Guy Gets Shamed By Girlfriend’s Parents for Not Being A ‘Real Man,’ Plays Along To Teach Her A Lesson

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Organizations like the Boy Scouts have fallen out of favor recently, but when I think back to all the kids that were in the Scouts (Girl Scouts too...), very very few were incapable of taking care of themselves in later life. Many of us here were Scouts, and nearly all of us can wield man-tools with confidence.

Today's coddled kids just don't get that life and confidence building.

We allowed the Democrats to destroy BSA and other youth programs, and replace them with Drag Storytime.

Are there still Scout troops in SoMD? Are they gone everywhere or just where Democrats gather with their little future sociopaths?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Organizations like the Boy Scouts have fallen out of favor recently, but when I think back to all the kids that were in the Scouts (Girl Scouts too...), very very few were incapable of taking care of themselves in later life. Many of us here were Scouts, and nearly all of us can wield man-tools with confidence.

Today's coddled kids just don't get that life and confidence building.
:howdy:

I was in GS nearly all of my elementary and MS years. I had wilderness hiked AND camped out in Europe (where folks out in the community spoke limited English) before I was 12 years old. We lived in Italy for 5-1/2 years without a telephone in our home (or any TV, for that matter).

My dad showed me how to do a lot of things and he grew up in Akron, OH - a city boy - and was NOT a home handyman, but an airplane mech in the Navy. He showed me things like how to get my car to run when it was stalling out (carburetor trick thingy), and other useful things like changing the oil in my car and how to change a flat tire. Home things like hanging a picture and fixing a light/lamp -gardening - I got those from my mom! (who grew up rural and had 1 older and 6 younger brothers growing up!) 🤣

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
We allowed the Democrats to destroy BSA and other youth programs, and replace them with Drag Storytime.

Are there still Scout troops in SoMD? Are they gone everywhere or just where Democrats gather with their little future sociopaths?
Don't know but between the abuse scandal and the left attacking boy scouts for having to be ... uhhh... boys :banghead: ... My guess would be they closed up or will shortly.

They had "Girl Scouts" as an organization too, but nooooooo. They have to #### up something else to make a point.

Kinda like the Trannys taking over womens sports.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
There were also a lot of internal issues with the Scouts, kind of like the problems the Church is having...

I would imagine fewer people choose to be leaders in these groups because even the slightest hint of impropriety, true or not, can totally ruin lives these days. And it's not like you can pack up and move to a different town where no one knows you and start over. The internet makes sure you have a following history.

SamSpade

The toughest part for me about being "handy" is that generally if I haven't done a million times - I just plain suck at it. I dread the day when I help my son craft some project, and it's all wobbly and has open seams and - well basically sucks at it. My Dad was an outstanding craftsman - several pieces of furniture in my house TODAY are things he built - and I even helped him BUILD IT. I just don't have the eye for it.

SOME things, you just learn from experience - I have learned for instance, when something needs to be bolted or screwed together, you don't tighten the first one all the way. You learn - don't OVER tighten, lest you strip something. Learn from experts - I learned from a carpenter I worked for, for many years to hammer by a technique that resembles throwing, where your arm largely guides the hammer and you use your whole arm and body. HE could pound 16 penny galvanized nails into pressure treated wood all the way with one hit - and could do it at a rate of about one every second or two (nailing a deck, for example).

Once he tasked me with making stringers for a small deck - and it was a disaster. I knew HOW to do it - I just had no skill for it. He could look at a full stair and say "that's a quarter inch out of level". I can't do that WITH tools. Even though he was my best friend, I finally quit and told him, I was simply a liablility and his business would do better with a more skilled laborer.

Every home I've lived in has at least one example where Sam really shouldn't have done anything - and possibly ONE where I actually did it right. It's just too expensive nowadays to get it wrong.

SamSpade

There were also a lot of internal issues with the Scouts, kind of like the problems the Church is having...

I would imagine fewer people choose to be leaders in these groups because even the slightest hint of impropriety, true or not, can totally ruin lives these days. And it's not like you can pack up and move to a different town where no one knows you and start over. The internet makes sure you have a following history.

Gotta say, the Scouts are dead serious about the way they handle stuff now - even on my son's Zoom meetings during the pandemic, an adult had to be present for each Scout online. They have often had to suspend, delay or cancel things, because there weren't enough adults present.

As I have read - most of the current complaints are from cases that happened years back. They deserve to be addressed, but the Scouts have moved heaven and earth to stop it from happening again.

Ditto the churches I attend - adult participants have to undergo training and refreshers to observe all rules, and when you see them being executed, you might think "damn - when I was a kid, one adult was all we needed". Nope. The hardest part for me is knowing all the additional rules. Like when a small child needs to go to the bathroom - and there's just two adults.

I think organizations have made great strides in combatting this. We're paying for the sins of the past.

SamSpade

That's what they make duct tape, filler putty and epoxy for....

:biggrin:
You know what I WAS good at, with my son's stuff? Pinewood derby. But see, most of that is - well - art. He had some of the coolest cars. We did Lightning McQueen - Mater - we did one that looked like a Wii remote. Just really cool. They didn't win, but making a car that wins involved a degree of craftsmanship I won't ever possess. He did eventually win a medal for having a cool looking car.

To put it another way, if you want me to work on your car, I can detail it and give it a great paint job - just don't expect it to actually RUN.

Clem72

My nephew told me nothing was funnier than watching four educated (some highly) young men, including his new son-in-law, trying to figure out how to use ratchet straps.
But they probably have a lifted "work" truck that's never had anything in the bed or mud on the tires, right?

PeoplesElbow

I'm guessing when he was in high school he ran a 10k and that's his one lone accomplishment that he brings up every time he's around anyone who does a real thing. Like the high school quarterback who barely graduated and has been working at the 7-11 for 40 years telling anyone who'll listen to him about the big game in '81 where he scored the winning touchdown.
That was four touchdowns in one game thank you very much.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Whelp...(he said as he admired his handy work...), time to head to the lighting store to get a dimmer switch and smart remote to wire into the two new wall switch boxes that I just cut in using my multi-tool cutter for the array of ceiling flush-mount dimming LED lights for the living room. Don't need any 14-3 solid copper ROMEX wire, had enough leftover from the last job. While I'm out, I also need about a half dozen 1x3"x8' boards to finish some door trim, which will get edge corner routed using my handheld trim router. Next on the list is a total replacement of the badly neglected front entry outside door trim, to be replaced with PVC. Probably have to rip down some pieces to fit using the table saw and then cut to length with the 12" miter saw.

(insert Tim Allen grunts here....)

SamSpade

Actually, quite a lot of them, although the Scout ones with girl members - I'm never sure what they are called officially, except they are not "Girl Scouts" - there aren't a lot. BSA took a big hit during the pandemic. Very limited meetings, very few outings of any kind, in-person meetings with masks. I mean, it's hard to get on with all of the physical activity nature of Scouting with social distancing and masks. Some kids just gave up.

But it's coming back from the pandemic. In truth, Scouting overall has been getting smaller and smaller over the years, but I hope it never goes away. It has been priceless for my kids, and sometimes it's just the best kind of socializing and leadership building they're ever going to get. The very structure of Scouts is that they learn to teach and lead each other, and the adults function largely as facilitators - they don't really "run" the troops, or - they're not supposed to. One of the very first lessons a Scout has to learn is, when you don't know, ask a Scout (not an adult).