Harbor Freight in Waldorf?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Traded in a Craftsman ratchet yesterday without question. It's one of those that comes in the $9.99 Christmas time special.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think I have you both beat, I got some of my grandfathers Craftsman stuff, he died 10 years ago, he was 91 when he died.

I wanted the table saw that was in his garage but at the time I had no way to get it out of there to Maryland, it was from around 1952 when he moved into that house.
My brother has my dad's old Black and Decker drill, which dad bought in 1956 when he was outfitting himself to follow his dad into the oil/coal furnace/boiler service trade. Still works good, has the original cord on it.

Speaking of Craftsman and Sears, I was in Waldorf today, so stopped in to get some stuff. The tool section is pitiful. Awful. Just generic stuff, screwdrivers, wrenches. The guy said he can't even get dremmel tool its or supplies. But they did have some pretty good prices on screwdriver packs, so I got a new complete set of screwdrivers. The ones I use often have rounded off tips.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Bosch owns Dremel, as well as Roto-Zip, Skill and Vermont American (that I know of)...could be they are one of the suppliers Sears has had trouble paying.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I bought this Harbor Freight cabinet a few years ago (I guess I have series I) for $400. It's a beauty IMO. I compared to similar items found in other stores in a 50 mile radius and this stood out far above the others in quality. Some of their other cabinets, not nearly as good.

https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-x-22-in-double-bank-red-roller-cabinet-64133.html

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Picked this little gem up on sale for $149.99 to ferry my tools around the shop so I'm not constantly running back and forth.

glhs837

Power with Control
My guy in Fredericksburg was not happy to hear about Waldorf. Told me that my membership had lapsed and if I renewed he could cut me 25% off the $40 item I was buying.

Clem72

Harbor Freight is okay if you are buying a tool for a small short term job. If you expect to use the tool for a few years or more you would be better going with a higher end place. It is kind of like buying a Zebco 33 to go fishing for a weekend or a Penn 7500 to go fishing for a lifetime.

I have a tig welder and autodark helmet I bought at HF in 1998. Probably use them once every few months since then. Still work perfectly.

Clem72

Most of my tools came off those trucks. Cornwell, Mac, Matco, Snap-on....you're paying a hefty price for convenience and a revolving charge account, but sometimes, it can't be helped, specifically with respect to specialty tools.

October was like shop-Christmas back in the day. Trucks would roll in and we would get a $300 voucher for tools and any single pair of workboots we wanted.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
My guy in Fredericksburg was not happy to hear about Waldorf.
I'll bet, but can't say I'll miss the drive and the bridge toll.

The stores are all company owned, no franchisees, so, I assume they did their homework in regards to cutting their own throat at other nearby locations --- not that an hour's drive in any direction is all that close.

glhs837

Power with Control
Exactly, I quite often think I would like to grab something, but it's not worth the drive down. Being 40 minutes away is much better. But if management gets rewarded for sales, and he knows a lot of his sales start with a 206 zip code, he knows how much he'll be losing when one opens up in that zip.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If I need something in short order, I may visit the Waldorf store, but I enjoy the road trip as much as the destination.

DannyMotorcycle

sears has a few court cases where they ripped off patents and inventors.. so i just use their free cash to get stuff from them and don't patronize them otherwise.. they're about to go out of business anyway.. i havne't had good luck with harbor freight batteries. i've gotten a few moving blankets and tarps and screw drivers. I need to get another set of screwdrivers.. might as well get a set for every vehicle. I'd be very wary of their air compressors, especially the black upright ones, i've seen a couple of people giving them away when they've gone bad. I do have the electric impact wrench. Good for taking wheels off. Don't use them for putting lugs on as you'll over tighten the lugs and stress them and they'll break on you on the road. Oh and i've scored lots of trailer lights at great prices on rare parking lot sales.... so yea i'm looking forward to this one.

DannyMotorcycle

maybe i'll get lucky.. freakingpinch bolt on my upper right ball joint (2wd) is absent and the ball joint appears to have moved down and shifted..
(f250 superduty 07) maybe i can press it back up and pinch it... without doing the full job... and without buying the balljoint tool. I did buy another ball joint even though the one inside feels like it's working proper... or if anyone knows anyone who would want to swap it for me for a good price let me know.. guess i'll be going to HF today to see if i can get any good opening day discounts on tools/supplies.