Have you ever caught a skate?

Chimborazo

I've never caught one before, and was wondering if anyone here has. I've caught plenty of cownose rays, but never a skate. By the way, why do so many people think the cownose ray is a skate?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I've never caught one before, and was wondering if anyone here has. I've caught plenty of cownose rays, but never a skate. By the way, why do so many people think the cownose ray is a skate?

As far as I know everyone around here that refers to "skate" are referring to a cow nose ray.

Yes, I know there is a difference but it is probably just do to the fact it is easier to say, or it was misidentified along time ago and the name "stuck"

I caught a few when I lived in NY, on Long Island. And they were skates, not rays. Usually got them on a flounder rig. Good battle trying to land them, broke a pole once.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I've caught several. My son landed a juvenile clear nosed ray (14"d) with his Spongebob fishing rod.

UncleBacon

I've caught a handful when I was growing up in Jersey...as for the name thing Md is also the only place that I've been that call stripe bass....rock fish...they are 2 completely different species of fish

I've caught a handful when I was growing up in Jersey...as for the name thing Md is also the only place that I've been that call stripe bass....rock fish...they are 2 completely different species of fish

It's "striped bass", and they are the same, as are Tautogs and Blackfish.

Striped bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The striped bass (Morone saxatilis, also called rock or rockfish) is the state fish of Maryland, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and the state Saltwater (marine) fish of New York.

Last edited:

Nanny Pam

I've caught skates, too. Nice fight, .... big disappointment.

I've even cleaned a few, which isn't easy....because I wanted to try the wing meat. It was good.

In Oregon they have about 6 different types of rock basses they lump under the name rockfish.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Isn't what they call Bay Scallops really just circles of skate wing? That's what I've heard, anyway. Still tastes good...

No, two different things, I've heard of some places trying to pass skate off as scallops but I have no first hand knowledge.

Isn't what they call Bay Scallops really just circles of skate wing? That's what I've heard, anyway. Still tastes good...

I don't think so. The ray wings I tried would not be mistaken for scallops. Also the muscle fibers are layed out differently. In a scallop you can tell they are meant to close a shell. They run verticle to the edge of the circle.

I don't think so. The ray wings I tried would not be mistaken for scallops. Also the muscle fibers are layed out differently. In a scallop you can tell they are meant to close a shell. They run verticle to the edge of the circle.

I was always led to believe that certain fish (skate wings) were substituted for sea scallops, but I just did a search and could not confirm that. Found this: www.bbqforums.net - Brief Comment: Punching skate wings for scallops by The Seafood Advisor which justifies your muscle fiber/direction.

frogman123

I've caught two in the river/bay... One was on a boat, the other off the rocks at piney point (or is that tall timbers?) the place down towards st georges island. The one on the rocks "carried" us all the way to the beach and we pulled it about 2 feet from shore (the top of it was completely out of the water) it made one last struggle and broke the line.. soooo disappointing- they fight pretty hard and it took ~30min (we were on land geared with rods to catch perch/flounder)

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I caught a skate once. Poor kid fell down so hard that the silly thing came loose and rolled downhill toward me. I picked it up and carried it over to the kid. The skate key, as I recall, was nowhere to be found and the skate was too loose to begin with (hence the accident).

:biggrin: