Guinea Pigs and Fleece Bedding

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
We're thinking about getting a guinea pig (maybe two?) for the young'n so I'm researching the heck out of it before we make a decision. I've come across the concept of layering fleece over towels in lieu of the traditional shavings for bedding. Do any of you have experience with this? Also, does this cage seem adequate? It seems like a healthy medium between the gigantic cages and the really small ones that the pet stores try to pass off as being for guinea pigs.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
We're thinking about getting a guinea pig (maybe two?) for the young'n so I'm researching the heck out of it before we make a decision. I've come across the concept of layering fleece over towels in lieu of the traditional shavings for bedding. Do any of you have experience with this? Also, does this cage seem adequate? It seems like a healthy medium between the gigantic cages and the really small ones that the pet stores try to pass off as being for guinea pigs.

I suppose you could use fleece, but you'd be washing a lot of pee soaked fleece..also shavings can be dangerous, never use cedar, no matter what the package says and pine isn't much better. I alsways bought the paper bedding and layered it on top of newspaper (some piggies eat it, so don't use if yours do) and a few extra layers in his favorite potty spot..he def went mostly in one place so I could remove the litter and a few layers every few days and a major cleanup less often. That cage looks ok for maybe one piggie..two if they also have some free safe area to run in (never put them in exercise balls, those can harm their spine) once a day or so. The best cage is a cloroplast and cubes cage..easy and fairly cheap to make..two piggies need at least a 4x2 cage..you can also make it smaller but with an upper level to allow them extra space..most go up ramps pretty easily.

And also, using fleece would probably look very unsightly, the paper litter helps hide the mess. Plus, bacteria growing in the fabric from urine sounds gross lol.

If you don't already have a source for the piggies..I've adopted from the metropolitan guinea pig rescue..they have bonded pairs you can adopt, eliminating oopsie babies from wrong sexed pigs at the pet store, or fighting once they get older.

I loved my piggggies to death. Id let you have my c and c cage but im clingin to the hope I can get another pair without so burning the house down like he threatened :(

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Oh and always get two..they are herd animals and get really lonely. My piggie was soooo much happier when I got his gf. Watching them interact is really cool too. Pigs have rather specific nutrition needs, and need regular nail clipping and regular cleaning of their cage..but they are truely awesome pets. Hamsters don't do anything and require little work..but guinea pigs will talk with you, interact with you, and enjoy your company. They are not ideal for young kids..but for a little bit older ones they are great!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
The best cage is a cloroplast and cubes cage..easy and fairly cheap to make..two piggies need at least a 4x2 cage..you can also make it smaller but with an upper level to allow them extra space..most go up ramps pretty easily.
I've seen these and they definitely look like the best option. Is there someplace locally that sells the chloroplast and cubes? It's not something that's ever been on my radar so perhaps it's right under my nose and I've never noticed. :lol:
If you don't already have a source for the piggies..I've adopted from the metropolitan guinea pig rescue..they have bonded pairs you can adopt, eliminating oopsie babies from wrong sexed pigs at the pet store, or fighting once they get older.
Thanks, I'll look into them if we decide to get some!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I've seen these and they definitely look like the best option. Is there someplace locally that sells the chloroplast and cubes? It's not something that's ever been on my radar so perhaps it's right under my nose and I've never noticed. :lol:

Thanks, I'll look into them if we decide to get some!

I actually ordered mine as a "kit" on ebay..several guinea pig sites sell them to benefit their rescue efforts as well. I think mgpr sells them even. It is probably cheaper to get the things on your own..I read that sign companies should have it..maybe call a few? I have also seen several successful cages made of plastic totes..big ones and sometimes two connected by holes cut in the side and tubes for a sleep/play and a food/water area do you have cats? I had to keep my cage covered because of the cats (they never tried anything but I don't trust em) but if you don't you can leave the cages open..guinea pigs can't really climb..so two under the bed type totes cut and put together would work. great..or even use that for the bottom and put the cubes around it. There are great ideas for homemade cages online..it really dan be anything that works for you..as long as the bottom is solid (they can break their feet on wire) the edges are high enough to contain the litter and the ton of hay they go through lol and they have a little room to run

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
The cubes are easy to find..they are just wire shelving kits from walmart or lowes :) its the chloroplast that's tough..which is what the signs shops should have. Sorry for the jumbly responses im typing on my phone which is annoying to edit.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Oh and always get two..they are herd animals and get really lonely. My piggie was soooo much happier when I got his gf. Watching them interact is really cool too. Pigs have rather specific nutrition needs, and need regular nail clipping and regular cleaning of their cage..but they are truely awesome pets. Hamsters don't do anything and require little work..but guinea pigs will talk with you, interact with you, and enjoy your company. They are not ideal for young kids..but for a little bit older ones they are great!
He is 9 (will be 10 in March)...he's wanted a guinea pig for awhile, but we have just started talking about it as a possibility within the last few days. We may decide to wait until he's a little older.

I actually ordered mine as a "kit" on ebay..several guinea pig sites sell them to benefit their rescue efforts as well. I think mgpr sells them even. It is probably cheaper to get the things on your own..I read that sign companies should have it..maybe call a few? I have also seen several successful cages made of plastic totes..big ones and sometimes two connected by holes cut in the side and tubes for a sleep/play and a food/water area do you have cats? I had to keep my cage covered because of the cats (they never tried anything but I don't trust em) but if you don't you can leave the cages open..guinea pigs can't really climb..so two under the bed type totes cut and put together would work. great..or even use that for the bottom and put the cubes around it. There are great ideas for homemade cages online..it really dan be anything that works for you..as long as the bottom is solid (they can break their feet on wire) the edges are high enough to contain the litter and the ton of hay they go through lol and they have a little room to run
I was wondering if the cubes and a shallow plastic tote would work - sounds like it would! We do have a cat (and a big dog who has been known to snack on a baby bunny or two :ohwell:) so obviously a cover would be a necessity. Thanks for all the info! It's definitely given me a lot to think about.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Please ..never use towels for bedding for small animals. The towels have loops and tiny toes and nails can really suffer sever trauma by getting caught in those loops.

I echo the never use cedar chips advise!

Good luck with your new babies.

I had a friend who had a GP that was litter box trained!!!
Smart GP!!!