Has anyone ever made Guinness beef stew in the crock pot before?

SailorGirl

I've got a couple of recipes off the internet and the broth looks soupy more than like a gravy - is that the way it's supposed to look. And one further question - the recipe says the final product is more a bitter stew than you would normally expect. I don't like Guinness beer at all but I saved what I have left from SPD specifically for this reason. I guess what I'm asking do you like beef stew made with guinness and is the flavor that different from regular stew?

You can always thicken the broth to the thickness you like. A bit of corn starch or Wondra flour... lots of ways to thicken it.

SailorGirl

You can always thicken the broth to the thickness you like. A bit of corn starch or Wondra flour... lots of ways to thicken it.
I'll probably end up doing that - I was just curious if that's the way it's supposed to look and how it tastes with the Guinness. Have you ever made it?

glhs837

Power with Control
And you could select a lighter Guinness. Stews are supposed to be thicker than soups, more like a proper chowder that way.

SailorGirl

And you could select a lighter Guinness. Stews are supposed to be thicker than soups, more like a proper chowder that way.
I have Guinness left over from Saint Patrick's Day that I want to get rid of. Lighter sounds better but I'm not going back out for it tonight. I'll remember that next SPD. Thank you.

NextJen

Raisin cane
PREMO Member
I do a chocolate Guinness cake with cream cheese type frosting that is fantastic. You could Google it or I could find the link and send it to you.

I just made a big pot of chili this past weekend. I drained the juice out of the canned beans and tomatoes I put in and added a bottle of Yuengling Porter. Man, that was some good chili. I've done the same thing before but used Stout instead of a Porter. If it is too soupy or juicy, you can always take the lid off and let it cook for awhile to let some of the excess juice evaporate and cook out.

SailorGirl

Chocolate, cream cheese, Guinness. One of those words just doesn't seem like it belongs. Beer in chili I can see. Are you using the Stout version - it's so bitter - I got an aftertaste that just disgusting when I had one. Is that characteristic of a stout beer maybe?

NextJen

Raisin cane
PREMO Member
Chocolate, cream cheese, Guinness. One of those words just doesn't seem like it belongs. Beer in chili I can see. Are you using the Stout version - it's so bitter - I got an aftertaste that just disgusting when I had one. Is that characteristic of a stout beer maybe?
You'll have to trust me on the cake. It comes out moist and delicious, not sweet, but not bitter either - just rich and chocolaty. It calls for Guinness, make sure not to get the Guinness that says 'Extra Stout', that may be a little too heavy and bitter.

This past pot of chili I used a Porter. Porters aren't bitter like a Stout.

stgislander

PREMO Member
You'll have to trust me on the cake. It comes out moist and delicious, not sweet, but not bitter either - just rich and chocolaty. It calls for Guinness, make sure not to get the Guinness that says 'Extra Stout', that may be a little too heavy and bitter.

This past pot of chili I used a Porter. Porters aren't bitter like a Stout.
Hey... I'm trying to get some Guinness outta this!

limblips

PREMO Member
Tomato juice in stew! It really helps breakdown the toughness of stew meat and gives a nice little acidic tang to the broth. I use 12 oz in a 6 qt slow cooker full of stew.