Harvick Retaliation...

Retaliation...will it happen? When?

• He'll show up to the 500 wearing LARGE dark sunglasses to hide the black eye.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He'll get spun before the race really gets started.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Short_Cake

crabcake said:
who says he trying to be his dad? :shrug: I've seen & read a lot of interviews with Jr, and not once did he ever say he was trying to take the place of his father; he's simply out there with the other 42 knuckleheads on the track trying to win races, and doing a mighty good job of it, I might add. Shame cRusty "Give Me A Pension Check, Nascar" Wallace can't say the same. :ohwell:

I don't believe I said he was trying to be his dad, only that he will never be him, (meaning he will never be as good as Dale Sr.) and Rusty has had his good years, if he wants to draw a pesion check now, then so be it!!! At least he knows when its time to quit.
Next time don't be so defensive, I wasn't saying anything bad about jr. the comment was directed more at Harvick.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Short_Cake said:
I don't believe I said he was trying to be his dad, only that he will never be him, (meaning he will never be as good as Dale Sr.) and Rusty has had his good years, if he wants to draw a pesion check now, then so be it!!! At least he knows when its time to quit.
Next time don't be so defensive, I wasn't saying anything bad about jr. the comment was directed more at Harvick.
I wasn't being defensive; just addressing your post how it came across. :shrug:

As for Rusty, for crying out loud ... the guy has how many jets? will reap how many millions of his "last call" merchandise? gets how many millions a year from sponsorship deals? and will receive a paycheck on his Busch team and whatever other teams he fields in the future?

To give this guy any sort of pension to offset his apparently meager lifestyle will drive ticket prices for the average fan up so high he'll be the only one sitting at the track on race day. :ohwell:

And you're right ... Jr will never be his dad; I think he'll be surpass his achievements. :yay:

Pete

Repete
I watched CMT yesterday for a while and they had a show "The 40 greatest moments in NASCAR" It was a pretty decent show, of course Earnhardt had about 15 of the 40 greatest moments since he dominated for so long. Funny thing that I noticed is that he did routinely just what Steward, Harvick and a few others do on occasion. Earnhardt taking out Waltrip to win, Earnhardt taking out Wallace to win, Earnhardt taking out Terry Labonte to win, Earnhardt taking out Bill Elliot to win. Of course after those instances they were mad and Earnhardt shrugged it off and said it was racing.

It baffles me how now in the new age of NASCAR so many hearald what Earnhardt did and his aggressive "I am here to win" style yet cast stones at those who do the same thing. Except for Junior Johnson I never heard anyone call Earnhardt a menace or dirty or call for suspension.

Sure if your favorite was taken out in such a manner it is human nature to be pissed, but at a track like Daytona where everyone is going 195MPH within feet of each other a slip up will take out not just the 2 parties bumping, thats part of the game.

Aggressive style aside there have been several drivers who have really been a manace and unsafe, Geoffrey and Todd Bodine come immediatly to mind as does Earnie Ervin. Those guys were just reckless and a real danger. They have also felt the repercussions of their recklessness. Geoffrey exited the sport only to beg rides for years for scratch together deals only to almost kill himself in the truck series. Ervin also ended his career when his speed exceeded his tallent one time too many and he almost ended his life in Michigan. Todd Bodine was basically blackballed a few years ago and was sent back to the trucks and now cannot get a deccent ride.

As long as you win or come close to winning and do not pull a Jimmy Spencer, (extra curricular activity in the pits which is why Harvick is the only driver to be suspended, not on track activity) people will still be pissed when their favorite gets crashed out.

crabcake

Spencer was dropped by his team at the end of last season for his extra-curricular activity (specifically, assaulting a cop who tried to serve a warrant on his son), and he WAS suspended (if you recall) for a week removing him the truck AND cup races at Bristol, I believe, after he clocked Skurt Busch two seasons ago for not only taking him out, but blabbing about it on the radio before hand.

I don't have a problem with guys bumping and banging on the track -- that's racing ... but you have to apply some smarts about it ... from what I understand, Harvick was 'bump drafting' in the turn -- something you don't do at a track like Daytona where you're going 190+ mph.

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
Spencer was dropped by his team at the end of last season for his extra-curricular activity (specifically, assaulting a cop who tried to serve a warrant on his son), and he WAS suspended (if you recall) for a week removing him the truck AND cup races at Bristol, I believe, after he clocked Skurt Busch two seasons ago for not only taking him out, but blabbing about it on the radio before hand.

I don't have a problem with guys bumping and banging on the track -- that's racing ... but you have to apply some smarts about it ... from what I understand, Harvick was 'bump drafting' in the turn -- something you don't do at a track like Daytona where you're going 190+ mph.
He also said JJ slowed slightly. When you are 6 inches away, going 190, the car in front slowing to 189.75 makes a difference.

And you are correct Spencer was also sat down for a race so the article was wrong and Harvick is not the only driver suspended.

Mikeinsmd

Good post Pete. I saw that show on CMT too & was pizzed. That's why I hated Dale Sr. when he was alive. It was ok for HIM to bump & wreck someone but if another driver touched HIS bumper, he was hunting them down after the race to fight them. I wish someone had of layed him on his azz after he got in their face. If you dish it out, you better be able to take it.

Last night on nascar live, Michael Waltrip defended Kevin with some good examples of others bumping like Harvick did. He believes Kevin didn't mean to do it. The difference was JJ's car got loose & took out a lot of the field (including Harvick).

If these instances did'nt happen, it would be just a bunch of cars going in circles..... We need the "Bad Boyz" in nascar to keep us on the edge of our seats. JMO

crabcake

Mikeinsmd said:
If you dish it out, you better be able to take it.
AMEN! :clap:

I'm just glad JJ's crew was able to get his car readied for the race without giving up his front row starting position! :yay: I said when JJ got the #2 starting position he'd probably have some bad luck in the 150s. :ohwell:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Mikeinsmd said:
If these instances did'nt happen, it would be just a bunch of cars going in circles..... We need the "Bad Boyz" in nascar to keep us on the edge of our seats. JMO

:yeahthat:

On Sr, I seem to remember that he was brought to the trailer in the mid/late-80s and TOLD if his overly aggressive driving didn't stop, he would be thrown out of NASCAR. He did tone his act down after that, tho he still gave his love taps to let folks know he was there. I seem to remember him spinning one of the labontes in the last turn of some race in the late 90s to win and then had Mayfield do the same thing to him at Pocono later that same season. He had the same comment for both instances, 'thats racing'.

Pete

Repete
Mikeinsmd said:
Good post Pete. I saw that show on CMT too & was pizzed. That's why I hated Dale Sr. when he was alive. It was ok for HIM to bump & wreck someone but if another driver touched HIS bumper, he was hunting them down after the race to fight them. I wish someone had of layed him on his azz after he got in their face. If you dish it out, you better be able to take it.

Last night on nascar live, Michael Waltrip defended Kevin with some good examples of others bumping like Harvick did. He believes Kevin didn't mean to do it. The difference was JJ's car got loose & took out a lot of the field (including Harvick).

I said the same thing about Earnhardt Sr. once and somebody wanted to punch me. :lmao: