Hamster Help!!

kmbetit

K Betit
Since there isn't anything for small animals I wasn't sure where to post this.

Went to check on my Hammy tonight after being away for the weekend, and noticed he was missing hair on the side of his face. When I took him out of his cage, it appeared that he had a piece of wood wedged into his cheek, midway below his eye. With the help of five friends, we were able to hold him still enough to get it out, and what came out was what appears to be a tooth about a quarter of an inch long. Oh my god, I have dealt with all sorts of horse injuries, but this has to be the worst. We cleaned it out well, but I do not know what else to do. I have to admit that working on larger animals is far easier then a little one that doesn't stay still, and is very hard to keep ahold of. I would prefer not to take him to the vet.

He does still have all of his teeth, so my guess is that one of them overgrew, through his face? Doesn't seem right considering that it wasn't there when I left three days ago, and I hadn't noticed his teeth getting long. I feel terrible, poor little guy. He does have chew sticks and things, but I haven't noticed him using them.

Any ideas? He doesn't seem to be in pain, he's running on his wheel and drinking and eating. Just so weird....

backagain39

Petco and Petsmart have antiseptic and antibotic lotions for cats and dogs so they may have something for hamsters. Maybe you can find something there that you can apply with a Q-tip so it doesn't get infected. If he is eating and drinking ok, then he will probably be fine but keep checking him for infection.

I

Inkpen

Since there isn't anything for small animals I wasn't sure where to post this.

Went to check on my Hammy tonight after being away for the weekend, and noticed he was missing hair on the side of his face. When I took him out of his cage, it appeared that he had a piece of wood wedged into his cheek, midway below his eye. With the help of five friends, we were able to hold him still enough to get it out, and what came out was what appears to be a tooth about a quarter of an inch long. Oh my god, I have dealt with all sorts of horse injuries, but this has to be the worst. We cleaned it out well, but I do not know what else to do. I have to admit that working on larger animals is far easier then a little one that doesn't stay still, and is very hard to keep ahold of. I would prefer not to take him to the vet.

He does still have all of his teeth, so my guess is that one of them overgrew, through his face? Doesn't seem right considering that it wasn't there when I left three days ago, and I hadn't noticed his teeth getting long. I feel terrible, poor little guy. He does have chew sticks and things, but I haven't noticed him using them.

Any ideas? He doesn't seem to be in pain, he's running on his wheel and drinking and eating. Just so weird....

flush wound well with water...
Check mouth for any other long incissors..
You can trim his teeth with clippers... I do it all the time with squirrels.
And a tooth will grow out thru the gum and cheek.
You can alway take to the vet and get a dental check done.

Hope he is OK!!!

M

Mousebaby

I would definitely get some of the animal antibiotics at the store, you don't want him to get infected and I'm not sure if using neosporin on that would be good because he will clean it off and make himself sick. Just make sure to keep the wound clean until it heels. Maybe make a solution of warm salt water and dab a washcloth in it and then gently rub his cheek with it.

jsouthan

flush wound well with water...
Check mouth for any other long incissors..
You can trim his teeth with clippers... I do it all the time with squirrels.
And a tooth will grow out thru the gum and cheek.
You can alway take to the vet and get a dental check done.

Hope he is OK!!!

We had dwarf hamsters that we had to do this with. Some of them use those chew things... some of them don't. We ended up at the vet when the first one had the teeth grow through the front of her face. After that, we just clipped them with fingernail clippers when they started to get long. If you scruff them tightly by the back of the neck, they wriggle for a few seconds then settle down. They may start wriggling again, but if you have them by the scruff they will settle down -- this is the best way to hold them. Good luck, it does take patience!