Greetings from Port Aransas, TX!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh man, it's like night and day. Bright, clean RV resort with people sitting outside, kids playing, everyone enjoying themselves instead of ruing the life choices that made them end up at that other place.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I already caught 7 fish out of the little pond here. Nothing huge but better than nothing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Our RV park has a fishing pond.
DSCN6328.JPG

Much more appealing
DSCN6330.JPG

A lovely day at the beach
DSCN6366.JPG

Rock walk for fishing and enjoying the jetty
DSCN6371.JPG

Pelicans wait patiently on the pier for fishermen to lose a catch
DSCN6378.JPG

This was a pretty good dive bar
DSCN6380.JPG

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I am soooo jealous of you two.
I would love to do what you guys are doing.
Any words of advice to convince the wife?

Monello

PREMO Member
I am soooo jealous of you two.
I would love to do what you guys are doing.
Any words of advice to convince the wife?

I wish you luck. I think you have to expose people to the possibilities. Even some of our close friends were skeptical at first. But after a while they get comfortable with the idea. That helps them look at it more logically instead of the initial reaction of how it's an idea so far out of the norm.

Perhaps make a list of concerns then address them all. I know it's hard to just let it all go & hit the road. Some people are in a better position to do that. It seems the more ties you have, the more difficult it is to break free.

Monello

PREMO Member
Today we drove over to Roberts Point Park in Port Aransas. It's a city park right on the water. Half of the park is a marina with lots of boats and of course a ramp to launch from. The other side of the park is a mix of jungle gym, fish cleaning station, shuffleboard courts, horseshoe pits, basketball courts, volleyball courts, bocce ball lanes, fishing jetties, bike path, amphitheater, observation tower(closed due to hurricane Harvey), fishing pier(also closed) and a whole lot more. You can bird watch, dolphin watch, people watch and boat watch. The park encloses roughly 50 acres. This park sets the bar for other waterfront parks. You can view the ferry operation from the park along with the opposite bank going towards Aransas Pass.

Aerial view of the park
roberts point park.jpg

Today's weather was in the high 60s. The town is busy with everyone putting their finishing touches on Christmas. A few of the stores are still closed until next month. They keep telling us that next month it will be busier with the winter Texans arriving for the new year.

Port A promotional video

Port A has a lot to offer to the casual tourist. I'm shocked this place isn't packed this time of year. It shows well and isn't jam packed with humanity. Our campground is filling with the San Antonians on Christmas break. There are plenty of kids riding bikes and having fun. A few have even gone into the swimming pool. I may venture over to the hot tub but not sure I'm up to swimming just yet.

We only have just over a week here. I plan to try out a few of the fishing spots. I'm sure a taco or 2 are in my future as are some grilled gulf shrimp. Then its off to South Padre Island.

And if you are still reading, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Monello

PREMO Member
Once again Vrai's brilliant idea paid off in spades. Early after our arrival at the last place she wanted us to move. I was reluctant. Then there was the sex offender incident followed closely by multiple stray dogs. So we moved.

And now life here is wonderful. We have sat outside more in the few days we are here than the entire time we were at the other place. Come to think of it, I don't think we sat outside at all in Corpus. This campground shows well. It's only 3 1/2 years old. Plus they don't let people accumulate a lot of unsightly stuff on their sites. There are a lot of grackles here that serenade us in the mornings. They are neat birds that have a very distinct sound. If you have never heard them, check out the video:

Christmas eve we grilled out. The weather was marvelous. Our neighbors had some decent music coming from their campground. Quite a few rigs here are decorated. We are greeted by pleasant gulf breezes all day long. Today is a bit hyperwindy though.

Our Christmas gift exchange was modest. Since we don't have a huge amount of storage space, consumable items are often the way to go. This year I did not take my own advice. I got a replacement griddle for our grill. The grill is our go to way of cooking food these days. Now with the griddle section we can try some more items that don't grill very well. I'm even going to try and do some eggs on the griddle. We will use Vrai's gift tomorrow, weather permitting. It's passage on the pirate ship that is docked in the marina in Port A. I hope I can find my eye patch.

Yesterday Vrai wanted to catch a fish. So it was off to the pond. After I blew the dust off of her fishing pole we set out to catch dinner. Actually the pond is catch and release only. I'm OK with that as I don't like dealing with the fish after. Unless they are some salt water beasts and not the hand size fish that we would most likely be catching. We got 9 fish total. Vrai started out slow but caught fire at the end. I didn't take a camera with us, so no pictures. 2 chunky bass were caught along with a single redfish that looks like it battled a heron at some point in it's life. It's top fin was jacked up with some visible scars along it's back. I like a campground that has a fishing pond close by. Bonus when I can just walk over to wet a line.

Christmas dinner was local seafood. It appeared that most of the restaurants in town were closed. We drove around but didn't hit every possible spot. In the main areas in town all the lights were dimmed. A few restaurants have been closed since we got here. Some will open next month and others will wait until March to reopen. Kody's was open and they were doing a bang up business. We opened the front door and were greeted by at least a dozen people waiting in line. Turns out that you order when you walk in and get a number to display on your table. They had an abbreviated menu which was smart since they were packed. I'm sure the people working in the kitchen appreciated that.

Just a few more days here then we are off to our next adventure.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We don't have the room, plus we don't really need anything. So I got Monello a happy hour Pirate Ship Cruise here, and a sunset dinner cruise in South Padre Island. He got "me" a griddle for the grill and a pair of the pool floaties we coveted in...I think it was Naples. So we didn't really gift each other, we gifted us.

Christmas Eve we grilled steaks and asparagus, with an appetizer of cheesy jalapeno stuffed mushrooms, which we enjoyed with champipple. Christmas Day we were going to hit Whataburger but it was closed (!). We only saw one place open - Kody's, which is a roadhouse with fresh local seafood. Those other restaurants missed the boat by being closed because Kody's was packed. Monello had a seafood platter with fried flounder, shrimp, and oysters; I had the garlic fish, which was flounder doused in garlic butter. Nom.

It's pretty here and the campground is nice. I'd be sorry to leave except we're headed for SPI, which I'm really excited about!

Monello

PREMO Member
Today we took a drive down the beach. We covered the entire distance from Port A, down to the city limit of Corpus Christi. We have just a few more hours here before we head south. The area we are going to looks like it has a lot to offer. Here are some pics from our current location.

Yesterday we took a drive to the towns of Rockport & Fulton. Rockport was suggested by 1 of the mobile RV repair guys. When we got to Rockport, the lady in the visitor center suggested we go over to Fulton. Both of those cities suffered damage from hurricane Harvey. But they are bouncing back nicely. The greater Rockport area had 40 campground. Many of those places would not make the cut for places we would stay. But it does suggest that the area is worthy of a visit. They have quaint shops, with marinas and seaside neighborhoods.

Port A RV resort
DSCF9769.jpg

DSCF9776.jpg

The campground butts up to a nature preserve
DSCF9770.jpg

DSCF9773.jpg

Shuffleboard in the club house
DSCF9775.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We leave Port A tomorrow and if we weren't headed to fabulous South Padre Island I'd be really sad to go. I can see us coming back here again.