Have a look at this

A Christian Is....

• A completely perfect person who obeys all the 10 commandments all the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A holier than thou Bible thumper who sins but expects you to miss it

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A purely alien presence in your life

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A sinner who is forgiven and is going to glory (with or without you)

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

UNA

Wirelessly posted

PsyOps said:
Been there, done that. Then logic set it :lol: I refuse to put my life and soul into the hands of a 'deity' who refuses to make himself known. Who requires my undying faith BEFORE I'm allowed to understand what/who it is that I'm putting my faith in. That just doesn't make any sense! :shrug: The understanding that I CAN gain of your deity is from te book you claim he wrote...

Can’t you try to understand things in the context of this how God created His nature?

Aren’t you born into this world completely naked, with no knowledge, with no user’s manual? You have to grow and learn, then go out, on your own and figure things out. Why do you expect God to feed you everything with a silver spoon when that’s just not how life is? And God is saying "It makes no sense that I gave you an intelligent mind to just hand you all the information without having to work for it".

I tried for a long time to understand the world through the context of God (Christianity) but it didn't work is so many ways! I remember as a child asking my mother and/or priest questions they couldn't answer WRT the Bible.

What you say makes sense. The difference is, however, that I can walk outside right now and try to understand my world through my senses! I can see how the trees grow, I can look at thinks and learn about them.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I tried for a long time to understand the world through the context of God (Christianity) but it didn't work is so many ways! I remember as a child asking my mother and/or priest questions they couldn't answer WRT the Bible.

What you say makes sense. The difference is, however, that I can walk outside right now and try to understand my world through my senses! I can see how the trees grow, I can look at thinks and learn about them.

But not one bit of that learning truly tells you why.

UNA

Wirelessly posted

PsyOps said:
UNA said:

But not one bit of that learning truly tells you why.

Science has some "why's"...we're still looking for more. :smile:

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

My point is, even though we may have figured out the physics of why mass has gravity, you can still be left with the question ‘why’. All the math in the world doesn’t answer why mass actually pulls objects toward it. We know when you heat water to 212 F it becomes vapor; you can produce all the math showing how the molecules change at that temperature; but it doesn’t explain why it actually happens. Why 212? Why not 400 or 198?

Every time science come up with an explanation about something, I can always ask “But why does it actually do that?”

StoneThrower

Wirelessly posted

A Chriatian is...

"one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ"

(Webster's)

Thats incorerect and I doubt that was the way Noah Webster defined it.
That definition would include Mormons, Seventh Day Adventist, Jw's.
None of which are Christian!

StoneThrower

Wirelessly posted

Been there, done that. Then logic set it :lol: I refuse to put my life and soul into the hands of a 'deity' who refuses to make himself known. Who requires my undying faith BEFORE I'm allowed to understand what/who it is that I'm putting my faith in. That just doesn't make any sense! :shrug: The understanding that I CAN gain of your deity is from te book you claim he wrote...

He has made him self known through creation and through his word.
Lon Solomon man ask God that if he was real to convince him, you should listen to his story Lon Solomon's Testimony . [url=http://mcleanbible.wordpress.co008/09/30/lons]

Last edited:

UNA

Wirelessly posted

PsyOps said:

My point is, even though we may have figured out the physics of why mass has gravity, you can still be left with the question ‘why’. All the math in the world doesn’t answer why mass actually pulls objects toward it. We know when you heat water to 212 F it becomes vapor; you can produce all the math showing how the molecules change at that temperature; but it doesn’t explain why it actually happens. Why 212? Why not 400 or 198?

Every time science come up with an explanation about something, I can always ask “But why does it actually do that?”

There actually are some why answers to your water question but I'll be honest and say I don't remember. :lol: There is a thin line between why and how.

I'll say before we go much farther that I personally don't believe there are why's, only hows's. BUT, for the sake of a fun discussion, who's to say that once science figures out all the what's and how's; they don't starts seeing and understanding the why's?

This is why I say that I'm an agnostic rather than an atheist; I know I cannot prove there is no God to anyone but myself AND I know I can't prove there is a God to anyone but myself.

Maybe there are why's, maybe it's *a* god, maybe it's your God...no one reeeaaally knows! If we did, this would be a pretty boring forum! :lol:

Starman3000m

Wirelessly posted...
Maybe there are why's, maybe it's *a* god, maybe it's your God...no one reeeaaally knows! If we did, this would be a pretty boring forum! :lol:

According to the Holy Bible, God has literally made His existence known to mankind throughout history and in many ways including in the personal life, ministry and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's just that most people don't want to believe Him.

UNA

Wirelessly posted

StoneThrower said:
Wirelessly posted

A Chriatian is...

"one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ"

(Webster's)

Thats incorerect and I doubt that was the way Noah Webster defined it.
That definition would include Mormons, Seventh Day Adventist, Jw's.
None of which are Christian!

Do they call themselves Christian?

Do the believe in God the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried? Do they believe He descended into hell and that on the third day he rose again then  ascended into heaven? Do they believe He is seated on the right hand of the Father and that he will come gain to judge the living and the dead. Do they believe in the Holy Ghost, the holy catholic church, the Communion of Saints, the Forgiveness of sins, the Resurrection of the body, and the Life everlasting?

Seriously; do they?

UNA

Wirelessly posted

StoneThrower said:
UNA said:

He has made him self known through creation and through his word.
Lon Solomon man ask God that if he was real to convince him, you should listen to his story Lon Solomon's Testimony . [url=http://mcleanbible.wordpress.co008/09/30/lons]

Maybe I should. And I'll also say that if the Christian God is indeed the one true God then He should come show me. Since its so important!

Edit: I didn't see your link...I'm heading to it now :smile:

Last edited:

UNA

Wirelessly posted

Starman3000m said:
Wirelessly posted...

According to the Holy Bible, God has literally made His existence known to mankind throughout history and in many ways including in the personal life, ministry and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's just that most people don't want to believe Him.

Like I said, He should come show me, then I'll believe. Is that so much to ask for? Isn't he all powerful? All knowing? All compassionate? (don't really know how a God can be those three things and our world still be the way it is but whatever! :lol: )

Starman3000m

Wirelessly posted

Like I said, He should come show me, then I'll believe. Is that so much to ask for? Isn't he all powerful? All knowing? All compassionate? (don't really know how a God can be those three things and our world still be the way it is but whatever! :lol: )

Find a quiet moment to reflect on life and all the questions you have and then ask God. He is approachable. Personally invite The New Testament Jesus to open your spiritual awareness of His existence and to help you understand that the world is the way it is because mankind will not follow the basic rule of loving one another and loving Him as He suggests. If God is truly our Creator, as the Bible states, He knows you personally and will know when you are sincere. Your answer may not appear with bolts of thunder and a flash of lightning but it will come according to His Will and then you will know within your spirit what is Truth.

UNA

Wirelessly posted

Starman3000m said:
Wirelessly posted

Find a quiet moment to reflect on life and all the questions you have and then ask God. He is approachable. Personally invite The New Testament Jesus to open your spiritual awareness of His existence and to help you understand that the world is the way it is because mankind will not follow the basic rule of loving one another and loving Him as He suggests. If God is truly our Creator, as the Bible states, He knows you personally and will know when you are sincere. Your answer may not appear with bolts of thunder and a flash of lightning but it will come according to His Will and then you will know within your spirit what is Truth.

...and the day that happens I will indeed become a true believer. This would be the evidence; the proof that's currently lacking. I'm ready when he is but until then, I'm a non-believer :shrug: