CSM Hawks Take Region XX Title, Head to Indiana to Make Second Straight National Championship Appearance

The College of Southern Maryland (CSM) Hawks golf team captured its second consecutive Region XX Tournament title over the May 4-5 weekend. With this victory, the team qualified to play in the NJCAA Division II National Championship May 21-24 in Plymouth, Indiana.

This is the fourth time the CSM golf program has brought home the Region XX Tournament crown, winning in 2006 and 2014 as well when they also qualified to compete in the National Championship.

Sophomore William Garrett of Chesapeake Beach led the charge for the Hawks, shooting the lowest score of the tournament, a 76. He was the low medalist and earned the Region title. Sophomore Tyler Potts of Owings tied his lowest score of the season, finishing one stroke behind Garrett with a 77 to earn the runner-up medal.

Sophomore Mark Burgess of La Plata played one of his best rounds of the season, finishing with a score of 84.

After shooting his lowest round of the season at the MDJUCO championship April 25, freshman Jordan Lofton of Waldorf bested that score by shooting a new season-low of 90 at the Region XX tournament.

“The team will continue to work hard and improve on the areas of weakness in an attempt to represent Region XX in a respectable manner,” said CSM Head Golf Coach David Russell. “As the coach of the program, I am extremely proud of William and Tyler. I am looking forward to seeing them both finish up their stellar golf career at CSM by shooting some great scores at Nationals. I also hope to see Mark and Jordan join them by also performing their best.”

For information on CSM’s athletic programs, visit athletics.csmd.edu.

[ This article originally appeared here ]