guitar refinishing

SD1492

O.K., first I'm sure this is in the wrong place but, I figured that I might have a better chance of getting a good answer.

I have a 1975 gibson s-1 that is in need of refinishing. The body is a natural with clear coating. I'm sure I could start working on it, but I don't want to screw it up. Does any one down here (St. Mary's) area now of a person that does GOOD work on refinishing guitars? I don't want to pay a crap load of money either, but I know you get what you pay for.

Thanks,

Tomcat

Anytime
First off, don't try it yourself unless you know what you're doing. Try asking some of the Amish/Mennonites that do woodwork.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
O.K., first I'm sure this is in the wrong place but, I figured that I might have a better chance of getting a good answer.

I have a 1975 gibson s-1 that is in need of refinishing. The body is a natural with clear coating. I'm sure I could start working on it, but I don't want to screw it up. Does any one down here (St. Mary's) area now of a person that does GOOD work on refinishing guitars? I don't want to pay a crap load of money either, but I know you get what you pay for.

Thanks,

Nanbo's has a luthier, ask for Mason.

23415 Three Notch Road
California, MD 20619-4017
(301) 737-4145

IrishGirl

Thanks,

Solomons Guitar Works is my husband's business. He would be more than happy to talk to you about refinishing your guitar. Give him a call at 443-624-4426. You can check with the folks at Allegro Music in California, MD he does a lot of repair work for them as well.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nanbo's has a luthier, ask for Mason.

23415 Three Notch Road
California, MD 20619-4017
(301) 737-4145

Run quickly in the opposite direction.
I had some minor work done there and I wouldn't take
a plastic ukulele back in that direction.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day

Thanks,

Why do you want to refinish it? Does it affect how it plays? Refinishing a vinatge Gibson is sacrilege in most peoples eyes. You know that companies now sell new guitars with a stressed look for vinatge prices:crazy:? Finish cracks, buckle rash, scrapes and dings give a guitar character. Also, to refinish one can grately affect the tone for better or worse.

With that said,
My old luthier moved to New York (he was the best:bawl:) but I just found another guy in Laplata recently. I'm having some electronic work and set up done to a 78
Ibanez but he apparently does refinishing work as well.
Island Music Company

Edit- I should ad this is the first guitar I've taken to this guy. He's actually working on it this week. Not so much endorsing him (yet) but just giving you a possible solution to your problem.

Last edited:

Tomcat

Anytime
Why do you want to refinish it? Does it affect how it plays? Refinishing a vinatge Gibson is sacrilege in most peoples eyes. You know that companies now sell new guitars with a stressed look for vinatge prices:crazy:? Finish cracks, buckle rash, scrapes and dings give a guitar character. Also, to refinish one can grately affect the tone for better or worse.

:yeahthat: I have a 50+ year old Harmony 12 string I foolishly tried to refinish myself about 25 years ago. Found out the reason it had a faux airbrushed tobacco sunburst finish was the wood underneath was pretty unremarkable (no nice grain) still sounds OK but looks terrible.

chaotic

This is your captain!
Solomons Guitar Works is my husband's business. He would be more than happy to talk to you about refinishing your guitar. Give him a call at 443-624-4426. You can check with the folks at Allegro Music in California, MD he does a lot of repair work for them as well.

I went to Allegro to talk to them about regluing the bridge to my guitar, and they told me that they don't do that kind of work, they send it all out to someone. They didn't sound like they wanted to get the job or the money.

I went to Allegro to talk to them about regluing the bridge to my guitar, and they told me that they don't do that kind of work, they send it all out to someone. They didn't sound like they wanted to get the job or the money.

Hey Ho... Guitar Man...:howdy:

SD1492

I wanted to thank all of you for you information. I've decided to keep the guitar and am in the process of getting it refinished as soon as I can talk my wife in to letting me spend some money :).
I talked with Kevin and he's going to take a look at it and hopefully we can work out a good price. Come on Kevin, hook me up :)

onelove6366

You can always call Bills Music in Catonsville - they've been around forever. Keep in mind that any refinishing may diminish the value of the guitar as well. You have to be very careful with that type of thing!

I wanted to thank all of you for you information. I've decided to keep the guitar and am in the process of getting it refinished as soon as I can talk my wife in to letting me spend some money :).
I talked with Kevin and he's going to take a look at it and hopefully we can work out a good price. Come on Kevin, hook me up :)

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
You can always call Bills Music in Catonsville - they've been around forever. Keep in mind that any refinishing may diminish the value of the guitar as well. You have to be very careful with that type of thing!

Ron Cook has been doing their guitar work forever. That's who I used when I lived in Balmer. Definitely one of the best around.

I got my Ibanez back today and can't really say I'm impressed. It played better but still not as good as it could. I just spent the last 20 minutes tweaking the action which is one of the things I paid to have done.
I'll be making the drive to Catonsville for any future guitar work that I can't handle.

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
All I can say, is if you have a vintage 1975 Gibson guitar like this, do yourself a favor and take it to a well respected luthier. I know one who is a wonderful guy in Pennsylvania who does work for all the stars named Greg PLatzer of BCRGreg music. Trust me when I tell you, this guy is world reknowned. He did backstage setups for Kiss, Green Day, Van Halen and is a hell of a player as well. Hes also fairly priced. BCR Music & Sound - www.bcrmusic.com - (717) 730-9775

He has quite a few youtube videos up as well. You wont be disappointed.

Last edited:

SD1492

Good luck with it. Hope it turns out like you want. Are you going to paint it or keep it natural?

Check out the pics from 41-45. 1975 Gibson S-1 With Rosewood Fretboard. Rare. - GROOVY MUSIC LESSONS

Some specs.
Gibson S-1 Guitar - specifications
I was going to keep it natural, but do to all the nicks and not being able to go all out vintage (Gibson said about $1500 for them to do the work, HA), since Gibson no longer makes the pickups, I'm going to make it for me. I've got a Fireglo 360 Rickenbacker so therefore was thinking of having this painted the same style but going to go with a blue, Crome pickups and either a black with white edge or white with a black edge pickgurad. Leaning more and more towards the Black with white edge.

Tomcat

Anytime
All I can say, is if you have a vintage 1975 Gibson guitar like this, do yourself a favor and take it to a well respected luthier. I know one who is a wonderful guy in Pennsylvania who does work for all the stars named Greg PLatzer of BCRGreg music. Trust me when I tell you, this guy is world reknowned. He did backstage setups for Kiss, Green Day, Van Halen and is a hell of a player as well. Hes also fairly priced. BCR Music & Sound - www.bcrmusic.com - (717) 730-9775

He has quite a few youtube videos up as well. You wont be disappointed.

I always stop there to see him when I go up to visit my parents, great guy. Ever been in the shop across the street? He has vintage junk guitars but sometimes there's some really neat stuff. Also a place down at the foot of the hill (Triple R I believe) got a really great deal there on some JBL speakers.