Hacking Autos

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
It's getting easier and easier to hack a car. Are we on the verge of a dangerous nightmare?

The technology underpinning things like smartphone integration and over-the-air software updates is hardened against bad actors, but a recent hack of nearly 30,000 cars in which the attacker claims he can turn off a moving vehicle's engine shows the automotive world could still become a digital deviant's playground.

Though car-sharing companies have been recent targets, these same types of access software and access applications are becoming increasingly common for the public market. Nearly every major manufacturer has implemented some sort of cellular-based software that helps the user monitor the car’s functions and remotely access its systems. Today, in a number of vehicles, you can remotely change the car’s climate controls, access vehicle information, schedule maintenance, honk the car’s horn, and yes, start or stop the engine. To single out Tesla—the first automaker to really embrace the idea of OTA updates and smartphone controls—it's even begun allowing customers to remotely drive their cars (slowly) via the app.

And yet, the overall security of these applications doesn't seem to be a high priority for most manufacturers. There have been a number of low-profile hacks that have occurred over the last few years, flying under the radar even though their scope affects hundreds of thousands of cars on the road. Singling out Tesla once again, a Chinese firm called Tencent found that the Wi-Fi system on the Tesla Model S could be used to gain access to the car’s driveline; specifically, Tencent could remotely activate the car’s brakes while moving. Tesla later fixed the hole in the security, but questions remain.

Why I won't have a car and connect it to my phone (at a minimum).

Why, when I buy my next auto, I want any connectivity function turned off.

Call me a Luddite. In this case you wouldn't be wrong.

Link: "Hacker Claims Ability to Remotely Shut Off Car Engines While Vehicles Are in Motion"

--- End of line (MCP)

TCROW

Why I won't have a car and connect it to my phone (at a minimum).

Why, when I buy my next auto, I want any connectivity function turned off.

Call me a Luddite. In this case you wouldn't be wrong.

Link: "Hacker Claims Ability to Remotely Shut Off Car Engines While Vehicles Are in Motion"

--- End of line (MCP)

Well, we put light bulbs on the network/IOT so people can control with their phones and they got remotely commandeered and turned into a botnet (source: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...re-safe-shitty-internet-things-security.shtml)

What did we think would happen if we expose automobile networks to the same? There's some decent research out there on the CAN-bus. If you can get access to that, you own the car's ECU(s). There are a few computers on the CAN-bus and they constantly send out "I'm OK" messages to other subsystems on the bus. In theory, interrupt/intercept just a single message and ... owned. Auto manufacturers don't know all that much about computer and network security. I met a guy from Gotenborg Sweden a few years back. He was a computer/network practitioner working at Volvo in Sweden. We had a good conversation about these sorts of things and I left wondering if U.S.-based car makers hire people with his smarts to think about info system in autos.

I don't even like throttle-by-wire or steer-by-wire, but it's the world we live in. My car's owner's manual doesn't even publish torque specs for lug nuts. You can probably make a pretty good guess, but if you want to be sure, you'd have to get the shop manual from the manufacturer or a Chilton's.

My opinion is that these sorts of things happen because their code base is closed source and there aren't enough eyeballs on it to spot problems. Closed source makes sense, it's their proprietary code, their profit stream. But if you want a better product, there are much smarter people out there who can help.

glhs837

Power with Control
MEh, I dont worry about it so much. The Tesla hacks fix was already in the works and it was deployed rapidly. The odds of you personally having any issue with this is less than you getting bit by a rabid animal. Hell, you are more likely to personally be involved in a terrorist attack than have this affect you, I think.

Yooper

Well, we put light bulbs on the network/IOT so people can control with their phones and they got remotely commandeered and turned into a botnet (source: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...re-safe-shitty-internet-things-security.shtml)

What did we think would happen if we expose automobile networks to the same? There's some decent research out there on the CAN-bus. If you can get access to that, you own the car's ECU(s). There are a few computers on the CAN-bus and they constantly send out "I'm OK" messages to other subsystems on the bus. In theory, interrupt/intercept just a single message and ... owned. Auto manufacturers don't know all that much about computer and network security. I met a guy from Gotenborg Sweden a few years back. He was a computer/network practitioner working at Volvo in Sweden. We had a good conversation about these sorts of things and I left wondering if U.S.-based car makers hire people with his smarts to think about info system in autos.

I don't even like throttle-by-wire or steer-by-wire, but it's the world we live in. My car's owner's manual doesn't even publish torque specs for lug nuts. You can probably make a pretty good guess, but if you want to be sure, you'd have to get the shop manual from the manufacturer or a Chilton's.

My opinion is that these sorts of things happen because their code base is closed source and there aren't enough eyeballs on it to spot problems. Closed source makes sense, it's their proprietary code, their profit stream. But if you want a better product, there are much smarter people out there who can help.
Really, really good post. T/Y!

Hooked into my CAN-bus, are you? 👍:p The three highlighted bits (pardon the pun) above hit three of my major concerns. Yes, I have been called a tin foil hat wearer, but I do know (from work experience) that network/IOT attacks are a great way in stealing personal data/identity theft. And yup, through light bulbs, refrigerators, door bells, etc.

My fear is that CAN-bus hijacking doesn't even have to be malicious to be problematic. What I mean by that is the disputes I read about from time to time about software engineers who "own" the ECU spatting with auto manufacturers who use the ECU. I'm reading that much of this wasn't done in house....

Leading to your third "bold": bringing it in house. As you noted, that comes with its own problems.

Again, thanks. Excellent post. really enjoyed it.

MEh, I dont worry about it so much. The Tesla hacks fix was already in the works and it was deployed rapidly. The odds of you personally having any issue with this is less than you getting bit by a rabid animal. Hell, you are more likely to personally be involved in a terrorist attack than have this affect you, I think.
I get that. My concern splits three ways: privacy, software security, & personal safety. The first is ideological matter; the second, a procedures concern (I absolutely despise that everything these days is in "beta"); the third, existential.

I realize the first matters little to others, while the third is playing the odds (lightning striking and all that).

The middle one is the one that bothers me most as a professional; while very little of my career was spent with the IT folks I was a pretty intense user (both in offensive and defensive modes) and I came to appreciate beautiful code/approaches and hate sloppy, "good enough for the govt" mindsets. As TCrow mentioned there's the profit stream angle; I would add there's a rush to be first in the market and corners are cut. When we talk about transportation (aviation, autos, railroads, etc.) that's not a good thing.

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
So, "beta" can be good and bad. In the Tesla sense, it's good because they constantly roll out new functions and features, even for 3-5 year old cars. Hell, they took a brand new car to PWN2OWN and gave it away to a team that was able to find an exploit and they have a robust bug hunter reward program. Privacy does matter, and the key is understanding what you have. and what the cost is either way. I cant be worried about people who dont bother to learn what they are exchanging for what. You go out of your way to be aware and make the choices you do, and thats good. People who buy a thing and never bother to learn what it costs, in terms of privacy and intrusion, well, that's on them. I don't know that it's cutting of corners so much as simply not bothering to run the ramifications through. Automakers are very hidebound organizations, people who think ahead of problems, not so common.

PeoplesElbow

In owners manuals for new cars it says they collect location information and that can be sold to 3rd parties by the car manufacture.

Your car is going to feed the beast and you will get targeted advertising related to where you travel most regularly.

Yooper

So, "beta" can be good and bad.
To me, "beta" means testing is on-going and the product (whatever it is) isn't ready for prime time. But beta testing (and getting qualified beta testers) is expensive (all forms of resources).

So industry (whichever one) has turned customers into beta testers. To me, that's pee poor. But they claim - and perhaps rightly - that they're offering their products at a reduced cost or no cost. That wouldn't be horrible if there was a "finished" product, but that's not how things work anymore.

It's like everyone is proud to be the "it's okay" folks in the recent AT&T TV ads.

In the Tesla sense, it's good because they constantly roll out new functions and features, even for 3-5 year old cars.
To me, "new functions and features" isn't "beta"; rather, it's new "versions."

I'm probably totally out to lunch here (as I haven't worked in/around program revisions protocols for quite some time). But wasn't there (isn't there) a syntax/procedure how all this is done? "Beta" was anything below Version 1.00? Major revisions/upgrades got new integers, minor ones got new numbers to the right of the decimal point. So all hangs on "definitions of terms."

In the end, I think you're spot-on correct. Because, this ⬇

I cant be worried about people who dont bother to learn what they are exchanging for what. .... People who buy a thing and never bother to learn what it costs, in terms of privacy and intrusion, well, that's on them.

Nice post. T/Y. Always enjoys your thoughts/view points.

Have a great evening on this very pleasant 🐫 day.

--- End of line (MCP)