Grossed out

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm currently reading Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal and just realized that when you shuck an oyster and snarf it down, it's still alive. And, according to Mary Roach, it can stay alive in your stomach for several minutes before succumbing to digestive acids and body temperature.

Now I am completely grossed out and will never eat another oyster as long as I live. Guh. They should make a horror movie about this.

?

..._

I'm currently reading Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal and just realized that when you shuck an oyster and snarf it down, it's still alive. And, according to Mary Roach, it can stay alive in your stomach for several minutes before succumbing to digestive acids and body temperature.

Now I am completely grossed out and will never eat another oyster as long as I live. Guh. They should make a horror movie about this.

Yup.....remember: Eat them fried, stewed, but never in the nude!!!

( either you OR the oyster)

:duh:

:coffee:

I used to breed oysters. I would look at them under the microscope. There is no way I would ever eat an uncooked oyster, or any other bivalve or crustacean.

I know how you feel... I actually sat next to itsbob once when he got he steak served to him so undercooked and bloody it still had a pulse...:bawl:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

RoseRed and I are completely vindicated! :yahoo: :lmao:

Glad I turned you onto her. I absolutely adore the writings of Mary Roach and have read all her books except this one. Have it but just haven't had time to read it, knowing if I start it I won't put it down until I finish it. :cheers:

BOP

I know how you feel... I actually sat next to itsbob once when he got he steak served to him so undercooked and bloody it still had a pulse...:bawl:

So you're saying they ran the cow through the dining room and he carved a hunk off as it ran by? Was it still mooing?

mudpuddle

I almost didn't read this thread--don't like to be grossed out!
This grossed me out!
I used to love raw oysters--better than clams.
Now I don't think I can ever eat them raw again! lol
I guess I was meant to know this fact! lol

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I almost didn't read this thread--don't like to be grossed out!
This grossed me out!
I used to love raw oysters--better than clams.
Now I don't think I can ever eat them raw again! lol
I guess I was meant to know this fact! lol

If our food was sterile we'd all die by the time we reached 30... this "stuff" in raw food helps you build up immunities and it's good for you no matter how gross it is...

mamatutu

mama to two
If our food was sterile we'd all die by the time we reached 30... this "stuff" in raw food helps you build up immunities and it's good for you no matter how gross it is...

That is so true. I think about the guy that tried the first oyster, clam or crab; you know it had to be raw. If raw oysters could kill, everyone in New Orleans would have been dead along time ago. Don't forget the Tabasco! :yum:

Last edited:

MMM_donuts

RoseRed and I are completely vindicated! :yahoo: :lmao:

Glad I turned you onto her. I absolutely adore the writings of Mary Roach and have read all her books except this one. Have it but just haven't had time to read it, knowing if I start it I won't put it down until I finish it. :cheers:

:yay:
I picked up Stiffs after reading about it here.....I think by Vrai. I'll be reading this one, too.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:yay:
I picked up Stiffs after reading about it here.....I think by Vrai. I'll be reading this one, too.

I told her about that one and despite some initial misgivings, she loved it. It's still my most favorite book ever - perfect blend of science and humor. :yay:

Oh, and it's "Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach.

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Wenchy introduced me to oysters on the half shell at Chef's Bistro. They were delicious. She didn't mention anything about whether the little fellows were still alive or not, and even if I had known, it wouldn't have mattered much. I mean, things die and they get eaten; I don't suppose it matters much with oysters whether they die on the veranda or in the basement.

Now, I'm not a fan of sushi. But those oysters were awesome.

Oyster tales for me include various triumphs and desecrations of oyster stew; fortunately for me I haven't had the courage to attempt frying them yet.

Anyway, the luncheon at Chef's is something I will never forget. Now I've got a jones for some oysters on the half shell.

ZARA

I think I was 9 the first time I tried oysters...I got violently sick. Tried them 4 more times...getting sick each time...before we realized..I'm allergic to them. :doh:
*Go parents! :sarcasm:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Exactly how alive is an oyster anyways ?. Except for the smell the live ones and the dead ones look exactly the same.