Guinea Pigs

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It got me to thinking that now that we carry small animal supplies, are people going to bring their small pets like chinchillas, ferrets, rabbits into the store?

We did have a cute miniature pig in a few weeks ago!

:drool:... snacks for the dogs!!! :killingme

sure hope they control them better than their own kids :coffee:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
ok...

i will admit... Im scared to death of them....if any were to come into the vet... i would have someone else examine them...

they just scare me!!! :killingme

Guinea pigs are really cute! I just LOVE the way they squeal and squeak. I miss Teddy so much. Teddy was the last resident piggy we had. He lived a long life and I really miss hearing him greet me when I get home.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Guinea pigs are really cute! I just LOVE the way they squeal and squeak. I miss Teddy so much. Teddy was the last resident piggy we had. He lived a long life and I really miss hearing him greet me when I get home.

Is that the equivalent of a cat purring?

Roman

I used to raise Guinea Pigs, and miss their cute little sounds. They are great little pets that rarely bite, if ever. I have never been biten by one.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
They don't make noise all the time.

my buddy used to freak out and squeek like crazy whenever he heard a plastic bag open or crumple. cuz he knew that meant salad time :killingme I had him in college and he was my dorm mascot, all the drunk students would bring him veggies fromt he salad bar..he LOVED all the attention..he would just sqeek and whistle and talk as soon as he saw veggies..or if I came home from being out for awhile. He was just the sweetest pig. I miss him :bawl:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
my buddy used to freak out and squeek like crazy whenever he heard a plastic bag open or crumple. cuz he knew that meant salad time :killingme I had him in college and he was my dorm mascot, all the drunk students would bring him veggies fromt he salad bar..he LOVED all the attention..he would just sqeek and whistle and talk as soon as he saw veggies..or if I came home from being out for awhile. He was just the sweetest pig. I miss him :bawl:

Mine did the same. I had 3 at one time for a long time, so instead of the bags I was buying the big clam-shell of organic spring mix greens. They went through one of those every 4 days or so.

I found a chewable Vitamin C tablet they would eat easily - it was Orange Juice Jr. and 100 mg - they need 50 mg a day of Vit. C, so that was an easy way to give it to each pig - each got half a tablet daily.

LordStanley

I know nothing

Our boys do the same... I cant open a bag of chips without them thinking Its food or Timothy hay for them! :lol:

Roman

it still freaks me out.....
Worms, and Snakes freak the chit outta me! So I know where you are coming from. Pigs are different, I just love their little whistles, and Pop-Corn sounds. I love their 3 toes too.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Worms, and Snakes freak the chit outta me! So I know where you are coming from. Pigs are different, I just love their little whistles, and Pop-Corn sounds. I love their 3 toes too.

rodents of any sort.... yeah... a fan of the snakes...

we had a few that came into the vet.... :nono:... will not touch them

ferrets .. are even iffy .... but can deal with them...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Our boys do the same... I cant open a bag of chips without them thinking Its food or Timothy hay for them! :lol:

Speaking of hay, I found the perfect solution to all the hay mess I used to have. I started buying the Timothy Hay pellets made for horses in 40 (or is it 50) lb bags. I would pour them into a Rubbermaid bin to store them and 1 bag would last a LONG time, not to mention the cost was a small fraction of what I was paying in the pet stores for small bags of hay.

The hay pellets are hard enough that they help the pigs keep their teeth nicely worn so they don't end up with over-grown teeth. Piggies can not eat much Alfalfa so no Timothy/Alfalfa mixed pellets, ONLY Timothy or Orchard pellets can be used for the piggies.

One important tip about the health of guinea pigs is to be sure to ONLY use bedding with no tree oils, especially pine. Aspen was a good one to use or Carefresh bedding, but Aspen was less expensive.

Most piggies that die under age 4 is usually due to improper nutrition. Every piggy I had lived for 6 or more years with me, even the shelter piggies that I had no idea how old they were to begin with. If you feed them the proper foods and give them the space they need, they can live from 4 to 8 years old.

Let's stop talking about piggies before I end up going to the shelter to save a few more .....

Last edited:

Roman

I just remembered, Mr. Tom the Reptile Man rescues piggies from Shelters too. I have to ask him for permission to give his number on the Forum. He has some cutie-pie Piggies too.