Has anyone here agreed to stay married until the kids left home?

Spinach

and if so how did it work? Would you do it again?

My husband dropped the D-bomb last Saturday...my youngest son is 16.

glhs837

Power with Control
Buddy of mine, he and his wife have stayed (for two years now) mostly because they are upside down on the house and can't sell it. Not been a good place to be, for him, her, or the kids.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Seems like this would be a very subjective question. If you don't fight and are still on friendly terms, and both feel you could be ok with seeing other people (and involving them in the children's life), then I see no reason why you couldn't be decent roomies.

If you get in knock-down drag out fights every Saturday night, maybe not.

^This^

If the situation is hostile, separating would probably be best for the kids. But I actually knew a couple who didn't want to be married anymore, but they stayed living together even while dating other people and bringing other relationships into the mix. Kids were fine, well-adjusted, and not any more messed up than any other kid. It was a weird situation, but it worked for everyone involved, so :shrug:

and if so how did it work? Would you do it again?

My husband dropped the D-bomb last Saturday...my youngest son is 16.

Kids aren't stupid. Explain the situation. Kick him out (since HE asked for the divorce). Get divorced. Move on. Be good ex-spouses, don't bad mouth, cooperate on stuff for the kids, etc.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
First off, I'm sorry. Divorce sucks for everyone involved. Good luck! :huggy:

Kids aren't stupid. Explain the situation. Kick him out (since HE asked for the divorce). Get divorced. Move on. Be good ex-spouses, don't bad mouth, cooperate on stuff for the kids, etc.

:yeahthat: I'd think that would create more confusion for children about what a marriage is supposed to be like, or how we are supposed to move on when things don't work out. If it's for financial reasons, get a (different) roommate so you won't risk having 'hallway sex' with your S2BEx in front of your child.

WARNING - UNSOLICITED ADVICE: please remember that regardless of the reasons for the divorce and who asked for it/is at fault/etc - spouses CHOSE each other; kids do NOT get to choose their parents. So, if your spouse is a third-rate POS slime-bag, no good cheatin', lyin' azzhole, just remember that you picked him/her at one point ... meaning, don't dump your emotions and feelings of regret about your 'choice' onto your kid regardless of how old he/she is. That's still their parent, and they still need a healthy relationship with that parent, too. It's one thing to explain the basics and talk about how things might change, but this is not the time to treat your child as your 'friend' and vent.

And no, I'm not speaking from personal experience here; rather, from others' experiences I've sadly witnessed. I hate when adults resort to behaving like children when marriages go south like putting crap on FB and trying to get people to take sides, etc. I have one old acquaintance putting a play by play on FB of how he's setting up his ex to catch her not being fair in his visitation, how she's running around, etc. I feel so bad for their young daughter. :ohwell:

catlingirl

Me and h are in this situation right now. But he's living up the road with his girlfriend. I don't have the money for a divorce right now. He's still paying the mortgage etc and gives us money every month for child support. We still have another 5 years to go before my youngest is outta high school. It works out well for us imo because I was constantly on eggshells around him and now everybody's happy including the kids.

CRHS89

As an adult child of divorce I can say life was better for all of us when my dad moved out. Living in a house full of hate and tension is very unhealthy. I can also say that one parent downing the other is hurtful and awkward no matter your age or even when you are an adult. I get that they are not good together but I wish the childish and just plain mean remarks about the other parent to me would stop.

black dog

Free America
As an adult child of divorce I can say life was better for all of us when my dad moved out. Living in a house full of hate and tension is very unhealthy. I can also say that one parent downing the other is hurtful and awkward no matter your age or even when you are an adult. I get that they are not good together but I wish the childish and just plain mean remarks about the other parent to me would stop.

Yep...remember, its much better to come from a broken home than to life in one.
At 16 your child is well aware of what's going on. Go for the divorce.
Also,, before you both decide to split the holdings, FIRST decide what is going to happen with the kids still at home. That's the most important topic of the divorce. Who is the primary parent that the child will stay with for the bulk of the time. Let the kids know wtf is going on with the divorce.. They deserve to know exactly what's going on at that age..
And if he truly wants a divorce, you file first.. Play nice, play fair.. Until there is a reason not to..
Go and take half of your cash assets and open a account in your name. If you work change your DD to your new account.

Last edited:

BlueBird

I know married couples who sort of made it work, you know for the sake of the kids....

Problem is kids deserve to be happy and they know when Mom and Dad aren't happy and it affects their happiness. Not fair to the kids. Go through with the divorce if the marriage isn't salvageable as others have mentioned and be good parents to your children while living under separate roofs. They'll thank you for it later. Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about your marriage possibly ending. Maybe a good counselor can help with things if there is still some love left.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If you stay together for the kids only to wait until they're gone, why wouldn't you just keep staying together for the kids? Presumably the stay together argument is because it is better for them. Where does it follow that it is no longer good for them after they move on? Holidays, birthdays, vacationing, are they never coming back?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Me and h are in this situation right now. But he's living up the road with his girlfriend. I don't have the money for a divorce right now. He's still paying the mortgage etc and gives us money every month for child support. We still have another 5 years to go before my youngest is outta high school. It works out well for us imo because I was constantly on eggshells around him and now everybody's happy including the kids.

If your situation is amicable, you can DIY. In St. Mary's the filing fee is (I think) $130 or something like that. You draw up your agreement, get it notarized for a few bucks, then file the papers at the courthouse for legal divorce.

But that's just a PSA; if it's working out fine the way it is, no reason to change it.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
If your situation is amicable, you can DIY. In St. Mary's the filing fee is (I think) $130 or something like that. You draw up your agreement, get it notarized for a few bucks, then file the papers at the courthouse for legal divorce.

Hmmmm...

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
We married in 1979. In 1993 we agreed to stay together for the kids. In 2012, long after the kids had "moved on," we divorced amicably, going the cheap route (I paid for her attorney). In 2016, I'm back, as her Home Health Care Aide.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We married in 1979. In 1993 we agreed to stay together for the kids. In 2012, long after the kids had "moved on," we divorced amicably, going the cheap route (I paid for her attorney). In 2016, I'm back, as her Home Health Care Aide.

:twitch: Is it for the money? From the things you post on these forums, I'd be afraid if I were her.

littlelady

God bless the USA
:twitch: Is it for the money? From the things you post on these forums, I'd be afraid if I were her.

That is not very nice of you to say. I think it is a loving gesture that Railroad would do that for her. He left his new life in TX to come back to help her. When a marriage ends, it does not mean the feelings end. His x-wife is very sick, and he does not have to burden himself with that, but he chose to. Do you know Railroad IRL? Just wondering. And, you talk about your disabled son all the time on here, and you would do anything for him, and I am sure you would. Don't you think Railroad feels the same? Just wondering. Love goes along way and, sometimes, conquers all. And, as far as this forum, members jib and jab at each other all the time. Railroads references to Dr. Lechter are a joke. Brains and fava beans and all. Lighten up! :smile:

You don't know how many times I have had to bite my keyboard, and not reply to some of the stuff you post on this forum. :bann:

Last edited:

BlueBird

That is not very nice of you to say. I think it is a loving gesture that Railroad would do that for her. He left his new life in TX to come back to help her. When a marriage ends, it does not mean the feelings end. His x-wife is very sick, and he does not have to burden himself with that, but he chose to. Do you know Railroad IRL? Just wondering. And, you talk about your disabled son all the time on here, and you would do anything for him, and I am sure you would. Don't you think Railroad feels the same? Just wondering. Love goes along way and, sometimes, conquers all. And, as far as this forum, members jib and jab at each other all the time. Railroads references to Dr. Lechter are a joke. Brains and fava beans and all. Lighten up! :smile:

You don't know how many times I have had to bite my keyboard, and not reply to some of the stuff you post on this forum. :bann:

Good post. Love isn't always strong enough for a marriage to last. Good marriages take more than just love to survive. I'm sure he still loves his wife as true love never dies even if it means two lovers can't be together.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Why should I care how many times you bite your tongue or sit on your hands because of my posts? It's a public forum and you have posted all kinds of things I never replied to. Who cares?

Maybe RR's intentions in taking care of the Ex are sincere, who knows. He has said things in the past on the forums concerning women and such, which are a bit suspect to me. Which also leads me to think his "Silence of the Lambs" schtick is (not only old) frankly, a bit creepy. Yeah - I met him IRL one time on a M & G and he used the line then. :rolleyes: I decided to engage in conversation elsewhere.

All of which have nothing to do with my son and his disability nor my caretaking of him, for that matter.