Greetings from Seligman, AZ

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

(Not my pic, we didn't take the camera when we went into town yesterday because we're dumb.)

Pronounced "Seh-LIG-man" (I was mispronouncing it and a local corrected me). It's famous for being the town that the movie "Cars" was based on and the birthplace of Route 66, not because that's where 66 originated but because it was the residents of Seligman who made Arizona declare it a historic highway. It's a one-horse town with maybe 500 residents

Our campground is off in the sticks with mountain views and a busy train track running alongside it. THIS is camping. It's somewhat rustic but so is everything else out in this neck of the country. Tons of Europeans here, of course, because they love our American history and think we're pretty cool, despite what the cranks on the internet say.

After we set up we were starving, so our campground lady directed us to Roadkill Cafe, where I had a burger the bartender recommended with bacon and hashbrowns on grilled Texas toast - yeah, yum. Afterward we did a windshield tour of the town and stopped at Black Cat Bar for a drinkie. Everything here has a history, nothing is brand new or modern.

The weather is LOVELY!! Daytime temps in the mid-90s with a nice breeze to keep you cool, and this morning at 5am when I walked the dog it was 65*. I had to dig out my sweatshirt.

About every half hour a train goes past, and we are situated so that I can see it out of the front window of the motorhome. This is one of the main complaints people had on TripAdvisor - that the trains go all night - but I sleep like the dead and train noise just makes me have sweet dreams.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So tonight we were bored - we saw kitschy Seligman downtown...so now what?

Across the street from our campground is a bar and pizza joint. We snubbed it the first night because the check-in lady said the pizza was bad

Liar.

That pizza was great. Thin crust, a little burnt, with generous toppings. Plus Teresa, our new favorite bartender who is also the Seligman school librarian, was quite cool. Down the bar from us there was a Trump guy and a California liberal having a squabble. Trump guy's wife is my new BFF.

I'm always sorry that I lost my alcoholism mojo. I wish I could still slam beers all night and wake up raring to go in the morning. As it stands, four is pushing it and I'm most likely going to be sorry in the morning with heartburn. The good news is that I can't drink enough anymore to get a real hangover.

The way people live in different parts of the country is fascinating. Not one person here sits in a cubicle for a living. They make stuff and haul stuff and do things that the rest of us don't know how to do. I like being me, but there's a part of me that wishes I was them.

1stGenSMIB

I find it extremely interesting that they advertise coffee in several foreign languages on the building in a town in the middle of nowhere...but not surprising giving your reports of all the foreigners that visit.

One little tip for Vrai when posting temps...Alt+248 is the Alt code for the temp symbol, but you need a real keyboard with a number pad, but then you can display it like, 90°. A dude from California showed me that on a boating forum years ago, so I am just passing it on.
Lots more to play with here too - https://www.alt-codes.net/ 🍻

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
On our ride to town yesterday we were met with a mob of tourists from Korea. Not sure how Seligman ended up as 1 of their stops but I'm sure the businesses in town appreciate that.

We ended up at the Snow Cap for a snack. I asked for mustard, as I was told I needed to do. The guests standing in line next to me were more shocked that I guess I was suppose to be. We chatted with 1 of the waitresses there. She's a local and went to school there. 1 thing that always fascinates me in small towns are the class sizes. This girl had 12 kids in her graduading class. Then she said 6 of the kids were from the rez and didn't know if that counted. I should of asked as a follow up what she meant by that. That has to be the smallest class I have heard of. Often in parts of Texas that is out of the way they have around 50 in the graduating class.

We drove along some of the back roads. This place is pretty depressed financially. Lots of homes in need of serious repair. Land is cheap here. 1 retail clerk said they paid $3,900 for 4 acres but you have to deal with your own utilities. They have a tiny house and solar with a water cistern. The bartender claims the only ones in the town making any money are the teachers at the school.

Speaking of water, so many don't have it that there is a place in town to fill up your truck or water bladder with water. I guess they have some serious water haulers here.

Things that seem to go with a Route 66 motif. James Dean, old time diners, Elvis Presley, vintage cars, bikers, museums. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things to add to the list.

We are still in the low 90°s during the day. I put the reflextix back on the windshield. Now we can't watch the trains go by. I miss having our picture window open to the outside world.

Monello

PREMO Member
Maybe short for 'reservation' ? Is there an Indian reservation nearby?
The Hualupai reservation is close by. Natives were somewhat visible in the town of Kingman. Out this way not so much.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe short for 'reservation' ? Is there an Indian reservation nearby?

I think he means why the res kids wouldn't count. Perhaps because they don't actually live in Seligman? No idea.

Our empty campground is surreal. Dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, trains going by every half hour or so, desolate in a Last Picture Show kind of way. This whole area is like nothing I've ever seen, so I'm glad we did a week stop so I could tuck another experience under my belt.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What I'm learning here is that there actually are places in America that a person could go, and never be found.

Oh my gosh, TONS of them! It's almost impossible to get lost in a city because they keep tabs on you, but not out here. You could set up a shelter and a couple solar panels, get your water in town at the water station, and nobody would ever know you're there. Wyoming would be another great place to disappear.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Do you guys have an itinerary of where you are going, or do you just wing it?

We usually start with a destination - Grand Canyon was the motivation for this leg. Then we see what cool places are between here and there, and we plan our route. When we leave Grand Canyon mid-Sept, we have three months to get to South Padre Island, where we are wintering this year. So Monello put together a route and potential cool places along the way, and I will explore them, perhaps make alternate suggestions to the route, find campgrounds, and make our reservations.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Popular destinations, I always make our reservations WAY far in advance because they book fast. Our Grand Canyon resort was booked last October. We booked SPI when we were there last year.

Monello

PREMO Member
What I'm learning here is that there actually are places in America that a person could go, and never be found.
Talking to some people out here, 1 person paid $3,900 for 4 acres. 1 person's ANNUAL property tax is $68. In the campground laundry room is a FSBO flyer for 2 acres for $5,000.

Here water is the issue. Plenty of sun for solar power. I'd take northern Arizona over a place like Idaho, Montana or Wyoming since you won't get the harsh winter with lots of snow. It snows here occasionally.

Speaking of water, there isn't much in Las Cruces, NM. But drive out of town a ways up in the mountains. Then hike back 2 miles and there is water coming out of the ground. High up in the mountains. It almost defies logic.

Monello

PREMO Member
Do you guys have an itinerary of where you are going, or do you just wing it?
If you are looking for a decent itinerary, email Vrai your destination along with the things you like and the things you like to avoid. She has the travel planner touch. It won't just be the big name sites, it will also include a few hidden gems.