Harris Teeter

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
in the old Rosenblatts grocery store on Kenilworth Avenue in what used to be called RIVERDALE you could grind your own sausage....of course some old drunk bastard minced his ring finger trying to grab his wedding band......some of that is made up...LOL

Damn. Never thought I'd ever see a reference to Riverdale on SOMD.

GregV814

well, there you go.....They now fly the Mexican Flag and its known as La Mexicana...or something...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
in the old Rosenblatts grocery store on Kenilworth Avenue in what used to be called RIVERDALE you could grind your own sausage....of course some old drunk bastard minced his ring finger trying to grab his wedding band......some of that is made up...LOL

That is just absurd absurdity.

Grumpy

Where was that?? I guess I am not as familiar with that area as I thought I was. Went thru there all the time back in the day. Was it in the shopping center with the Alamo?

Catman2

Sam's Club took their grinders out of the coffee section and put it past the cashier. Dummies would grind a pound or two and just leave them.

GregV814

Yes. There was stokes barbershop, a penn jersey , a liquor store, I’m talking late ‘50’s early 60’s. Across kenilworth was Scott Gas...it’s the strip north of the Alamo.

Chris0nllyn

I'm not one to give two ####s about the coffee I drink. Is there really a difference in all the different beans/ground out there?

TCROW

I'm not one to give two ####s about the coffee I drink. Is there really a difference in all the different beans/ground out there?

Very much so, to my tastes anyway.

But more important than the variety of beans is the brew method. Primarily pour over for me, with water just off the boil - about 200F. Also I only buy whole bean and grind myself.

Auto drip typically over extracts and makes the coffee bitter (think Starbucks). Percolators make nice coffee but the cleanup is tedious. Moka pots are nice too, I use one on occasion.

And never store any coffee in the fridge or freezer, which is what my mother always did. Condensation will form on the beans and leach out flavor compounds.

Chris0nllyn

But more important than the variety of beans is the brew method. Primarily pour over for me, with water just off the boil - about 200F. Also I only buy whole bean and grind myself.

Auto drip typically over extracts and makes the coffee bitter (think Starbucks). Percolators make nice coffee but the cleanup is tedious. Moka pots are nice too, I use one on occasion.

And never store any coffee in the fridge or freezer, which is what my mother always did. Condensation will form on the beans and leach out flavor compounds.

You drink it black? I always just thought I can make my coffee taste however I wanted with creamer and sugar.

TCROW

You drink it black? I always just thought I can make my coffee taste however I wanted with creamer and sugar.

Just black coffee for me. The only exception I make is if I’m out and get a cappuccino someplace I’ll add a touch of sugar. But that’s rare.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Over extraction is what you get when you use less coffee than required. Think, "I don't want my coffee that strong, so I use less".
It has nothing to do with the method. Percolators are probably the worst since they recycle the water over and over the grounds until you pull it off the fire - talk about over extraction.
The flavor and color come from two things, the type of bean and the roast. Darker the roast, the more the sugars are brought out - carmelization, and caffenie is removed.
Both where the bean is from (type) and quality are very important to the flavor profile.
Next up, the water. All the crap in the water is going into your cup of coffee, the filter is not fine enough to remove chemials that might spoil the tastes (think well water)
French press is a great way to make coffee, but use the proper grind. The finer the grind, the more surface area which means more flavor from your bean, but the fine grind is gong to escape the filter press in the french press.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I care very much about the coffee I drink, drink it black and unsullied, and also have a manual pourover coffeemaker. Different blends have different qualities, and I can bore you plenty with details. :lol:

I drink flavored coffees that have a hint of cinnamon or maple or pecan or whatever. They're not sweet, just a whisper of whatever it was flavored with in the roasting process.

BernieP

Resident PIA

which is why people get fat amd gas station coffee is so popular. All that corn sweetner, sugar and such in the "creamer" is not good for you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Neither is all the beer I drink.

:lol:

Monello isn't a coffee drinker either. He drinks hot tea and just admires the aroma of my coffee. I, on the other hand, can't think of a day in the last 40 years or so where I haven't had at least one cup of coffee.

TCROW

:lol:

Monello isn't a coffee drinker either. He drinks hot tea and just admires the aroma of my coffee. I, on the other hand, can't think of a day in the last 40 years or so where I haven't had at least one cup of coffee.

Isn’t that weird? My wife LOVES the smell of coffee but abhors drinking it. I’ve never been able to wrap my head around that.

TCROW

Over extraction is what you get when you use less coffee than required. Think, "I don't want my coffee that strong, so I use less".
It has nothing to do with the method. Percolators are probably the worst since they recycle the water over and over the grounds until you pull it off the fire - talk about over extraction.
The flavor and color come from two things, the type of bean and the roast. Darker the roast, the more the sugars are brought out - carmelization, and caffenie is removed.
Both where the bean is from (type) and quality are very important to the flavor profile.
Next up, the water. All the crap in the water is going into your cup of coffee, the filter is not fine enough to remove chemials that might spoil the tastes (think well water)
French press is a great way to make coffee, but use the proper grind. The finer the grind, the more surface area which means more flavor from your bean, but the fine grind is gong to escape the filter press in the french press.

Fantastic info — thank you! You don’t know what you don’t know. And now I know.