Guy Gets Shamed By Girlfriend’s Parents for Not Being A ‘Real Man,’ Plays Along To Teach Her A Lesson

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nobody’s perfect. Life is just too complex to be good at everything. Heck, even one skill is difficult to master. But some people just don’t get it.

A few days ago, a man submitted a heartfelt story to the ‘Am I the [Jerk]?‘ subreddit, asking its members to share their thoughts on a conflict between him and his girlfriend.

The root of the dispute goes back to a time when the author of the post invited a friend to help him change a door hinge because he lacks the experience to do it on his own.

Fast forward a few weeks and the guy’s partner is shaming him for not being man enough in front of her parents.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My nephew told me nothing was funnier than watching four educated (some highly) young men, including his new son-in-law, trying to figure out how to use ratchet straps.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My nephew told me nothing was funnier than watching four educated (some highly) young men, including his new son-in-law, trying to figure out how to use ratchet straps.
Watching four of them try to tie a usable knot.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I once asked Master Chief if he had even tied a dragon bow-line?
He answered Nope,
I tied a bow-line and dropped the tied end on the ground and started walking.
Yeah I helped the kid with tying down a load on a trailer using a truckers hitch and you’de have thought it was witchcraft from the look I got.

there’s so many little things that the current generations just haven’t seemed pick up. I’m certain somewhere along the line I showed him how to make simple Knots.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not everyone springs from the womb knowing how to handyman, and these days many people don't have parents who teach them to do things. This, to me, is like shaming a woman who doesn't know how to cook - and we all know how that would turn out.

So instead of being an ahole, why not teach the guy how to do whatever? Barring that (see my personal growth project) why not just STFU? Are you seriously that pathetic that the only thing you have to mock another guy about is his lack of ability with (checks notes) knots?

Seriously?

That guy needs to run like hell from that bitchy family and not look back. And if he needs a handyman he can hire one.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Not everyone springs from the womb knowing how to handyman, and these days many people don't have parents who teach them to do things. This, to me, is like shaming a woman who doesn't know how to cook - and we all know how that would turn out.

So instead of being an ahole, why not teach the guy how to do whatever? Barring that (see my personal growth project) why not just STFU? Are you seriously that pathetic that the only thing you have to mock another guy about is his lack of ability with (checks notes) knots?

Seriously?

That guy needs to run like hell from that bitchy family and not look back. And if he needs a handyman he can hire one.
I wasn’t shaming anybody.

It just was flabbergasted me that they don’t seem to pick these things up like we did when we were kids. Knots, knives, tools, cars, guns, hunting, fishing, were all things kids sought out to learn.

And in my own defense I’m pretty certain I did show how to make knots at various times in his youth. They just didn’t seem to stick.

And in all honesty If there’s a plumbing problem, I’ll call someone. That’s not something I wanna mess with. I did great when it came to cars and electricity but when it came to wood working or plumbing I was out of my element.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It just was flabbergasted me that they don’t seem to pick these things up like we did when we were kids. Knots, knives, tools, cars, guns, hunting, fishing, were all things kids sought out to learn.

Their dads never learned to do stuff, and they can't teach what they don't know. None of their friends' dads taught them, either, so they couldn't even learn from the kids they palled around with.

It's disgraceful, I completely agree, but it's not their fault.

It's like my kids were all, "Why didn't you cook like this when we were at home?" and I replied, "Because Food Network hadn't been invented yet."

:sshrug:

I have a whole rant about college prep vs. tangible skills, but no doubt you've already heard it. :lol:

PeoplesElbow

Seriously?

In my case it is these guys job to know this stuff. Start at $35/hr they shouldn't be useless. So yea I am shaming them, especially when they spend all day talking about video games instead of trying to be better at their job.

Bluecrqbe

I wasn’t shaming anybody.

And in my own defense I’m pretty certain I did show how to make knots at various times in his youth. They just didn’t seem to stick.

And in all honesty If there’s a plumbing problem, I’ll call someone. That’s not something I wanna mess with. I did great when it came to cars and electricity but when it came to wood working or plumbing I was out of my element.
Give it a break, no question you were shaming them.

Would love to see you run a 10k.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Blame the schools for not offering classes like that anymore. ("Electives" that uses to be taught at least 1 quarter a year and they rotated?) It didn't happen overnight (at least 20 years)- but the school boards became very Liberal, they (overall/ultimately) determine the local curriculums and while no one was paying very much attention - voila - they're teaching kids how to become another sex and that it's ok and *not how to do any practical, useful or necessary everyday skills in life.

**Of course, it's more than that - but you get the gist. Your mileage may vary**

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I must have hit a nerve. :poorbaby:

I'm guessing when he was in high school he ran a 10k and that's his one lone accomplishment that he brings up every time he's around anyone who does a real thing. Like the high school quarterback who barely graduated and has been working at the 7-11 for 40 years telling anyone who'll listen to him about the big game in '81 where he scored the winning touchdown.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Organizations like the Boy Scouts have fallen out of favor recently, but when I think back to all the kids that were in the Scouts (Girl Scouts too...), very very few were incapable of taking care of themselves in later life. Many of us here were Scouts, and nearly all of us can wield man-tools with confidence.

Today's coddled kids just don't get that life and confidence building.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm guessing when he was in high school he ran a 10k and that's his one lone accomplishment that he brings up every time he's around anyone who does a real thing. Like the high school quarterback who barely graduated and has been working at the 7-11 for 40 years telling anyone who'll listen to him about the big game in '81 where he scored the winning touchdown.
Al Bundy. :yay:

I can cheerfully say the last time I ran was in 93.

I dont' miss it.