Half-Ton People

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
We are sitting here watching this show on TLC. I can't figure out how a person can get that huge!

They have teens on here. I can't figure out why the parents feed the kid like that. They do surgery on them and they lose some but go back to bad eating habits. It's showing them at fast food restaurants. Why? And if the person is to fat to get up why do people keep giving them food? The one is 19 and his mom still washes his hair. Do you know why? Not because he can't but he said he is just to lazy. :barf:

B

Bean

Personally I think of obesity on this level as suicide. I don't think these people want to live.

To chicken to put a bullet in their heads so they gorge...

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Researchers are starting to determine the brain circuitry responsible for this default “eat” message. Marcelo Dietrich and Tamas Horvath tell the story of false starts and measured successes in obesity research. They propose that developing successful obesity therapy may require combining drug therapy with psychological or psychiatric approaches, as well as exercise. In the sidebar, they examine the opposite of obesity: anorexia nervosa.

Wired for Hunger: The Brain and Obesity - Dana Foundation

B

Bean

Researchers are starting to determine the brain circuitry responsible for this default “eat” message. Marcelo Dietrich and Tamas Horvath tell the story of false starts and measured successes in obesity research. They propose that developing successful obesity therapy may require combining drug therapy with psychological or psychiatric approaches, as well as exercise. In the sidebar, they examine the opposite of obesity: anorexia nervosa.

Are they now saying obesity is a disease?????? Shoot me.

rpexie

.:Georgia Peach:.
I cant imagine anyone wants to be that large, so I really think it must be some kind of psychological problem.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Are they now saying obesity is a disease?????? Shoot me.
I was fat because I ate too much and because I was lazy.

The only disease I had was the one that caused me to continually put the food-loaded fork to my mouth and eat.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I am always amazed when they show the grossly obese person that is so large they can not leave their bed yet still maintain their size and weight. The family sits around and cries and complains about the family member's size. Who the heck is bringing them the food? There must be a fair amount of enablers out there. The families might try reducing what the provide to the obese person until they are capable of getting out of their bed and through their door to start feeding themselves.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I was fat because I ate too much and because I was lazy.

The only disease I had was the one that caused me to continually put the food-loaded fork to my mouth and eat.

I don't think that, in and of itself, is always the reason. There plenty of people who eat like horses, and never gain weight. I do, however, think that people who have a tendency to easily gain, should find a diet plan that works well for them.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I watched that last night. How can people keep giving these obese people more food?

When I worked in hospitals, I truely dreaded having these super obese patients. It wasn't OFTEN, but there are some super morbidly obese folks in st. Mary's (never saw too many in frederick, and that was a bigger hospital)...everything is so much more complicated with a patient that size.

But what always amazed me..and still does is that family members bring them junk! hospital meals, though yucky, are generally good portions and many are calorie controlled (if diabetes or order from nutritionist) and they STILL bring in junk. I had a 536 lb patient I'll never forget..the room always smelled like micky d's. We asked him about it (he was on calorie controlled diet per the doc) and he always said it was his family's meal. When I changed his sheets in the morning I always found french fries squished in them and when he left there were about 10 micky d's bags in his closet behind an extra blanket. We talked to the gf..(hefty chick herself) and she said that he became so nasty with her if she didnt bring anything she felt she had to. I was like "ummm what's he gonna do, run after you?"

I have found obese patients to be very manipulative about food, that may be why.

S

shiki

When I worked in hospitals, I truely dreaded having these super obese patients. It wasn't OFTEN, but there are some super morbidly obese folks in st. Mary's (never saw too many in frederick, and that was a bigger hospital)...everything is so much more complicated with a patient that size.

But what always amazed me..and still does is that family members bring them junk! hospital meals, though yucky, are generally good portions and many are calorie controlled (if diabetes or order from nutritionist) and they STILL bring in junk. I had a 536 lb patient I'll never forget..the room always smelled like micky d's. We asked him about it (he was on calorie controlled diet per the doc) and he always said it was his family's meal. When I changed his sheets in the morning I always found french fries squished in them and when he left there were about 10 micky d's bags in his closet behind an extra blanket. We talked to the gf..(hefty chick herself) and she said that he became so nasty with her if she didnt bring anything she felt she had to. I was like "ummm what's he gonna do, run after you?"

I have found obese patients to be very manipulative about food, that may be why.

LoL I guess I'm a freak cuz I love hospital food!

To the topic though, I found this article:

500 Pound Woman Saved From Fire

I wonder if nearly dying because she couldn't get out of bed because of her massive weight will motivate a lifestyle change.

B

Bean

I believe that morbid obesity is absolutely releated to mental issues. I often wonder if these people hate themselves.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I believe that morbid obesity is absolutely releated to mental issues. I often wonder if these people hate themselves.

You know..i think that is part of it..I have had some good convos with folks..and what I get from almost all of them that they got to a certain point..and gave up...some people are motivated to lose when they get big..some give in to it...deciding that losing weight would be so torturous that being obese was better.

B

Bean

You know..i think that is part of it..I have had some good convos with folks..and what I get from almost all of them that they got to a certain point..and gave up...some people are motivated to lose when they get big..some give in to it...deciding that losing weight would be so torturous that being obese was better.

It is honestly so sad.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
We are sitting here watching this show on TLC. I can't figure out how a person can get that huge!

They have teens on here. I can't figure out why the parents feed the kid like that. They do surgery on them and they lose some but go back to bad eating habits. It's showing them at fast food restaurants. Why? And if the person is to fat to get up why do people keep giving them food? The one is 19 and his mom still washes his hair. Do you know why? Not because he can't but he said he is just to lazy. :barf:

So what are we teaching our kids by getting surgery? We're not teaching them to work hard at something to achieve a goal. So now we have a problem with being lazy, is laziness a disease also?
I can understand parents are enablers because we get tired, we work hard and when we come home or our child comes home at the end of the day sometimes we want what's easy so we give in but we need to resist that. Let your kid do things for themselves, let them help you make dinner, let them fail but show them the tools to make it better, don't do it for them. Kids need to know hard work or they're going to set themselves up for disappointment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hate stories like this because it makes me think, cool! I'm not so bad after all! Bring on the Fritos and beer! :banana:

So let's talk about skinny people instead so I can be motivated to work out after the show, shall we?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Anyone wanna know why medical care costs so much?

How many researchers, how much therapy, how many drugs and counseling does it take to put down the damn Twinkies?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I hate stories like this because it makes me think, cool! I'm not so bad after all! Bring on the Fritos and beer! :banana:

So let's talk about skinny people instead so I can be motivated to work out after the show, shall we?

Watching the "half ton" shows makes me really hungry, strangest thing.

google female abs. All the inspiration you will ever need. My screensaver is the hottest set of abs ever...gotta get 20 down before tiki opening..:lmao:

LusbyMom

But what always amazed me..and still does is that family members bring them junk

That is what I saw in the show last night. It's the families that enable these type of obese people. The one mother was crying about how afraid she was for her son and that she didn't want him to die. Then she turns around and hands him a Big Mac. Why not hand him and apple or a banana? What is he going to do if she doesn't? He can't even get out of bed.

One of the teenagers on the show last night did end up dying. These are young people. They were brought up this way. I can't imagine letting my children eat like that and giving them food. One of the kids was well over 300 pounds by 9 years old. Seriously? He got that way how? Then they wait until he is 1000 pounds before they realize their is a problem?

LusbyMom

Anyone wanna know why medical care costs so much?

How many researchers, how much therapy, how many drugs and counseling does it take to put down the damn Twinkies?

They said these people are disabled. So being obese is a disability because they can't put down the fries? I wonder if they get to collect disability for this?