Has Anybody Raised Lavender To A Mature Growth ?

Capt Brady

I'm looking for a little coaching on growing lavender, here in the Lex Pk area.

Specifically which cultivars have been successful ?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I find lavender very easy to grow. I have several varieties at my old house in Lusby that I'm going to transplant to my new house in Leonardtown soon. I'm not sure what the exact cultivars are, but I got them all from Wentworth's, the Greenery, or Homestead Gardens. I'd have to look to see what they are.

They all grow as perennials in this zone and love full sun. They bloom continuously from late spring to very late fall. I prefer the smaller dwarf ones that grow to about a foot tall feet versus the ones that grow to about 3 feet.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I have 3 ... not sure what variation they are ... but they're in full sun 3/4 of the day and have done beautifully. I think I got them at Lowes.

Capt Brady

Thanks for the replies. I've done quite a bit of reading on lavender and I've located about eight different cultivars here in St Mary's, mostly being grown by the Amish. These are all seedlings in three inch pots, and about three to four inches high.

My interest is twofold. First, my daughter spent last summer as an AFS exchange student in France, and she was very impressed with the huge fields of lavender there and the intoxicating aroma.

I would like to grow some here at home, but my log cabin is located within a decidous woods, mostly chesnut oak and I suspect far too acid in the natural soil. I've been looking at building some planter boxes about twelve inches by thirty inches, and ten inches or so, high.

Second is that in my job, I supervise the physical plant, janitorial, maintaince and groundskeeping of one of our rather well known Catholic churches , here in LP.

I'm seriously considering installing a permenent herb garden, on the church grounds, including a large portion of it to lavender, and a few other aromatic plants.

I think my real concerns are getting the ideal location, and starting the herbs off with a proper soil and good drainage. Does lavender require a great deal of maintance? Does it grow quickly ? And are there any pitfalls that I should avoid , Oh yeah, What other aromatic herbs do well here and would compliment lavender ?

Last edited:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Capt Brady
I think my real concerns are getting the ideal location, and starting the herbs off with a proper soil and good drainage. Does lavender require a great deal of maintance? Does it grow quickly ? And are there any pitfalls that I should avoid , Oh yeah, What other aromatic herbs do well here and would compliment lavender ?

mine have almost tripled in size since I planted them a year ago and they were just in the 1-gal pot when I bought 'em. Honestly, I haven't done squat to 'em except stick them in the ground and put mulch around them so I'd say they are relatively low-maintenance, which is why I chose them. I tried to plant stuff that required minimal watering since I'm not the greatest at remembering that. :blushing: