Greetings from South Padre Island again!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

In the year since we last saw SPI, we have been in dust and mountains and dry and gravel. I got used to it and it became my world, and I'm not gonna lie the western landscape is a thing of beauty. Our last stop in Mathis was grubby and rustic, if you saw my car you'd have me arrested for abuse. Getting down to the lake was such a PITA that we didn't do as much of it as I thought we would, but the people there are terrific and they have a real community going on. Too bad it's in the middle of nowhere and a 20 mile drive to the nearest decent grocery store....

We had some trouble putting Mathis in our rearview this morning - the levelers were jacked up and didn't want to go up or down. Then they went up but we were concerned once we got to our next destination...on a Sunday...now what?

So I'm coming through Port Isabel with worries on my mind, and the second I started up that bridge - with the SPI skyline ahead and the gorgeous Laguna Madre all around me - I broke into the biggest grin and the world just seemed a better place.

We got settled in, the levelers magically fixed themselves, and tonight we went to dinner at Pier 19, which is part of the KOA (this campground is more of a resort than a straight KOA). Fresh fish, because they don't do that in the places we've been for the last year.

I'm really glad to be back in civilization - Mathis seemed like forever - and glad to be back at the beach. I remember loving Williams and Flagstaff, and Route 66, and Oatman, and all the wonderful places we've been in the last year, but I literally danced a jig when we pulled into this KOA.

:dye:

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
CONGRATULATIONS on your new job! :love: You're gonna be awesome!

p.s. We can't wait to come see y'all! I've never been to Texas!! 🤸

littlelady

God bless the USA
Awesome, vrai. If it doesn’t work out for you as an owner of the forum, travels, or Monello, you could make a living at writing. Your writing skills are exceptional. I have, always, told you that since my time here. Maybe, you should look into writing about traveling our great Country. You could be published. Hub just got included in a book about ultra running. Safe travels, and thanks for this forum.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Nah, nothing launching for at least a month. They are still building parts for MK 3, maybe 2 months out. Lots of construction of facilities, and fabrication of rocket parts, all out in the open.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yesterday we took the boats out.

It was a great paddle and I got a nice workout coming back in against the current. :lol: Saw a school of dolphins in the laguna, people out on the tour boats, everyone enjoying the day.

Afterward we went to Laguna BOB for happy hour, which is why I've been up since 3am with indigestion.

But it was worth it. Since I was already making poor choices by drinking alcohol, we decided to get a pizza and really party it up. D'Pizza Joint is right up the street from Laguna BOB and they have pretty good chow. A Texas thing is "tater kegs" that are extra large tots stuffed with something - last night's stuffing was like a seafood newburg with shrimp and crab. Tasty stuff.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My sweetie is on his way to NJ where he and his mama will jump on a cruise ship and head for the Caribbean for two weeks. Meanwhile, I'm already in paradise. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did a sunset Pirate Cruise this evening. It was geared more toward kids but still fun.

Uh oh...pissed off the Captain....

It's been super foggy because it's warm and humid

Tomorrow is....sorry, guys...a pool party. But you all had some warm weather the last couple of days, so it's not so painful. :jet:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I feel kind of bad about SPI being Bann's first trip to Texas because it's more like Florida here. Real Texas is Bandera, or San Antonio, or the great small towns around Austin. Fresh made tortillas and amazing Mexican food, great BBQ so abundant that you won't be there long enough to try every offering, people who wear boots and hats every day for function.

She will find SPI similar to Panama City Beach, and she'll enjoy it but it won't be quintessential Texas. I'll have to think of something Texasy for us to do while she's here so she doesn't feel cheated....

SPI is famous for sand castles, which is not terribly Texas:

frequentflier

happy to be living
I feel kind of bad about SPI being Bann's first trip to Texas because it's more like Florida here. Real Texas is Bandera, or San Antonio, or the great small towns around Austin. Fresh made tortillas and amazing Mexican food, great BBQ so abundant that you won't be there long enough to try every offering, people who wear boots and hats every day for function.

She will find SPI similar to Panama City Beach, and she'll enjoy it but it won't be quintessential Texas. I'll have to think of something Texasy for us to do while she's here so she doesn't feel cheated....

View attachment 144516

View attachment 144517

View attachment 144518

View attachment 144516

View attachment 144517

View attachment 144518
Though up for an adventure, I think Bann is coming to see and spend time with you and Monello. Even if it rains every day, I am sure it will be a fun trip (not trying to jinx her visit)

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Nah, she's coming to see Texas. :lol:

I really wanted her to come to Grand Canyon with us but she couldn't make it work.

Well, yeah - I am - but I'm also going to be glad to come to SPI. You've been saying that I'd love it there since the first time you were there! At least I have a layover in Houston! :lol:

I was bummed about the Grand Canyon, for sure. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
At least I have a layover in Houston! :lol:

Houston airport is super Texasy, so at least you'll get a taste. Also we're looking at going back to Grand Canyon for summer of 2021 - I'm hoping to workcamp for a season of 4 to 6 months. So keep that in mind and maybe you can make it out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonight we went on a lovely sunset dinner cruise aboard a catamaran. The weather wasn't looking promising this morning and early afternoon, but by 3pm it cleared up, warmed up, and the gods smiled on us.

Entertainment by a surprisingly talented girl with a guitar - think a less emo Sarah McLaughlin.

We ate grilled shrimp

And fajitas

And fresh fruit for dessert

It was a wonderful evening