Gym

H

hborror

Is there a good gym for women in St Mary's? After having the baby just my treadmill is not cutting it. I only have 20LBS to lose BUT I need to tone.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
hborror said:
Is there a good gym for women in St Mary's? After having the baby just my treadmill is not cutting it. I only have 20LBS to lose BUT I need to tone.
Maximum offers a separate area for women, not sure what World Gym has. Then there is always Curves.

aosmiles

there are several women's gyms. i have not tried them out, but i know of one in callaway. curves is in california-near kmart & food lion, i believe. i joined pro fitness after my son was born. i lost a good bit of weight and toned, too. now pregnant again, so i will be a regular. hook up with a personal trainer to learn what will help you achieve your goals. world gym in lex park is huge and is a nice facility. my advice? tour a facility and see about getting a free trial before you join so you are not stuck somewhere you don't like and won't use. pro fitness and world gym offer child care, which is a plus. i was reluctant to use it, but my next door neighbor is the supervisor at pro fitness so i became comfortable with the idea. Good luck!

H

hborror

Chasey_Lane said:
Maximum offers a separate area for women, not sure what World Gym has. Then there is always Curves.

Which leads me to my next question are the 30 minute workouts better then joining a regular gym?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
hborror said:
Which leads me to my next question are the 30 minute workouts better then joining a regular gym?
I'd say that's personal preference. I think they are a joke (for me) because I enjoy working out, sweating, running, lifting, etc. I'm there to work hard, not switch machines after 30 seconds.

nomoney

there's studio in calloway thats all classes. They do cardio and weight training. Its all women. More hardcore then curves.

jenbengen

Watch it
hborror said:

I just joined Maximum gym and am VERY happy. There is a ladie's workout area as well. Everything is new and clean, tons of programs, childcare. I highly recommend it!

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
hborror said:

I think these places are a joke. Just as Chasey said, I like to run and lift weights at my own pace. I'm not going to have someone tell me I only have X amount of time on a machine.

I use World Gym in Lexington Park (formly Pro Fitness) Since the change of hands there have been many changes made and new equipement on the way.
SO and I had talked about leaving when the change was made and we would of gone to Maximum if we didn't like what we were seeing.

spookthis

Curves and Ladies Workout Express aren't really jokes to the ladies that go there everyday. There are a lot of elderly ladies that enjoy the workout as you can just go through the motions or you can "work it"

If you are seriously overweight, it is the perfect place to start a workout routine. You will not feel intimidated by others around you. All are friendly and encouraging.

I have worked out in both types of gyms and I can tell you the 30 minute circuit is great cardio (if you work it). It had me sweating. I like to work out with weights too, and these places just aren't made for that.

Want weights - go to a real gym, want just cardio and have chat time too - go to Curves or LWE....