Happy Made Up Holiday Day!

SailorGirl

Best date ever? Worst date ever? Bonus points if it happened on Valentines day. Winners announced and prizes awarded tonight at 9!!!

Probably best date ever for me was being flown to Ocean City from DC, eating at Phillips, walking in the ocean that night, and getting flown back. AND we walked far enough along the beach to reach an unpopulated area just dark enough to really see some stars. That was spectacular. Still not the big sky stuff I really hope to see before I die, but still...

Worst date - right here at Patuxent River. Got left at the Navy base theater because I feel asleep during Titanic - like 30 minutes into it. When I woke up, very near the end of the movie, the two male Marines sitting next to us told me that my date said - not that she's interested, but tell her I left. Or words to that effect.

To this day, I still wonder why two male Marines were watching Titanic.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Best Valentine's date ever? Probably with my wife, just a year before we got married. I was still unemployed, but that didn't stop me from spending every dime I had on her - bought her jewelry with her birthstone, flowers, went to the Melting Pot and they brought her flowers, balloons and champagne. I spoiled her rotten. Also one of the few times I actually got dressed up. Very nice.

Can't recall a worst V-Day date - if I had one at all on Valentine's Day, it was going to be a good one.

SamSpade

I remember Cariblue - or whatever her new name has been these past many years - commenting once that she thought that Valentine's Day was not ONLY a made up holiday which only served a commercial purpose - but that the very idea of "romance" was a bit concocted to favor women, because while men do romantic things for women - it's kind of rare that anyone thinks of a romantic thing that women do, for men. At least, none that aren't overtly sexual.

Being a big believer in romance - I told a story of one woman who WAS romantic, towards me. One of the more amazing stories I have.

SailorGirl

I remember Cariblue - or whatever her new name has been these past many years - commenting once that she thought that Valentine's Day was not ONLY a made up holiday which only served a commercial purpose - but that the very idea of "romance" was a bit concocted to favor women, because while men do romantic things for women - it's kind of rare that anyone thinks of a romantic thing that women do, for men. At least, none that aren't overtly sexual.

Being a big believer in romance - I told a story of one woman who WAS romantic, towards me. One of the more amazing stories I have.
Can you find the post? I sent a dozen roses to a guy I was seeing in Charleston once. I think I got a rock that year. Not the ring variety either.

beachcat

I need a nap
Best date ever was believe it or not, was watching a caps game in olde town at the penalty box. just so much fun memories, he was an old classmate and we reconnected thru facebook, nothing had yet developed romatically, but he was a great friend. then he had to go and die on me a year or so later.
Worst date was when this guy shows up totally plastered (after telling me he didn't drink, which I was ok with), then I had to threaten him with a restraining order if he didn't leave me alone. that was a sad case.

SamSpade

Can you find the post? I sent a dozen roses to a guy I was seeing in Charleston once. I think I got a rock that year. Not the ring variety either.
No, but I can tell the story...

A girl I knew - who was just seriously infatuated with me for reasons that even now still perplex me (ok, I did look a bit like a shorter, thinner version of Ben Affleck then, but I was a total geek, not that THAT has ever changed) - had invited me to her campus for lunch. We'd been out a few times, and I guess when you're in your late twenties, dating a girl who is 20 feels a little - off. So while I liked her, deep down I didn't think it was right.

She always wrote cards after a date, and she once took umbrage with me when I was dismissive of her interest in me - she was much more mature and insightful than I gave her credit for.

Anyway, after our lunch date, she took me to one of her piano practice rooms, where she played a number of really pleasant pieces of music, including a favorite of mine, which we'd talked about on a previous date. She would mention that was part of the reason why she LEARNED it - because she knew I liked it.

That wasn't the romantic part.

She didn't learn the SONG to impress me --

She learned to PLAY THE PIANO to impress me. THAT was how she felt.

I don't know how I was ever, ever stupid enough to let her get away from me.

SailorGirl

No, but I can tell the story...

A girl I knew - who was just seriously infatuated with me for reasons that even now still perplex me (ok, I did look a bit like a shorter, thinner version of Ben Affleck then, but I was a total geek, not that THAT has ever changed) - had invited me to her campus for lunch. We'd been out a few times, and I guess when you're in your late twenties, dating a girl who is 20 feels a little - off. So while I liked her, deep down I didn't think it was right.

She always wrote cards after a date, and she once took umbrage with me when I was dismissive of her interest in me - she was much more mature and insightful than I gave her credit for.

Anyway, after our lunch date, she took me to one of her piano practice rooms, where she played a number of really pleasant pieces of music, including a favorite of mine, which we'd talked about on a previous date. She would mention that was part of the reason why she LEARNED it - because she knew I liked it.

That wasn't the romantic part.

She didn't learn the SONG to impress me --

She learned to PLAY THE PIANO to impress me. THAT was how she felt.

I don't know how I was ever, ever stupid enough to let her get away from me.
Blown away - THAT is an AMAZING story. Top that everyone!! How did it end - just drifted apart?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The bad date that didn't happen:

Really cute guy and I had been flirting back and forth. He finally asks me out for a date. So excited! He finally showed up to pick me up, only to tell me he was married. Adios *******!

SamSpade

Blown away - THAT is an AMAZING story. Top that everyone!! How did it end - just drifted apart?
Basically - yes. I think not long after that, she was now in college - started later than most - and she met more guys closer to her age, and eventually lost interest in the grad student who went to school 40 miles away. I was wrestling with any number of other things - like how I could afford college and pay bills with a wrecked car - so, it just happened that way. And I also became more interested in someone else - and that also failed.

SailorGirl

The bad date that didn't happen:

Really cute guy and I had been flirting back and forth. He finally asks me out for a date. So excited! He finally showed up to pick me up, only to tell me he was married. Adios ***!
Men..… I went out with a guy from TPS for two weeks. Told me he was newly separated from his wife. What he really meant was she was in Norfolk visiting her sick mother for a month.