Groom dodged a bullet AND fed the homeless

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/weird/2015/10/19/canceled-wedding-leads-feast-homeless/74206378/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — After a California couple called off their wedding, the bride-to-be's family decided to turn the $35,000 extravagant event into a feast for the homeless.

The bride's mother, Kari Duane, said Sunday that rather than cancel the reception, they invited Sacramento's homeless for a once in a lifetime meal Saturday at the Citizen Hotel, one of the city's finest venues.

Duane said her 27-year-old daughter called her Monday to tell her she and her fiance had decided not go through with the wedding. Soon after, the family decided to share the nonrefundable event with the less fortunate.

"Even though my husband and I were feeling very sad for our daughter, it was heartwarming to see so many people be there and enjoy a meal," Duane said.

Restitution

I'm guessing the dad couldn't get a refund for the event so he decided to teach them a lesson.

Either way... at least some less fortunate people got to have a nice meal.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Teach who a lesson?

I guess he means the wedding venue for not giving them a refund :confused: But there's contracts involved. If you cancel that a week before it happens, no one's getting a refund and that's completely reasonable and understandable :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I guess he means the wedding venue for not giving them a refund :confused: But there's contracts involved. If you cancel that a week before it happens, no one's getting a refund and that's completely reasonable and understandable :shrug:

I understand that part. I've been married before.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
was explaining to restitution. he/she seems to think the venue did something wrong.

Ok. You quoted me, so I was confused. No where in the story did it indicate that the father was upset with the venue.

Duane said her 27-year-old daughter called her Monday to tell her she and her fiance had decided not go through with the wedding. Soon after, the family decided to share the nonrefundable event with the less fortunate.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I wonder if - by "donating" the meal to the homeless - it becomes a tax write-off somehow as a charitable contribution. :eyebrow:

PeoplesElbow

I wonder if - by "donating" the meal to the homeless - it becomes a tax write-off somehow as a charitable contribution. :eyebrow:

I would say only if he has nonprofit tax status. Buying a homeless guy on the street a hot dog isnt tax deductible, but donating a hotdog to a non profit is.

This_person

That was my first thought as well. Went from a $35,000 expense to a $35,000 "donation". I'm sure he found a legal way to write it off, since he couldn't get his money back.