Harris Teeter

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I have to admit to finding Harris Teeter favorable, even if their prices seem to be a bit :yikes: for many common items.

I found an actual jar of Rotkohl on the shelf. ( sweet and sour Red Cabbage and Apples)

Wouldnt' have expected that down here.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
They carry things I can't find anywhere else, like Silver Floss sauerkraut. Don't care much for the fruits and veggies tho.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I have to admit to finding Harris Teeter favorable, even if their prices seem to be a bit :yikes: for many common items.

I found an actual jar of Rotkohl on the shelf. ( sweet and sour Red Cabbage and Apples)

Wouldnt' have expected that down here.
That will go very nicely with your sauerbraten.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
They carry things I can't find anywhere else, like Silver Floss sauerkraut. Don't care much for the fruits and veggies tho.
I've heard Mommy Dearest mention Silver Floss as being one of her preferred brands. I may have to make my maiden voyage into HT and grab her a bag. To me, rotten cabbage is rotten cabbage. :sshrug:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I've heard Mommy Dearest mention Silver Floss as being one of her preferred brands. I may have to make my maiden voyage into HT and grab her a bag. To me, rotten cabbage is rotten cabbage. :sshrug:
Fermented

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I may have to make my maiden voyage into HT and grab her a bag.
Canned, in the canned veggies section. Once in a blue moon you can find it in a bag in one of the cooler display cases. And by cooler, I mean cold, not neat and edgy and lit up with blue LEDs.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Canned, in the canned veggies section. Once in a blue moon you can find it in a bag in one of the cooler display cases. And by cooler, I mean cold, not neat and edgy and lit up with blue LEDs.
I buy Sauerkraut in a bag only.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I buy Sauerkraut in a bag only.
I can't use a bag's worth, it goes bad in the fridge before I get back to it. I tried freezing it once. Works, but cumbersome. The little 8 oz cans are just about right.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I can't use a bag's worth, it goes bad in the fridge before I get back to it. I tried freezing it once. Works, but cumbersome. The little 8 oz cans are just about right.
Since it's already "fermented" won't it keep forever? I would take out what I needed and refrigerate any leftovers in a freezer bag in the crisper.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Making your own sauerkraut is really not that hard.
Mr. B., who worked at McKay's in Hollywood, told me he made his in a plastic trash can. His ingredients where cabbage and salt. He would core the cabbage, fill the hole with salt, and place the cabbages core side up in the can. I can't remember if he added water or relied on the moisture in the cabbages for liquid.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Mr. B., who worked at McKay's in Hollywood, told me he made his in a plastic trash can. His ingredients where cabbage and salt. He would core the cabbage, fill the hole with salt, and place the cabbages core side up in the can. I can't remember if he added water or relied on the moisture in the cabbages for liquid.
No water necessary. The added salt draws out any water needed. At what point did he shred the cabbage?