Handgun background checks...

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Sadness, I think once you pass the first check you should be good for x amount of years and give you a card/permit. Glad when I bought last Oct it was only 5 days. :shrug:

I was thinking about an AR-15 before the nanny MD state laws kick in but wow the prices are crazy!

sockgirl77

...place up here says the 7 day waiting period is now up to...

...8 weeks.

30-45 days is what MSP is saying. I called to check on mine last Friday (March 29) and they were processing applications that were received on February 15. Two days prior to that call the FFL was told that they were on February 8 applications.

...place up here says the 7 day waiting period is now up to...

...8 weeks.

The floor leader for SB281 (i.e. a supporter of the bill) acknowledged during debate the other day that the MSP indicate applications are now taking about 55 days. She seemed to think they thought it was starting to come down though.

Oh... and I believe they rejected an amendment to SB281 that would have allowed people that began the process of buying a handgun before October 1st to finish the purchase after October 1st without the license that would then be required. Someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The floor leader for SB281 (i.e. a supporter of the bill) acknowledged during debate the other day that the MSP indicate applications are now taking about 55 days. She seemed to think they thought it was starting to come down though.

True, true. 55 days is less than 8 weeks.

Now, imagine how it's gonna be once the licensing and training and all that other crap that NONE of the infrastructure even exists for, starts. As it is now, cops statewide have to go through a lot just to do their quals.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh... and I believe they rejected an amendment to SB281 that would have allowed people that began the process of buying a handgun before October 1st to finish the purchase after October 1st without the license that would then be required. Someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I thought I read that if you'd did the purchase transaction before then, you were good??? If not, a terribly stupid bill is only worse and worse and worse.

DEEKAYPEE8569

True, true. 55 days is less than 8 weeks.

Now, imagine how it's gonna be once the licensing and training and all that other crap that NONE of the infrastructure even exists for, starts. As it is now, cops statewide have to go through a lot just to do their quals.

Sounds like an engineered technicality, don't it?

I thought I read that if you'd did the purchase transaction before then, you were good??? If not, a terribly stupid bill is only worse and worse and worse.

As far as buying an assault long gun or a copycat weapon goes, yes, you're good so long as you ordered it or completed the application before October 1st. Here's the latest adopted amendment regarding that.

When it comes to buying handguns, however, they rejected a similar amendment (here) which would have allowed dealers to sell you a handgun, and you to receive a handgun, without the license if you had ordered it before October 1st.

Delegate Dumais (the floor leader for the bill in the House) justified rejecting the latter amendment even though the former one was adopted because, as regards the assault long guns, people would no longer be able to buy them after October 1st whereas people would still be able to buy handguns. They would just need the license to do so.

As I've indicated, I'm still waiting to see an updated version of the bill reflecting all of the amendments made in the House. But, the best I can tell from piecing together those amendments with the text as it was passed by the Senate, there is no such saving provision for people that have already ordered a handgun (but not yet taken possession of it) before the licensing requirement goes into effect.

Tomcat

Anytime
What if said hand gun's magazine holds more than 10 rounds? Wouldn't that be banned after the 1st?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Sadness, I think once you pass the first check you should be good for x amount of years and give you a card/permit. Glad when I bought last Oct it was only 5 days. :shrug:

I was thinking about an AR-15 before the nanny MD state laws kick in but wow the prices are crazy!

Some places online still have reasonable prices.

Outside of MD the panic is starting to wane, prices are coming down, and availability is going up.

You can find almost any make AR now, a LITTLE over past retail but not by much.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So leaning towards the SIG RM400 E OR the Bushmaster CAR15...

Harder towards the SIG..

Thoughts??

AND my thinking is handgun or rifle.. RIfle is much easier to shoot well in the least amount of time. AR models are some of the easiest guns to shoot, and learn to shoot accurately.

Handguns are light and compact, but harder to handle/control and little scary for first time users. Much more time needed to develop the skills to be accurate consistently.. and would need a small(er) caliber for ease of use.

So definitely leaning towards an AR, but which one?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So leaning towards the SIG RM400 E OR the Bushmaster CAR15...

Harder towards the SIG..

Thoughts??

AND my thinking is handgun or rifle.. RIfle is much easier to shoot well in the least amount of time. AR models are some of the easiest guns to shoot, and learn to shoot accurately.

Handguns are light and compact, but harder to handle/control and little scary for first time users. Much more time needed to develop the skills to be accurate consistently.. and would need a small(er) caliber for ease of use.

So definitely leaning towards an AR, but which one?
Depends on what you're looking to do with it, I suppose.

Are you looking to kill me with it, or just shoot me so that I fall to the ground, barely injured?

What if said hand gun's magazine holds more than 10 rounds? Wouldn't that be banned after the 1st?

I would think so, at least the standard magazine that comes with the handgun. You'd still be able to buy or sell the handgun itself.

I had thought someone had introduced an amendment to deal with that issue, but I have found no such amendment - at least, not one that passed. That leaves an interesting situation. I doubt the law would be interpreted to permit the sale or transfer of those magazines along with the sale or transfer of those handguns. So what do dealers do? Not sell those handgun models, of which there are many? Will some handgun manufacturers produce and include special limited-capacity magazines for Maryland sales? Will dealers get third party limited-capacity magazines and include them with the sale of those models? Or the customer will have to buy those magazines separately? Perhaps I've missed a saving provision somewhere in the bill that deals with this issue, but I kind of doubt that.

Inkd

As far as buying an assault long gun or a copycat weapon goes, yes, you're good so long as you ordered it or completed the application before October 1st. Here's the latest adopted amendment regarding that.

When it comes to buying handguns, however, they rejected a similar amendment (here) which would have allowed dealers to sell you a handgun, and you to receive a handgun, without the license if you had ordered it before October 1st.

Delegate Dumais (the floor leader for the bill in the House) justified rejecting the latter amendment even though the former one was adopted because, as regards the assault long guns, people would no longer be able to buy them after October 1st whereas people would still be able to buy handguns. They would just need the license to do so.

As I've indicated, I'm still waiting to see an updated version of the bill reflecting all of the amendments made in the House. But, the best I can tell from piecing together those amendments with the text as it was passed by the Senate, there is no such saving provision for people that have already ordered a handgun (but not yet taken possession of it) before the licensing requirement goes into effect.

Great, if I'm still in this F'd up state by the time my Nighthawk Custom pistol is ready for delivery, I will have to go through the idiotic licensing process.