Gun nuts...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...run over to drudge real quick

DRUDGE REPORT 2008®

on the right, there's a photo of a Russian solider sitting a tank with a couple of prisoners holding a suppressed sub gun. Neat looking! Doesn't look like an AK platform. Anyone know what it is???

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I thought this thread was about redneck firearm ornamentation to go along with their pick-up truck nuts.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thank...

...you!

How the hell;

Sniper rifle uses special cartridges with lowered bullets initial speed SP-5 and SP-6 what allows to use suppressor and make it more effective. Cartridges weight is 23 g, length - 56-mm, initial speed - 250 - 290 m/s. Heavy bullet shows good stability and high shoot through energy. In 200 meters distance bullet shoots through 6-mm width steel plate. In 400 meters distance bullet defeats live target covered with first and second class armored vests and also unarmored vehicles. In 500 meters distance - 2-mm steel plate and defeats solider covered by it.

...can that be with such a slow moving round?

dustin

UAIOE
...you!

How the hell;

...can that be with such a slow moving round?
Here's a write up I found. Can't find any ballistic comparison tests though..

SP-5 and SP-6 subsonic assault rifle ammunition
Next line of development, also initiated by Spetsnaz requirements, also involved silenced weapons, but in more powerful form. Since the effective range of silenced pistols is severely limited, scout and Spetsnaz elements of the Soviet army originally employed AK and AKM rifles, fitted with detachable sound suppressors (silencers) and loaded with special versions of 7.62x39 M43 ammo, known as 7.62x39 US (Umenshennaya Skorost – Low velocity). To achieve subsonic velocity along with acceptable ballistics, these cartridges were loaded with heavier bullets, but its performance was still inadequate. So, during the late 1980s, soviet designers developed improved sub-sonic ammunition, suitable for specially designed automatic weapons. These cartridges, known as SP-5 and SP-6, were based on a 7.62x39 M43 case, necked-out to 9mm, and loaded with heavy, streamlined bullets. The SP-5 cartridge was loaded with standard “ball” bullet with lead core, and was intended for accurate sniper work out to 300-400 meters. The SP-6 cartridge featured an armour-piercing bullet with hardened steel core, which could defeat typical military type body armour at the ranges of up to 300-400 meters. Two weapons were initially developed for this ammunition, both based on the same receiver and gas operated action – VSS sniper rifle and AS assault rifle. Both weapons were selective fired, with integral sound suppressors, and used same magazines with 10- or 20-round capacity. Latter on, several more weapons were developed for 9x39 ammunition, such as SR-3 and 9A-91 compact assault rifles, used by elite Internal Affairs Ministry, Police and State Security units. The one problem, associated with 9x39, as well as with most other special purpose cartridges, is that such ammunition is usually quite expensive. An attempt was made during late 1990s to produce much cheaper 9x39 AP loading, designated as PAB-9. This cartridge featured bullets with stamped (instead of machined) steel cores, as well as increased driving surfaces. As a result, accuracy was poor and barrel wear significantly increased, so this ammunition is apparently no longer in use.
cartridge metric designation bullet weight muzzle velocity
7.62 US 7,62x39 12,5 g / 193 grain 290 m/s / 950 fps
СП-5 9x39 16,8 g / 260 grain 280 m/s / 920 fps
СП-6 9x39 16 g / 247 grain 280 m/s / 920 fps

Modern Firearms - Ammunition - Special purpose cartridges of USSR and Russia

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thanks...

...for all of that. However, it still strikes me as tough to accept that a sub 1,000 fps round, regardless of what it is made of, is going to defeat body armor when a 2,500 fbs FMJ AK or .223 round won't.

I just understood the problem to be one of mass, hardness and velocity.

In any event, I don't know enough other than to comment and ask questions.

:buddies:

dustin

UAIOE
...for all of that. However, it still strikes me as tough to accept that a sub 1,000 fps round, regardless of what it is made of, is going to defeat body armor when a 2,500 fbs FMJ AK or .223 round won't.

I just understood the problem to be one of mass, hardness and velocity.

In any event, I don't know enough other than to comment and ask questions.

:buddies:
Yeah i know my post was pretty much worthless... :lol:

I too find it hard to believe that a subsonic round could be armor piercing...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

Yeah i know my post was pretty much worthless... :lol:

I too find it hard to believe that a subsonic round could be armor piercing...

...your post wasn't worthless at all. I supposed the physics of it work out that if the projectile is simply hard enough, it could do the job.

I mean, head shots with pistol ammo, typically well under 1,000 fps, are routinely found in ER's where it simply penetrated the skin and the skull stopped it AND the round is deformed. So, that deformation, obviously, absorbs a great deal of energy, like crumple zones in a car.

So, hard enough = the energy has to go somewhere.

dustin

UAIOE
...your post wasn't worthless at all. I supposed the physics of it work out that if the projectile is simply hard enough, it could do the job.

I mean, head shots with pistol ammo, typically well under 1,000 fps, are routinely found in ER's where it simply penetrated the skin and the skull stopped it AND the round is deformed. So, that deformation, obviously, absorbs a great deal of energy, like crumple zones in a car.

So, hard enough = the energy has to go somewhere.
so, its like a little cannonball basically...

edinsomd

Sorta off topic, I ran into a fellow at Sanner's Lake last weekend with a supressed AR, very cool. We had three-in-a-row evil black rifles; my pal with his lefty Stag Arms, me and my Bushy, and this guy with the supressor (not a "silencer", ain't no such animal). He let us shoot a few rounds, wow just about zero recoil and sounded more like a cough than a rifle shot. He needed a Class III FFL to get it, though. Lots of "interesting" folks and their toys at Sanner's Lake, its one of the most cordial, respectful, and friendly places I've seen here in SoMd, why do you suppose that is?:lmao:
Ed

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Sorta off topic, I ran into a fellow at Sanner's Lake last weekend with a supressed AR, very cool. We had three-in-a-row evil black rifles; my pal with his lefty Stag Arms, me and my Bushy, and this guy with the supressor (not a "silencer", ain't no such animal). He let us shoot a few rounds, wow just about zero recoil and sounded more like a cough than a rifle shot. He needed a Class III FFL to get it, though. Lots of "interesting" folks and their toys at Sanner's Lake, its one of the most cordial, respectful, and friendly places I've seen here in SoMd, why do you suppose that is?:lmao:
Ed

Skinny dude, mid-20's?

Armed polite society and all?

edinsomd

Skinny dude, mid-20's?

Armed polite society and all?

Yes, a nice young fellow as I recall; had a military air. And we're all very polite there by nature. The fact that everyone is armed is just a happy coincidence! :lmao: He just had the mod done and seemed very happy with the results. Nice holo sight on his AR, too. I'd consider the mod but for the PITA and expense of getting a Class III FFL, so I'll stay noisy.
Ed

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Yes, a nice young fellow as I recall; had a military air. And we're all very polite there by nature. The fact that everyone is armed is just a happy coincidence! :lmao: He just had the mod done and seemed very happy with the results. Nice holo sight on his AR, too. I'd consider the mod but for the PITA and expense of getting a Class III FFL, so I'll stay noisy.
Ed

Yup I know him, work together, he waited longer for his RRA AR to come in then it took to get the supressor, ATF wait an all. I'm jealous I haven't shot it yet though.