Hay Auction Today At Noon In Cheltenham

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Busterduck said:
Just thought I would remind you all about the auction. Hope to see some of you there.
i was there, it was cold, my feet are still num... no one wanted any round bales, and those big square bales were expensive!!! it was only like the size of 8 bales, so your practicly paying 10 a bale...

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
dont know i think ppl was just being picky or what ever, but i think the 1000 pound bales were going around 70-80

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
flarenuphope said:
dont know i think ppl was just being picky or what ever, but i think the 1000 pound bales were going around 70-80

Actually, we sold a large number of round bales. We sold 25 of the Hay Lady's 2nd cut orchard grass. Several other rounds too. Some of the rounds didn't sell. Alot sold after the auction. All of the small squares sold with the exception of the rye grass. The small bales were pretty high this week. Some of it was very nice hay.

The large squares are over 1000 lbs and are certainly not the equivalent of only 10 squares. We sold many of those too. I believe they were $86. I will be sending out the High/Low Report soon. I will try to post it on here for you all.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Busterduck said:
Actually, we sold a large number of round bales. We sold 25 of the Hay Lady's 2nd cut orchard grass. Several other rounds too. Some of the rounds didn't sell. Alot sold after the auction. All of the small squares sold with the exception of the rye grass. The small bales were pretty high this week. Some of it was very nice hay.

The large squares are over 1000 lbs and are certainly not the equivalent of only 10 squares. We sold many of those too. I believe they were $86. I will be sending out the High/Low Report soon. I will try to post it on here for you all.
how much per round? what size rounds?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
happyappygirl said:
how much per round? what size rounds?

Round bale mixed went $45

Round bale orchard went from $35 to $54. The avg price was $44.

Large square (over 1000 lbs) Alfalfa went $86

I got some round bale orchard (second cutting) mixed with alfalfa for $45. These bales were huge and SUPER heavy. I bought them all. The guy still has first cutting there from the same field. I hope to buy them the next auction if they don't go too high.

Cowgirl

I'm surprised the rye didn't sell. I bought about 20 bales of rye/ryegrass mix because I couldn't find any other hay...it looked like straw, but I needed something. My sheep and goats and donkey ate it like it was candy! Horse people might not like it, but I'm sure cattle and everything else would gobble it up!

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Cowgirl said:
I'm surprised the rye didn't sell. I bought about 20 bales of rye/ryegrass mix because I couldn't find any other hay...it looked like straw, but I needed something. My sheep and goats and donkey ate it like it was candy! Horse people might not like it, but I'm sure cattle and everything else would gobble it up!

Rye grass has virtually no nutrition. It is just bulk. It does, however, make a nice bedding that your horses can eat too. Softer than straw.