Harris Teeter

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm not saying these people do not exist. What is it with the people on this forum always going to the extreme??

What I AM saying is that there are a hell of a lot more people who shop on a budget and cannot afford to spend the gas driving 3+ hours round trip to spend 40-50% more on groceries.

Most people will deal with the issues associated with WalMart, Aldi, and Weis in order to stay in budget.

I'll agree that most will, I haven't really been saying that the majority won't keep going to Walmart. That's why way back in post 59 that I thought Walmart gets a pass into round 2. What I am saying is that there are enough people who are going to ditch Giant, McKays and Weis to make HT viable. I can show you this in action, have you ever went to a farmers market? are those prices competitive with any grocery store? no, they're 3 and4 times higher, but it's what some people want.

Last edited:

Forkian

I'm not saying these people do not exist. What is it with the people on this forum always going to the extreme??

What I AM saying is that there are a hell of a lot more people who shop on a budget and cannot afford to spend the gas driving 3+ hours round trip to spend 40-50% more on groceries.

Most people will deal with the issues associated with WalMart, Aldi, and Weis in order to stay in budget.

And the rest will go to a grocer like Harris Teeter, etc.

Plenty of people that have to eat to support all of these business models.

Edit: Except for maybe Weis. Because, well...Weis sucks.

Last edited:

Baker12

The quality of the food, namely the butcher, vegetables, cheese types, etc. has always been why I avoid the grocery stores in So. Md. If you go to a Giant in Bethesda, vs a Food Lion in So Md the difference is night and day. Its just not good down there, and maybe that will improve with Harris Teeter, but experience has shown me otherwise. And don't even get me started on the old supermarket in Ridge, or what is their now next to the dollar store. Haiti has better quality

MiddleGround

I'll agree that most will, I haven't really been saying that the majority won't keep going to Walmart. That's why way back in post 59 that I thought Walmart gets a pass into round 2. What I am saying is that there are enough people who are going to ditch Giant, McKays and Weis to make HT viable. I can show you this in action, have you ever went to a farmers market? are those prices competitive with any grocery store? no, they're 3 and4 times higher, but it's what some people want.

So, Harris Teeter is going to flourish based on the small percentage of people that will decide to leave current grocery stores that are suffering due to WalMart and Aldi's? Did I get that right?

Also, farmer's markets are specifically catering to certain items. Vegetables, fruits, etc. Also, farmer's markets do not have building fees, chain fees, electric bills, etc. to be responsible for.

All I am saying is that I do not expect HT to be long lasting. Of course, it will get the typical SOMD treatment in the first 6 months to 1 year but... I see a steady decline after that.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
So, Harris Teeter is going to flourish based on the small percentage of people that will decide to leave current grocery stores that are suffering due to WalMart and Aldi's? Did I get that right?

Also, farmer's markets are specifically catering to certain items. Vegetables, fruits, etc. Also, farmer's markets do not have building fees, chain fees, electric bills, etc. to be responsible for.

All I am saying is that I do not expect HT to be long lasting. Of course, it will get the typical SOMD treatment in the first 6 months to 1 year but... I see a steady decline after that.
Those people who are going to these stores now are going because these stores are marginally better than going to Walmart while still staying local. That's is why I said that these stores are going to be the biggest losers to HT. Personally I think they'll probably take a fatal hit.

glhs837

Power with Control
. And don't even get me started on the old supermarket in Ridge, or what is their now next to the dollar store. Haiti has better quality

And fewer communicable diseases. Been there once, was pretty scary. And I've been in markets from Argentina to Turkey

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The quality of the food, namely the butcher, vegetables, cheese types, etc. has always been why I avoid the grocery stores in So. Md. If you go to a Giant in Bethesda, vs a Food Lion in So Md the difference is night and day. Its just not good down there, and maybe that will improve with Harris Teeter, but experience has shown me otherwise. And don't even get me started on the old supermarket in Ridge, or what is their now next to the dollar store. Haiti has better quality

Normal people would think that you would compare the same company store in both locations to make a fair comparison.

Note I said "normal people".

I imagine you're also the type to compare a 2018 Benz with a 1977 Chevette and declare the Benz a better car.

Baker12

Normal people would think that you would compare the same company store in both locations to make a fair comparison.

Note I said "normal people".

I imagine you're also the type to compare a 2018 Benz with a 1977 Chevette and declare the Benz a better car.

I've been to Food Lions all over Maryland, and the quality drops considerably when you get to So Md. I'd compare Raleys to others, but frankly there are none to my knowledge outside of St Marys. And for a reason, its absolutely disgusting. I remember buying steaks there, and its was dog food. The McKays in Leonardtown isn't bad, but if you go to a Giant in say Betheda, you'd never shop in So Md ever again.

And does anyone in So Maryland exercise?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But, the question is, would you pay even more at Harris Teeter because it is more, more pleasing?

Sometimes. I'm happy with Publix in the south, but I will still go to Whole Foods for produce, hot bar, etc. Just like I was happy with Giant, but still occasionally made the trek to Annapolis to Whole Foods.

MiddleGround

Sometimes. I'm happy with Publix in the south, but I will still go to Whole Foods for produce, hot bar, etc. Just like I was happy with Giant, but still occasionally made the trek to Annapolis to Whole Foods.

You specifically traveled 3 to 3 1/2 hours round trip to a grocery store just because you liked their produce and hot bar? That must be some stellar lettuce and mac-n-cheese they got there!

Or was it more than likely that you added it to an already planned trip?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You specifically traveled 3 to 3 1/2 hours round trip to a grocery store just because you liked their produce and hot bar? That must be some stellar lettuce and mac-n-cheese they got there!

Or was it more than likely that you added it to an already planned trip?

While in the area I might do some other shopping and have lunch at Zoe's Kitchen, but WF was the main draw. I would wake up on a Saturday or Sunday with no plans, and go, "Ooh! I should go to Whole Foods today!"

It's like how some women will make an excursion to the mall or outlets. I don't do that - I like grocery stores instead.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I've been to Food Lions all over Maryland, and the quality drops considerably when you get to So Md. I'd compare Raleys to others, but frankly there are none to my knowledge outside of St Marys. And for a reason, its absolutely disgusting. I remember buying steaks there, and its was dog food. The McKays in Leonardtown isn't bad, but if you go to a Giant in say Betheda, you'd never shop in So Md ever again.

What I wrote went right over your head didn't it?

MiddleGround

Much less, about an hour. I drive to Annapolis just for lunch.

Conveniently left out the 'round trip' part.

Also, where are you driving from that it takes you an hour or less to get to Annapolis? Is this lunch at 3am and doing 75 all the way?

luvmygdaughters

I'm sure going to a Foodlion or a Giant in Bethesda is right up there with spending a day at the Red Door Salons. I'm also sure the prices are considerably higher. I like McKays n Leonardtown. I have never purchased a bad steak, chicken, roast, etc. there. I like the butchers that work behind the meat counter, I can pick up a whole tenderloin roast, when they go on sale, take it to the butcher and have him cut it into steaks and always with a smile on his face. I can ask them to grind a chuck roast into hamburger and never, ever catch any attitude when I do so. Food Lion and Giant, do not have that personal touch that I enjoy, shopping at my local grocery store. As far as the exercising goes....well lets just say, its easy to be rude when hiding behind a keyboard and computer screen.

mitzi

You can't even compare any grocery store in So Md to that place in Ridge. If the former owner ran a grocery store the way he manages the apartment buildings he owns, everything must be spoiled and outdated.

glhs837

Power with Control
You can't even compare any grocery store in So Md to that place in Ridge. If the former owner ran a grocery store the way he manages the apartment buildings he owns, everything must be spoiled and outdated.

Could be, I've been in there twice, and both times to food section literally scared me. And I've eaten some scary #### over the years.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sure going to a Foodlion or a Giant in Bethesda is right up there with spending a day at the Red Door Salons.

See, if someone offered me a choice between an afternoon at Wegmans or Whole Foods and an afternoon at a beauty spa, I'd pick the grocery store. Folks think nothing of driving into DC to the KenCen or National Harbor - why not a terrific grocery store?