Having COVID doesn’t guarantee immunity, study of Marine recruits finds

somdadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Say what now? Does this also mean that vaccines won't guarantee immunity? This article argues that this is why you should get the vaccine before you get COVID.

Have you had COVID? Think you’re immune from it in the future? Think again, according to the results of a new study of Marine Corps recruits.

Ten percent of the recruits whose blood tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies before training were re-infected with COVID while in basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina.

More reading:

Last edited:

rmorse

Say what now? Does this also mean that vaccines won't guarantee immunity? This article argues that this is why you should get the vaccine before you get COVID.
I was talking to my uncle (Johns Hopkins dr) about this kinda thing and my confusion about the difference in antibodies from Covid versus the vaccine, since I recovered from Covid. He told me that there is no need for me to get the vaccine for 9 months after I recover and it can, in fact, make it way worse. This is because my body would freak out when the vaccine hits because it has seen this infection before and it would go HAM at it. I then asked what the advantage of getting the vaccine is versus just getting the illness and recovering.

He said that it’s a brand new type of vaccine. Most vaccines make your body produce an amount of antibodies that are almost equivalent to what are produced when you fall ill. For the Covid vaccines, however, your body is producing 100X the amount of antibodies.

THAT is the difference - the amount of antibodies produced. In both cases, we most likely will have to have the vaccine every year and it’ll turn into one of those things you just do (like the flu vaccine). However, he also said that we don’t really know for sure how long the antibodies last. He also said there’s no difference besides quantity of antibodies for my body versus someone who is vaccinated.

black dog

Free America
At 29 Palms a few months ago all Marines were given the choice of getting or not getting the vaccine.
Almost no one was in line on vaccine day, over the next few days all battalions were told if they chose not to get the shot in may impact promotions and deployments in their future.
I know my son got his.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
At 29 Palms a few months ago all Marines were given the choice of getting or not getting the vaccine.
Almost no one was in line on vaccine day, over the next few days all battalions were told if they chose not to get the shot in may impact promotions and deployments in their future.
I know my son got his.
That sounds like blackmail.

SamSpade

That sounds like blackmail.
You know what gets me most about this - ALL LAST FALL - all we heard from the likes of Kamala and Joe was their reluctance to have ANYTHING to do with a vaccine produced by a program pushed into being by Trump. In the debate - she was blunt. She would not take it. During the campaign, that was a major talking point - NOT taking any vaccine RUSHED to completion by Trump who just wants any old vaccine to have as a trophy.

Nope. Won't take the Trump vaccine. The NYT has Joe saying Trump is just playing politics - he won't have it.

After the election - yup. Took it the second day it was available. Along with Joe. By the time they took office, 35 million doses had been distributed.

NEW narrative - Trump left us with no plan! What a mess! This was shown of course, to be bullchit - not only was there a plan, there was more than several times enough vaccine to vaccinate every person in the country - several times. Sorry - it was working.

NEW narrative - wow. It works! Thank the Lord!

And Joe Biden. Yup. He brought you the vaccine. You know, the one that all summer long was going to take YEARS. MOCKED by experts.

And ---

Surprise - people are reluctant to take it. After almost a YEAR of mocking his entire effort to produce a vaccine - after months of saying it was just politics and Trump was pressuring companies to release vaccines before adepquate testing - after EVERYTHING they did to warn the public DON"T TAKE HIS VACCINE -

People are hesitant - what - a - surprise.

So now the Dems are doing the ONE THING sure to make anyone not a die-hard leftie distrust the vaccine - -

They're getting Hollywood and the Obamas to hold a TV special telling us to get it.

THIS underscores the biggest difference between the left and the right - the right - most of the time - just wants to be left alone. If you don't want to do something, that's your business. The left - EVERYTHING is their business. You don't want to do something - they'll URGE you - pressure you - embarass you - and failing that - they will MAKE you.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You know what gets me most about this - ALL LAST FALL - all we heard from the likes of Kamala and Joe was their reluctance to have ANYTHING to do with a vaccine produced by a program pushed into being by Trump. In the debate - she was blunt. She would not take it. During the campaign, that was a major talking point - NOT taking any vaccine RUSHED to completion by Trump who just wants any old vaccine to have as a trophy.

Nope. Won't take the Trump vaccine. The NYT has Joe saying Trump is just playing politics - he won't have it.

After the election - yup. Took it the second day it was available. Along with Joe. By the time they took office, 35 million doses had been distributed.

NEW narrative - Trump left us with no plan! What a mess! This was shown of course, to be bullchit - not only was there a plan, there was more than several times enough vaccine to vaccinate every person in the country - several times. Sorry - it was working.

NEW narrative - wow. It works! Thank the Lord!

And Joe Biden. Yup. He brought you the vaccine. You know, the one that all summer long was going to take YEARS. MOCKED by experts.

And ---

Surprise - people are reluctant to take it. After almost a YEAR of mocking his entire effort to produce a vaccine - after months of saying it was just politics and Trump was pressuring companies to release vaccines before adepquate testing - after EVERYTHING they did to warn the public DON"T TAKE HIS VACCINE -

People are hesitant - what - a - surprise.

So now the Dems are doing the ONE THING sure to make anyone not a die-hard leftie distrust the vaccine - -

They're getting Hollywood and the Obamas to hold a TV special telling us to get it.

THIS underscores the biggest difference between the left and the right - the right - most of the time - just wants to be left alone. If you don't want to do something, that's your business. The left - EVERYTHING is their business. You don't want to do something - they'll URGE you - pressure you - embarass you - and failing that - they will MAKE you.
Gaslighting.

SamSpade

Gaslighting.
The whole thing is 1984-ish.
Oceania is, and has always been, at war with Eurasia, and Eastasia is an ally.
Oceania is, and always has been, at war with Eastasia, and that Eurasia is an ally.

We had a campaign where Trump would never produce an effective vaccine - Biden wins - and Biden made the vaccine.
Don't take the vaccine! It's just Trump trying to get votes! It's dangerous!
GET the vaccine - it's patriotic!

I hesitate to say HOW STUPID DO THEY THINK WE ARE - except for the old Mencken canard “No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
PREMO Member
LOL... Welcome to the Marine Corps. They need to be ready to deployed....
I can well sympathize. 7 of my 9 years in the USAF Reserve kept a drag bag in my car as I was on "get here as soon after this phone call as possible" recall status. I was USAF's equivalent of the SeeBees.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
There are so many unanswered questions with the vaccine and since I'm retired, have only 1 functioning kidney and the one I have working is stage 3a CKD and nobody can answer questions with certainty, I am opting not to get the vaccine. I know more people not wanting the vaccine than want it. I am sick of politicians trying to peddle narratives as is and feel that even if there was cause for concern, we would be the last people they would tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPD

Bushy23

There are so many unanswered questions with the vaccine and since I'm retired, have only 1 functioning kidney and the one I have working is stage 3a CKD and nobody can answer questions with certainty, I am opting not to get the vaccine. I know more people not wanting the vaccine than want it. I am sick of politicians trying to peddle narratives as is and feel that even if there was cause for concern, we would be the last people they would tell.
Trump and DeSantis both got the vaccine.