Half-Ton People

B

Bean

They said these people are disabled. So being obese is a disability because they can't put down the fries? I wonder if they get to collect disability for this?

How long can you live morbidly obese?

400 lbs?

500 lbs?

600 lbs?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
That is what I saw in the show last night. It's the families that enable these type of obese people. The one mother was crying about how afraid she was for her son and that she didn't want him to die. Then she turns around and hands him a Big Mac. Why not hand him and apple or a banana? What is he going to do if she doesn't? He can't even get out of bed.

One of the teenagers on the show last night did end up dying. These are young people. They were brought up this way. I can't imagine letting my children eat like that and giving them food. One of the kids was well over 300 pounds by 9 years old. Seriously? He got that way how? Then they wait until he is 1000 pounds before they realize their is a problem?

There are two or three shows about this particular mother-son relationship..it is extremely unhealthy..but did you catch the part where her other son died? She is over compensating by indulging him..and he has turned into the biggest spoiled brat imaginable...so fascinating..SO makes fun of me because I love to watch them... but to see the codependence and manipulation happen is amazing...so by her irrational fear he will die..she is killing him. Not sure which one you watched but the follow up shows him GAINING weight after his surgery when he goes home. Imagine, radical surgery..but still gaining! They need to be far away from each other, and quick.

B

Bronwyn

They said these people are disabled. So being obese is a disability because they can't put down the fries? I wonder if they get to collect disability for this?

Just found out on Sunday that my bos from the hospital is scheduled to get Gastric Bypass surgery.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My new favorite show is Ruby. She used to be 700+ pounds and now is 350 (and still losing). No surgery either. Just diet and exercise. I've never had a weight problem but I find her story inspirational.

B

Bronwyn

There are two or three shows about this particular mother-son relationship..it is extremely unhealthy..but did you catch the part where her other son died? She is over compensating by indulging him..and he has turned into the biggest spoiled brat imaginable...so fascinating..SO makes fun of me because I love to watch them... but to see the codependence and manipulation happen is amazing...so by her irrational fear he will die..she is killing him. Not sure which one you watched but the follow up shows him GAINING weight after his surgery when he goes home. Imagine, radical surgery..but still gaining! They need to be far away from each other, and quick.

We saw that in the psych ward at the hospital. Mothers with grown sons that acted like they were still 5. We caught a mother giving her 19 year old son a shower in the ward. Almost like a version of munchhousen (sp? :lol:)syndrome.

C

CalvertNewbie

That is what I saw in the show last night. It's the families that enable these type of obese people. The one mother was crying about how afraid she was for her son and that she didn't want him to die. Then she turns around and hands him a Big Mac. Why not hand him and apple or a banana? What is he going to do if she doesn't? He can't even get out of bed.

One of the teenagers on the show last night did end up dying. These are young people. They were brought up this way. I can't imagine letting my children eat like that and giving them food. One of the kids was well over 300 pounds by 9 years old. Seriously? He got that way how? Then they wait until he is 1000 pounds before they realize their is a problem?

Was that the one where they showed the funeral before he was able to be helped because they waited too long to seek help for him? If so, I saw that one too.

Also saw the one where the mother brought her 19(?) year old son home after months in the hospital and immediately cooked hotdogs for him. I don't understand how any parent can allow their children to get so huge. What kind of teenager wouldn't have an issue with his Mommy bathing him still? Ridiculous! Not really sure why CPS doesn't step in - I consider this abuse because they really are slowly killing their kids.

Yes they sure can. Had a neighbor who was basically deemed too fat to work. Sat on her ass all day and ate, ate, ate on the taxpayer's dime.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
So what are we teaching our kids by getting surgery? We're not teaching them to work hard at something to achieve a goal. So now we have a problem with being lazy, is laziness a disease also?
I can understand parents are enablers because we get tired, we work hard and when we come home or our child comes home at the end of the day sometimes we want what's easy so we give in but we need to resist that. Let your kid do things for themselves, let them help you make dinner, let them fail but show them the tools to make it better, don't do it for them. Kids need to know hard work or they're going to set themselves up for disappointment.

I have been working on my own weight and trying to get healthy for awhile now. It is hard work. When I hear people say oh I lost 100 pounds I am like :faint: then I find out they had surgery. That's the easy way to me. That isn't the same as what I have been doing. I work my butt off everyday.

And as a parent of 3 active kids it is really easy to hit the drive thru at McDonalds instead of coming home to make a healthy meal. After working all day and then running from one of event or another afterwards the last thing I want to do is come home and cook. My kids are into sports and 6 days a week we spend at practices and games. Some days are doubled up and I am running them everywhere. But gradually I have made changes. I heard alot of grumbles at first. But they are adjusting and I hear less grumbles than in the beginning.

I have to work on myself, but also realized that just because they are not over weight now they were living a life to become that way. Now when they reach for a snack instead of oreos they get something healthy. Junk food hasn't been taken totally away but they don't have it often. Now IF they get chips they are not picking up the entire bag and munching away. Instead I have divided the bag up into ziploc bag serving sizes.

Last edited:

LusbyMom

We watched about half of the first one and then caught the entire second show. Did you see how she made him that sandwich? Washing his hair simply because he is to lazy?

I did hear that her other child died. I didn't hear why or what happened. Was it obesity also?

LusbyMom

Was that the one where they showed the funeral before he was able to be helped because they waited too long to seek help for him? If so, I saw that one too.

Also saw the one where the mother brought her 19(?) year old son home after months in the hospital and immediately cooked hotdogs for him. I don't understand how any parent can allow their children to get so huge. What kind of teenager wouldn't have an issue with his Mommy bathing him still? Ridiculous! Not really sure why CPS doesn't step in - I consider this abuse because they really are slowly killing their kids.

Yes they sure can. Had a neighbor who was basically deemed too fat to work. Sat on her ass all day and ate, ate, ate on the taxpayer's dime.

yes they showed the funeral and it was sad. These are young people and the parents should have stepped in long ago.

The one boy who's mother babied him just wanted to go home and kept arguing with the doctor and throwing a temper tantrum. He wanted to go home so he could go back to being lazy and eating like a pig.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
My new favorite show is Ruby. She used to be 700+ pounds and now is 350 (and still losing). No surgery either. Just diet and exercise. I've never had a weight problem but I find her story inspirational.

I loved that show..is it back on? I haven't seen it in awhile...she was so cute and real.

sockgirl77

The Wii Fit says my 8 year old is obese. She is far from fat. She freaks out every time it says "that's obese"

While I know that I'm overweight and am currently dieting, I'm not obese. I hate that damn chart. However, the doc says that it's time for me to start losing weight before my diabetes becomes an issue again.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have been working on my own weight and trying to get healthy for awhile now. It is hard work. When I hear people say oh I lost 100 pounds I am like :faint: then I find out they had surgery. That's the easy way to me. That isn't the same as what I have been doing. I work my butt off everyday.

And as a parent of 3 active kids it is really easy to hit the drive thru at McDonalds instead of coming home to make a healthy meal. After working all day and then running from one of event or another afterwards the last thing I want to do is come home and cook. My kids are into sports and 6 days a week we spend at practices and games. Some days are doubled up and I am running them everywhere. But gradually I have made changes. I heard alot of grumbles at first. But they are adjusting and I hear less grumbles than in the beginning.

I have to work on myself, but also realized that just because they are not over weight now they were living a life to become that way. Now when they reach for a snack instead of oreos they get something healthy. Junk food hasn't been taking totally away but they don't have it often. Now IF they get chips they are not picking up the entire bag and munching away. Instead I have divided the bag up into ziploc bag serving sizes.

My two boys are also into sports and the entire practice, I hear other parents talking about which restaurant they're going to afterwards. Two practices a week. On nights one of my sons has practice, we normally will eat some sort of sandwich (egg salad, tuna, grilled cheese) instead of stopping by the drive-thru.

Also, I will stick a handful of chips in a bowl and that will be their snack after school but most of the time, they will go for a granola bar or Goldfish to snack on. I've tried to raise them to go for the healthier snacks by saying that all that junk in your belly will get it upset and then you'll be stuck on the toilet all night. :lol:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
We saw that in the psych ward at the hospital. Mothers with grown sons that acted like they were still 5. We caught a mother giving her 19 year old son a shower in the ward. Almost like a version of munchhousen (sp? :lol:)syndrome.

Exactly! Creepy kinda..notice a lot of times the dad is out of the picture?

We watched about half of the first one and then caught the entire second show. Did you see how she made him that sandwich? Washing his hair simply because he is to lazy?

I did hear that her other child died. I didn't hear why or what happened. Was it obesity also?

I don't think so, car accident maybe? I just couldn't see my son look like that, or not be able to bathe himself..I would do anything to help him..not contribute.