB. Beeville is a proper small city and it's about 20 miles away. Totally doable.

I was worried because our water smelled like farts, but after I ran it for a couple minutes it stopped stinking. Not like we drink campground water anyway, but doing dishes and brushing teeth would have become problematic. The rest of the park is nice - it's rustic like camping and not a slick resort. The bath house is fine and we're a short walk to the fishing pier. And since we both have inflatable boats, that's where we'll launch as well and not at the boat ramp on the other side.

This is our lake:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Beautiful there! My dad was stationed in Beeville many moons ago - before I was born. They were newlyweds still. The one thing I remember her always talking about was how little money they had and she made her own flour tortillas. It's where she learned how to make Enchiladas and it is the only way I still make them today. :yay:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Got me 2 fish today. A white bass and a catfish. Seems the lake is full of cats. The record bass is > 13 pounds. I'd settle for half of that.

Great day on the water today. Vrai christened her kayak. I rowed around with her then fished for 2 hours.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is literally nothing in this whole area. Technically we are in Swinney Switch, about 10 miles north of Mathis. Swinney Switch is fun to say, but consists of this campground, a rinky dink c-store, and Horney's Bar (which I'll get pics of because you need to see this thing).

Today I took Apollo to George West (that's a town, ya'll) to get groomed and a herd of javalina ran across the road. I'd never seen one in person. Here's the straggler than I managed to grab a pic of:

We also see roadrunners all over. This one was across the road from us at the campground:

And of course there are peacocks, emus, goats, horses, and all kinds of critters running around. Apollo's groomer had a gorgeous Longhorn steer standing there by the driveway. He was so perfect looking I thought he was fake.

Today it's been rainy and crummy and tomorrow I need it to straighten out so I can take my new kayak out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Had a nice Thanksgiving yesterday. The campground threw a pot luck, providing two turkeys - one roasted and one Cajun smoked - and everybody brought a dish. There were like 8 million desserts as well.

I've had a couple of great days on the lake with my new kayak. It's raining today and needs to knock it off so I can have a paddle tomorrow. Other than that it's ridiculously boring here and I suck at relaxing. But I have torn through my reading list, so that's something. I wish I had more to report - next time we come through this area we'll stay in Port Aransas.