Harpy Parakeets

R

Rienell

Hello bird lovers. I just moved here in June, and my new neighbor talked me into taking her two parakeets. (free cage and everything) She says she can't care for them due to health reasons. I thought, ok, I'll be a good Samaritan and take them. I'm an animal lover and although I've never had birds, I do like them.
I'm not sure if this is normal for parakeets, but these two birds make the most gawd-awful screeching noise you've ever heard. They're a couple of harpies! I feel like I got swindled or something. lol I don't know if it's a territorial thing, or they just fight a lot, but the noise is downright annoying sometimes.
I have to put a towel over the cage to get them to calm down. When I take it off, they start right up again. Then, there's days you don't hear hardly anything from them other than normal singing/chirping.
I keep the cage very clean, change water everday, and make sure they have fresh food. I found that they squawk if the food dish is below acceptable levels.
Not sure what else to do, or if this is just normal for parakeets.
Words of wisdom anyone?

Debbie92454

I have four regular parakeets and there is days when they sing normally and then days when they act like they are gonna kill each other and the noise is deafing. You may have a male and female and some birds fight when they mate while others just sing (Like my one male Cockateil). Covering the cage will calm them down as they think it's bed time, even when it's not.

I guess I'm old fashioned because I cover my bird cages at night so they will rest better and because it seems that the trailer gets colder at night. This protects the birds from getting chills and getting sick. Colds often kill the birds.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Birdies

Parakeets are very territorial. Actually, they can be downright nasty from time to time. :mad:

Had several parakeets, cute birds but there's time where you want to strangle them. Sorry dude, you're stuck with that.

AndyMarquisLIVE

I have four regular parakeets and there is days when they sing normally and then days when they act like they are gonna kill each other and the noise is deafing. You may have a male and female and some birds fight when they mate while others just sing (Like my one male Cockateil). Covering the cage will calm them down as they think it's bed time, even when it's not.

I guess I'm old fashioned because I cover my bird cages at night so they will rest better and because it seems that the trailer gets colder at night. This protects the birds from getting chills and getting sick. Colds often kill the birds.
Cockatiels are awesome! :jet:

I had one that sang the Andy Griffith theme song.

Debbie92454

My one male Taco ( I didn't name him that) sings something that sounds like the entertainer. The other male boyfriend (again named that way when I got them) sings whatever you sing to him.He also say's Hello now.
Lady is my noisy one. I have no idea why. She squawks when I ffed her and then she just keeps on squawking for no reason. She is a very tame bird and loves to sit on your shoulder. Tootie the other female has two sets of babies. The first is almost six months old and the other set is 7 weeks old. I also have the four parakeets and two Zebra Finches. I love my birds.

R

Rienell

My Girl Parakeet killed my Boy Parakeet. I think she got tired of his pecker!
:lmao::lmao: I'll leave that one alone!

Thanks for the replies! This seems to be normal behaviour, so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and put up with it. :whack:

arabianpony

My parakeet was out alot and she would squawk if she wanted out. Most of the time I could just open the door and she would entertain herself, but sometimes it was like that wasn't even enough and she would fuss till I played with her.

R

Rienell

Oh yes. I can relate to that. I used to wonder why I'm so tired at the end of the day. From hearing jet engines at work all day, then coming home to Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!, Meow, meow, meow, meow, squawk, squawk, squawk, and hey, hon... where's this/that?... it's no wonder. lol
I wonder if I can claim noise fatigue on disability when I retire. hehe j/k.