Has anyone actually run off the bridge in a car?

glhs837

Power with Control
In a local FB post, some joker said he wished the barriers and fencing were higher. When I asked, since nobody since I got here in 93 has managed to jump off that didnt mean to, and those only pedestrians (until the became projectiles) he responded that early on there was no fencing and someone ran their car off the brdige and hit something below. Can any of you lifetimers out there verify or refute that?

ontheriver

In a local FB post, some joker said he wished the barriers and fencing were higher. When I asked, since nobody since I got here in 93 has managed to jump off that didnt mean to, and those only pedestrians (until the became projectiles) he responded that early on there was no fencing and someone ran their car off the brdige and hit something below. Can any of you lifetimers out there verify or refute that?

I've never heard of anyone in a car going over. The fencing was put up to stop idiots from throwing things over onto the homes below.

When the bridge was being built a helo went down and one died, one survived. This was in the 70's, maybe 74 or 75.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Years ago, in another career, I had to return from Baltimore with a very large bucket truck with extra tall tires on it across that bridge. Scared the living hell out of the passenger side occupant. The tires were taller than jersey wall.

ontheriver

That was what I'd heard too. My daughters and ex wife lived directly under the bridge on St. Mary's side and I used to try and score hits on the ex with empty beer....er...wait..what am I saying... :whistle:

I lived close by when the bridge was being built. I knew a lady who lived in a house directly under the bridge. The state owned it.
People would throw stuff over and it landed in her yard.

GregV814

why are there locks on 7-11's if they're open 24/7?

who is the sign on Post Offices that says "Seeing Eye Dogs only" for?

On these new fangled vehicles, what is the 710 thing on the motor?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I can't remember if the fencing was there at to time, but I remember going to a house under the SMC end to pick up something a friend had purchased. The people complained about all the crap that people had tossed over the Jersey wall onto their property.

I grew up in NOVA and certain overpasses started getting fences back then. My father explained that it wasn't to keep the people on the bridge, but to keep them from throwing things off. I remember a local TV news story about someone throwing a cement slab off of one. It went through a lady's windshield. I can't remember if she survived.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah the explanation I heard was for stuff being thrown because let's be honest if you've got enough energy to get your vehicle over that Jersey barrier that chain link ain't gonna slow you down at all

1stGenSMIB

The closest I know to a vehicle over the jersey wall is a truck that broke thru but didn't fall off the bridge. When heading into Calvert County you can check the repair on the south side of the bridge about half way between the light poles at the top and the fencing over the boat ramp. More recently, there have been several large objects that have nearly torn down the fencing on the SMC side, but I don't think anything has gone thru that either. Supposedly they are repairing that type of stuff this week when doing the night bridge work.