Hawk?

I saw what I was pretty sure was a hawk sitting in a tree. He was facing away from me so pretty much all I could see was the back and tail. It had two rows of white spots down the back. Four per row I think. Spots were well defined and at least an inch in diameter. Any ideas? I couldn't find a picture that looked anything like it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I saw what I was pretty sure was a hawk sitting in a tree. He was facing away from me so pretty much all I could see was the back and tail. It had two rows of white spots down the back. Four per row I think. Spots were well defined and at least an inch in diameter. Any ideas? I couldn't find a picture that looked anything like it.

Draw one.

M

Mousebaby

You sure it is a hawk? I looked up every hawk in my book and came up with nothing. Could it be an owl?

You sure it is a hawk? I looked up every hawk in my book and came up with nothing. Could it be an owl?

Maybe. I didn't really get a good look. The head was smaller than most owls I think. Hard to tell. Maybe it will be there when I leave work and I'll get a better look.

M

Mousebaby

Maybe. I didn't really get a good look. The head was smaller than most owls I think. Hard to tell. Maybe it will be there when I leave work and I'll get a better look.

I'm almost willing to bet Inkpen would know but she is out of town for the weekend. I wish I had a picture. Try to get one on your way out if it is still there.

I'm almost willing to bet Inkpen would know but she is out of town for the weekend. I wish I had a picture. Try to get one on your way out if it is still there.

If I'd had my camera I would have stopped on the way in. I should have stopped anyway to make it fly and get a better look.

depending on size if it were a cooper , sounds like an owl , what was the size?

Hard to tell from the distance. It is unusual to see an owl sitting in a barren tree at noon though. I think it may have been a young coopers hawk. At least they have some spots in the right area.

Attachments

• coopers_hawk_juvenile.jpg
    coopers_hawk_juvenile.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 125