Greetings from the Keys!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It has been in interesting 2 days to say the least. It all started with us rushing out at 5am to lower the awning after having been woken up to what I would describe as similar to rolling down a bumpy road. The entire RV shook as the wind assaulted us from the bay. We must have been a sight to see, the 2 of us struggling to get everything accomplished in order to lower the awning. I have and additional tie down for these types of winds. It was dark, rainy and the wind was whipping up something fierce.

Just as the awning was almost all the way retracted it stopped about a foot and a half from closing. It wouldn't go either up nor down. It seems the wfind that was pushing up from below was preventing it from retracting. So we took turns holding the strap while troubleshooting what to do. It had never happened before so we were in unchartered waters. Did I mention it the wind was whipping and it was raining? Then the wind let up just enough for the last little bit of fabric to roll back into it's housing. Mission accomplished.

Wet and bewildered, we retreated inside. It was 1 of those moments where you just moved on autopilot. Our feet were cut by the cocina and burrs that are common here. Quickly changing clothes I contemplated going back to be but was too amped up to fall back to sleep.

The rest of the day was uneventful other than marveling at the winds. Sometime around noon the wind died down. It rained on & off the rest of the day. I managed to catch a later nap and woke in time to catch the 4th quarter of the Army Navy game. 2 late false start penalties torpedoed the midshipmen.

Apollo's late night walk I only wore shorts and a t shirt. That is pretty much what I live in down here. It was right on the borderline of being chilly but it was refreshing at the same time. There are 2 couples tent camping on a little grassy outcropping right on the bay. I talked to them a while. They were pointed toward mildly inebriation while contemplating their lot in life. They were already here but didn't count on the weather not cooperating. 1 of the gals said she planned on sleeping in the car. They asked what lot I was staying in, incase they needed to bail later that night. I forgot what number I told them, but it wasn't ours.

Finally retiring after midnight, I chose to wear earplugs to bed because the wind was as bad as I have ever experienced living in the RV. This morning the temperature was a brisk 58. I had to turn on the heater. I went back to the seawall to capture some pictures. 2 days ago the bay was flat calm. Now it's all roiled up. Not sure how long it will take for the water to clear.

Not sure what we will do today. I'm sure we'll go somewhere as yesterday was enough cabin fever as either of us are comfortable enduring. Pics to follow.

Monello

PREMO Member
The worst 3 days of my recent life!!!

They turned the heat back on down here. YEAH.

It was touch & go for a while. Long pants and sweatshirts. Lord, give me strength.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
The worst 3 days of my recent life!!!

They turned the heat back on down here. YEAH.

It was touch & go for a while. Long pants and sweatshirts. Lord, give me strength.

It has been brutal down here the last few days with the temps. TWO mornings in a row I have woken up to a frost. Monday I went to fill the water tubs and the blipping handle snapped in half...plastic in the cold not the best. Got lectured a bit by the land lord on doing that. UGH 7 am filling tubs on auto-pilot brain isn't functioning.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's super boring here and I'm not hot on our campground. I mean, I kind of am, but not really. The pool is great, but we're getting ready to be inundated with children for the holidays, so it's unlikely we'll be using it for a couple of weeks.

Monello is getting some good fishing in, though. He caught two sharks yesterday.

It sounded so cool to spend two winter months in the Keys, and not gonna lie - when you all are talking about cold and snow, I'm pretty happy to be here and not there. It doesn't appear there was a lot going on before the hurricane, but now there's really not a lot going on. Lots of cool bars and outdoor restaurants, but that doesn't coincide with my weight loss plan. So far I'm down two sizes.

:thewave:

I like little towns with a walky/shoppy area. I like to sightsee. I think tomorrow we'll take off and make a run south, just to see what we see. I have been assured that there's nothing there until you get to Key West, but I'm okay with seeing for ourselves. We tend to find things we like that other people don't consider very interesting.

We have another month to go and I'm already chewing my arm off.

Monello

PREMO Member
While I was fishing today, I put 2 poles out. 1 pole had a live pinfish on it. I use a baitrunner reel. If you are not familiar with a baitrunner, it's like keeping the bail open and the bait can run free. All you have to do is turn the handle to disengage the freespooling line. When the bait gets eaten, the reel clicks as the line peels out faster.

I have a small shark on the pole that I use to fish for bait. It's also the setup that I use for bass fishing. I think it has 8 pound test on it. Anyhow I have a shark on, working it into the boat when I can but mostly letting it run to tire out. Then the other pole goes off. I hustle to land the shark. Then I set the hook on the other pole. It's a good hookset. The fish starts taking major league line. I start to see my back of my spool. I only have a few turns of line left. I pump and get a good amount of line back. Then the fish makes another strong run. I have a good amount of pressure on the pole. Line is peeling off like the line was attached to a Buick. I watch the amount of line dwindle as it heads further away. The fish is swimming too fast to think about reeling. I watch the line go down to almost nothing. Then all I see is the empty silver spool. Then I hear a pop as the last of the line breaks free from the spool.

I've never been spooled before while spin fishing. I had a salmon spool my fly reel a few years back. I've since respooled the line and hope to get back out tomorrow. I don't know what I hooked into. I was using a live pinfish for bait. I know tarpon will eat them. I caught a sharpnose shark on a pinfish last week.

I used a sabiki rig to fish for bait. They aren't legal in Maryland unless you use 1 with only 3 hooks. My rig today had 6 hooks. Tipped with squid cubes. I did manage to hook quite a few reef fish today. I even landed 2 smaller bonnethead sharks with the sabiki rig. My best take was 4 fish at once.

A sad sight
DSCF9282.jpg

4 fish on 1 rig
DSCF9274.jpg

DSCF9279.jpg

A puffy puffer
DSCF9277.jpg

DSCF9269.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
Part of today's haul
DSCF9294.jpg

DSCF9295.jpg

I caught a ride with another camper. He's been coming here for the last 7 years. Sure help going with someone that knows the lay of the land or water. We had a ton of small yellowtail snapper. Had a couple of nice mutton snappers. The rest were porgies and a few remora thrown in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, I think I'm settling in. It's actually hot here today - we'll be heading off to the pool here shortly.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I got done with work around 3pm and we went to my favorite Marathon bar, Keys Fisheries. Their specialty is a Lobster Reuben, which sounds disgusting but it was really good. The kraut was mild and didn't overpower the lobster, and this beast was HUGE. Monello and I split one, and each had a cup of soup - lobster bisque for him, stone crab for me - and I couldn't finish my soup.

The website makes it look fansy but it's not. It's a shack at a marina, where you get your food at a window and either sit at the bar inside, the picnic tables outside, or take your food upstairs to the Krakken Bar (like we did).

This is a recipe for their mustard sauce, which is the perfect thing for crab. Maryland needs to adopt this.

https://www.keysfisheries.com/2017/10/06/stone-crab-mustard-sauce/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Circle K next to the ice machine we frequent sells frozen chocolate covered Key lime pie on a stick and it's absurdly decadent. I keep saying I'll have another one before we leave, but I probably won't.

We swam yesterday, which I think is the first time I've ever been to a pool on Christmas Day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is the second large squall we've had since we've been here. They get serious wind in the Keys. And if this is just a normal squall, I can't even imagine what that hurricane must have been like.

I'm guessing because it's just a little sliver of land between the ocean and the Gulf, there's nothing to slow it down or break it up. The residents are going about their business, not alarmed at all. I, on the other hand, have a racing pulse.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So anyway, I didn't do this right either. Middle Keys is boring but Key West is super cool. So next time we'll bite the financial bullet and ease on all the way down. We're here for the night and if you ever find yourself in need of Key West accommodations, consider the Sheraton. It's a nice environment on its own, but it's also right across the street from the beach and they have a shuttle that will take you to the point and back for FREE. AND it was more economical, plus because I'm a rewards member they upgraded us.

Did I already tell you to hook up with the hotel rewards programs???

Anyway, we had a blast today and it was just what I needed. I'm sick that we spent - I'm ashamed to tell you this - $2300 per month to stay in the campground that I dislike when we could have gotten a better deal in a better location. Lesson learned.

Sunset Mallory Square

mallory.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
I caught some bait with a sabiki rig. Twice I got 4 fish at once. Down here even the baitfish put up a decent fight. I kept the pinfish then hooked them on a different rod.
sb1.jpg

And this is the outcome. 2 sharks today. I had another but couldn't seal the deal. Got 3/4ths of my bait back
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
Are you eat shark steak?

No. I bring them in closer and let them loose right by the swimming hole. I should probably keep a few since there appears to be quite a few sharks down here.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This is the second large squall we've had since we've been here. They get serious wind in the Keys. And if this is just a normal squall, I can't even imagine what that hurricane must have been like.

I'm guessing because it's just a little sliver of land between the ocean and the Gulf, there's nothing to slow it down or break it up. The residents are going about their business, not alarmed at all. I, on the other hand, have a racing pulse.

You have not lived until you've gotten caught in a big one of those whilst bringing a multi-million dollar yacht up from Key West right along the outer coast where you are...and there is simply no where big enough to duck in and hide so you ride it out.

It's "fun"... ;-p

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You have not lived until you've gotten caught in a big one of those whilst bringing a multi-million dollar yacht up from Key West right along the outer coast where you are...and there is simply no where big enough to duck in and hide so you ride it out.

It's "fun"... ;-p

I'm surprised that you and Bird Dog don't know each other. You all run in a lot of the same circles.