Grooming Question

MorganLover

I just can't seem to get my mares coat clean this spring. With her winter coat coming out she is showing a lot of dirt, no matter how long i brush her it actually seems to get worse. What do you guys recommend for this? can i use a shop vac on her? i don't have a horse vacuum but i figured a shop vac should work as well. I haven't been able to give her a bath b/c it has just been tooooo cold for my hands to stand being in the water. So what do you guys recommend?

fredsaid2

A shop vac would work if she doesn't mind the noise. They sell a grooming attachment, you'll have to google it. Give her a good all over curry to bring up the scurf then vac it away.

MorganLover

I use 3 different kinds of curry's on her lol, then the softer brush the the finishing brush and she still looks like she hasn't been brushed, she has never been like this in the 3 years i have owner her. This crazy spring we are having must really be messing up their skin and coats.

fredsaid2

The vac and curry attachment is still a great option when you can't or don't have time for bathing. It's nice to spend the same amount of time you would hand grooming and get a much cleaner coat. Have fun this weekend at your ride!

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
a wet rag? i know this works with my horse during shows when she comes off the trailer and her feet and legs aren't white any more...

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
You could hot towel, but that can take a while. In my younger days I worked for a company that groomed horses. Some of the auctions were in the cold winter months and it really worked well to bring the dirt (& dust) to the top.

Ditto Sadielady though. This weekend it is going to sooooooo warm. If it were me I'd wait to bath, but only if water is heating.

R

remaxrealtor

I use Cowboy Magic sprayed on a finishing brush, picks up the dirt.