Gun Blows UP ...

Novus Collectus

First time I read it I thought your post said "with guns like these, who needs enemas?". I guess that would be true too because I bet that guy's bowels instantly emptied when that happened. :killingme

I think the picture is about four or five years old. It was when FN 5.7 were just starting to become more common and this incident of firing out of battery was not the only one reported at the time IIRC.

Bonehead

Nasty suprize that. I had a similar event happen with a Ruger semi auto .22, glad I was wearing eye protection.

SoMdmMusician

What I find to be totally fascinating is that the main damage to the gun is above the trigger guard and all of this guys injuries are on the crotch of his thumb, which should have been shielded by the pistols grip???????

And there is no injuries to his index finger??????

so, I almost wonder if this is some sort of attempt at creating a law suit.

Maybe the gun was damaged / defective and not covered by warranty, and this guy simply pinched his hand in the work shop and said "Hey, what if ?"

The damage to the gun and where the damage is to his hand, makes no sense at all.

Bonehead

It was a Mark I .....Yes it had been a good plinker up until that point. If I remeber correctly it was a broken extractor that allowed two bullets to basically stack one behind the other and both went off as I pulled the trigger.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...let's keep in mind that we're dealing with methods to control an explosion in order to launch a projectile effectively as a weapon.

This isn't like making a mistake in the advancement in the folding of paper air planes. BOOM happens. Does that make it Darwinian?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
The guy admits he was using reloads. FN FiveseveN Warning *Picture Heavy* - THR

I use a Dillon press. Dillon does not make dies for the 5.7x28. Why? Read this.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/FN_57x28-98-11-17.htm said:
The 5.7x28FN cartridge has too small of a rim diameter to work on any Dillon progressive loaders. It is essentially the same as 25ACP, and we gave up on that years ago, for the same reasons.

The 5.7x28FN cartridge is fired in straight blowback firearms. As a consequence, the shoulder moves forward about .100" upon firing. Case life is limited typically to one or two firings, and reliability decreases with each loading.
If one of the major manufacturers of reloading equipment says don't reload these, it is probably a good idea not to reload them.

Notice "good for one or two firings." Sounds like a "duh" moment to decide to reload something that should not be reloaded.

The picture shows that the case is ruptured at the shoulder. The gun probably fired in battery and the pressure exploded the case as it extracted. That would account for the injury to the crotch of the hand and not the trigger finger area. The shrapnel from the case neck was probably blowing back as the case extracted.

Last edited:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
It is, designed to be fired out of the FN five seven handgun.

It is for the FN P90 sub-machine gun originally, 1993–present. The FN Five-seveN pistol came later, 2004–present. It also fits the AR-57 which is an upper receiver for M16/AR-15 rifles.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
It is for the FN P90 sub-machine gun originally, 1993–present. The FN Five-seveN pistol came later, 2004–present. It also fits the AR-57 which is an upper receiver for M16/AR-15 rifles.

Right, I didn't word that the way I wanted to. It is a rifle round and the FN 5.7 was disigned so to fire.

BTW- Nice AV

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I thought you had the upside down US flag??? I might change mine to the Navy Jack or something similar to avoid confusion.

I did for a few days. Then I figured that the Gadsden flag from the Revolution was entirely appropriate for my attitude toward the current powers that be and will be in the U.S.

Keep it. The more the merrier.

Last edited:

Novus Collectus

Wow! Learned something new. Never even thought about the 5.7 out of an AR platform before and here I discover it has even been done already.
Cool! :dude: