groups and teams

IntegritysDream

So other then NCEL and pony club, what other organzations are there in our area for teens and kids like me that want to join in something to better their skills and that might look good for college or have like scholarships or something you can win or just are good to get you out there or what not... are there? :whistle:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
So other then NCEL and pony club, what other organzations are there in our area for teens and kids like me that want to join in something to better their skills and that might look good for college or have like scholarships or something you can win or just are good to get you out there or what not... are there? :whistle:

4-H....they actually give some decent scholarships. Believe it or not I used to be a 4-H leader.:faint:

devinej

OMG sadie in 4H that's something.

is the 4h active around here? pony club active? dunno about anything else.... in high school i did interscholastic riding, but i think that was a boarding school thing. but there are basically no scholarships that have to do with riding horses. unfortunately....unless a lot has changed in 7 years

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
OMG sadie in 4H that's something.

is the 4h active around here? pony club active? dunno about anything else.... in high school i did interscholastic riding, but i think that was a boarding school thing. but there are basically no scholarships that have to do with riding horses. unfortunately....unless a lot has changed in 7 years

I used to actually be in 4-H when I was a kid, but I only wanted to show and do horsy stuff. They actually wanted me to be well rounded. The MADE me put something in the fair, so I pulled some weeds and put them in a coke can and said it was a flower arrangement. They did not think it was funny. I can't remember if I quit or got kicked out.:whistle: IN WA state the only people that seemed to ride on the tiny little island was 4-H ers, so I became a leader and called them the "rubber boot gang". They were the only riders I had that refused to buy real boots (at first). Of course I converted them. No offense to those that really like wearing rubber!:lmao:

devinej

Hehehehehe rubber boot gang those are great for wading in the creek. which i did today. except without rubber boots....cold wet feet. but by golly that pony got in the creek.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Ditto what was said about 4-H & Pony Club!!:yahoo:

PONY CLUB : Loved going Cross County at the old Howard County Pony Club. Jumping 3'3" Coups on an 11.2 pony.:lmao: Games Rallies are so much fun & the dressage training taught me how to sit a trot. I know our local Pony Club met once a week on Wednesday's between May & October for Mounted lessons. Do the local Pony Clubs in this area do the same thing?

4-H : Fun, Fun, Fun. Got to fly to Chicago when they were holding the National Record book conference in the Windy City. National winners earn scholarships. Many chance to be a member of a state team that travels to National competitions.

Both organizations are worth being a part of!! Like everything else though you get out of it what you put into it. Hard work & dedication pays off.

bosox

try it you might just like it

yea see with PC you cant do hunter eq =(

Good riding is good riding no matter what discipline you ride. While sitting forward may be wrong for several fences out XC--there is something to be said for someone who knows their distances and when their horse gets into a pickle in the S/J course--the rider can rate the tempo to get the right distance.

Lots of stereotypes out there so be open minded and try it and see if it could be a match for you. It won't hurt to try the club functions but if you assume that you can't do something or won't like it--then you might just be missing out on becoming a well-rounded rider. I think it is great for all show hunters to get out of the ring. Very few actually do.

--PC is great fun for kids who love horses and want a group of kids to ride with. One member of our PC got a 60k scholarship to UMD for their Equine Studies program. Now she was a graduate A rider with good grades and SAT scores--but still 60k is a nice scholarship for any student.

Last edited:

IntegritysDream

Good riding is good riding no matter what discipline you ride. While sitting forward may be wrong for several fences out XC--there is something to be said for someone who knows their distances and when their horse gets into a pickle in the S/J course--the rider can rate the tempo to get the right distance.

Lots of stereotypes out there so be open minded and try it and see if it could be a match for you. It won't hurt to try the club functions but if you assume that you can't do something or won't like it--then you might just be missing out on becoming a well-rounded rider. I think it is great for all show hunters to get out of the ring. Very few actually do.

--PC is great fun for kids who love horses and want a group of kids to ride with. One member of our PC got a 60k scholarship to UMD for their Equine Studies program. Now she was a graduate A rider with good grades and SAT scores--but still 60k is a nice scholarship for any student.

Yeah i agree, when eventing season comes back around, im going to go with my friend to places and do combined tests. Id like to do eventing maybe at somepoint, but my pony doesnt agree with the whole Xcountry thing.. esp when it comes to water! =p :lmao: But im sticking with hunter/eq as my main discipline, dressage is becoming my 2nd main thing who knows what will happen down the road though, my pony has started to really suprize me here lately!

IntegritysDream

oh my friend is in PC (the one im going to do combine tests with) and the reason why im saying about scholarships is because i do get very good grades (cept in math, C is my general average in that... i just dont get it!) and really try, but unless i get a scholarship and student loans or something, there is no way well be able to afford it in 2 years! And i was reading that some organzations give out scholarships if you win/achieve them so yeah..

eventrder

oh my friend is in PC (the one im going to do combine tests with) and the reason why im saying about scholarships is because i do get very good grades (cept in math, C is my general average in that... i just dont get it!) and really try, but unless i get a scholarship and student loans or something, there is no way well be able to afford it in 2 years! And i was reading that some organzations give out scholarships if you win/achieve them so yeah..

PC is active Very active, you just dont hear about it much becasue you have to be a memeber to compete in most of their activities unless its a fundraiser. PC is a wonderful experience, you will learn so much its crazy. The oppertunities that they offer are amazing, That is where I got hooked up with David O'Conner. They do alot seems like there is something every weekend if you want. If you want more info PM me.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Anybody remember knowdown in PC? I always had fun with that...

Man I would study so hard for Knowdown (PC) & Horse Bowl (4-H), but would always be so nervous. :jameo: I'll take stable inspection anyday vs Knowdown & Horse Bowl. I still remember one Rally when someone from another club had stirrup leather that the stiching was in need of repair & the stable management judges pulled them right apart so they couldn't use them. Luckily they were able to get a pair from another club.

W

WhoCares

I was in 4-h and remember the studying my tail off for the Horsebowl, hippology, and doing my visual presentations. I went to the state level for all of them and that was about it.

I did the county horse shows, the regional horse shows, and state horse shows. Granted I rode Saddle Seat, but I had to compete against some very expensive horses that rode on the A morgan circuit.

It was a great experience for me.