hay cubes/baled hay

Eventer29

anyone know of places other than southern states taht sell alfalfa/timothy cubes or alfalfa cubes?
I know this is a stupid kinda question considering the hay shortage, but..Anyone know where affordable (under $10 or so) alfalfa/timothy mix or plain alfalfa hay can be bought. I have a boarder who wants his horse on some kind of alfalfa or mix. Will have to ask where he gets his mix that he feeds his track horses. I know he pays $14 a bale for it, but if i can Id like to find some for less.

mingiz

Horse Poor
You can try Stauffer Feed Mill in Loveville (hay and cubes) or Canterlope in Callaway (cubes) Don't know where your located. These are in St. Mary's

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
anyone know of places other than southern states taht sell alfalfa/timothy cubes or alfalfa cubes?
I know this is a stupid kinda question considering the hay shortage, but..Anyone know where affordable (under $10 or so) alfalfa/timothy mix or plain alfalfa hay can be bought. I have a boarder who wants his horse on some kind of alfalfa or mix. Will have to ask where he gets his mix that he feeds his track horses. I know he pays $14 a bale for it, but if i can Id like to find some for less.
The Amish feed mill on 236 has hay for 8.00 now

natbugs

I have always fed hay cubes to my old timers. I have paid over $10 a bag for quite awhile....good luck finding it cheaper. I deal mostly with Southern States in St.Mary's

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!

We just ordered a tractor trailer load from canada...delievered it was $400 per ton~! Thats about $150 more per ton than I paid this spring! Unfortunately, we can't part with any of it at this point because we don't know how outrageous another load could get. Good luck! Also...Tractor Supply carries it at about $11 per bag.:howdy:

erinjograves

Tractor Supply in LaPlata has Alfalfa Cubes. I dont know how much they are tho. Stauffers in St. Mary's carry's hay and cubes. Good luck!!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
We just ordered a tractor trailer load from canada...delievered it was $400 per ton~! Thats about $150 more per ton than I paid this spring! Unfortunately, we can't part with any of it at this point because we don't know how outrageous another load could get. Good luck! Also...Tractor Supply carries it at about $11 per bag.:howdy:

Wow, that was pricey!! PM me, I know of some suppliers from up there with a better rate than that...

erinjograves

another alternative might be to use Hay Stretcher. We use Blue Seal Hay Stretcher for my older mare who has trouble chewing hay. It can also be used for horses that dont have a lot of hay. It suppliments the hay you give so you dont have to give them so much. Its a good alternative when hay is scarce. Just a thought.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
another alternative might be to use Hay Stretcher. We use Blue Seal Hay Stretcher for my older mare who has trouble chewing hay. It can also be used for horses that dont have a lot of hay. It suppliments the hay you give so you dont have to give them so much. Its a good alternative when hay is scarce. Just a thought.
I found the Blue Seal Hay stretcher has a realitively high alfalfa content. This made my mares extremely aggressive with each other not only during meal times but just while out grazing, it made them super testy, ears laid back, chasing/kicking biting each other, it was awful. And the pellets are huge. I also seemed to go through a bag very quickly.

Southern States has hay stretcher with a lower alfalfa content, and my girls are MUCH more laid back on it. I think i can feed this to the horses we ride to suppliment the crappy quality hay I get from around here, and it won't have any adverse effects on them at all.

I have also noticed the price of beet pulp has gone way up. Geesh. And that's basically junk left after beet processing, so it's gravy in terms of profit for the makers. :burning:

erinjograves

I found the Blue Seal Hay stretcher has a realitively high alfalfa content. This made my mares extremely aggressive with each other not only during meal times but just while out grazing, it made them super testy, ears laid back, chasing/kicking biting each other, it was awful. And the pellets are huge. I also seemed to go through a bag very quickly.

Southern States has hay stretcher with a lower alfalfa content, and my girls are MUCH more laid back on it. I think i can feed this to the horses we ride to suppliment the crappy quality hay I get from around here, and it won't have any adverse effects on them at all.

I have also noticed the price of beet pulp has gone way up. Geesh. And that's basically junk left after beet processing, so it's gravy in terms of profit for the makers. :burning:

Oh Wow! We dont have that problem with Lucy. Thats really interesting. She loves the stuff and is just as sweet as she was before she went on it. Thanks for that tip. I will keep that in mind if I put any of my other guys on it.