Groin Hernia

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Hubby is scheduled for surgery for double groin hernias (ouch!), but surgery is still 2 weeks away. He's really struggling with pain. Any suggestions on things he can do to make the next 2 weeks easier? I'm gonna call the doc tomorrow, but I know y'all will have some thoughts.

TIA

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Probably just call the doc and get some pain pills or see if he can take Advil or something.

Good luck to him - that doesn't sound like fun.

my-thyme

Patron
I've been trying to adjust his diet some, lots of fruits and veggies, but he's a meat and potato guy.

So not only is the pain bothering him, but the diet is making him grumpy.

Poor baby. :poorbaby:

hitchicken

Get a truss. Consume 30 g or more of soluble fiber (buy as a quick dissolving white soluble fiber - CVS, Walmart). Mix with food. Drink lots of water (2 liters) per day. Use Bean-O with meals. Use simethicone (Gas-X, OTC). Use Mira-Lax. No carbonated beverages. No gassy foods. Ask doc for Linzess. Get Percocet if you need to.

Yeah, I got an inguinal hernia and opted NOT to have the sketchy surgery due to potential dangers and complications. Had lots of pain, did the above and now I don't. I living with it just fine. Use soluble fiber and water regularly. Occasionally, 2 Gas-X. The rest I hold for emergency. So far, I've rarely needed them. Knock on...

Last edited:

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
surgery for double groin hernias
Inguinal hernias? i had both sides done recently, albeit in separate ops. I didn't have any pain before surgery, but, oh boy, was the week after a different story. I was uncomfortable before hand because the intestines push out through the weakened abdominal muscles, but it was not serious pain. It always settled down when I laid down on my back, thus taking the pressure off of the affected area.

When you have a double hernia, the last thing I would want to do is pack my intestines with slow moving meat. No way! Might as well as eat some concrete mix and drink a gallon of water, then jump up and down a bit to mix it all up.

The meat and potatoes guy comment reminds me of the person in my family who is dying from every self-inflicted disease (mainly diabetes, but a few extras on top) known to man because he refuses to eat healthy food.

my-thyme

Patron
Yeah, he seems to be most uncomfortable after eating. The salad last night settled better than the pattie melt tonight.

Thanks, David. Hope you are back to 100%!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
CBD oil. Sold at local vape shops (at least in Lusby). Cancer patients use it to deal with pain from chemo/treatment.

my-thyme

Patron
Tying him to the couch would probably also work. Barely 630 in the morning, and he's out in the garage. And he'll be there all day. Replacing the motor in his truck. F^#$%! I don't know why I bother to worry. :banghead:

Remember, this is the guy that uses a brillo pad as a shower wash cloth......