Hay is for horses!

breezy9999

I need hay and need a new supplier. Anyone have any reccomendations of where to get some good hay? Thanks guys!

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
You could always try contacting farms/barns near your place and asking where they get theirs from. Sometimes word-of-mouth is the best way to go :smile:

highnote

You could always try contacting farms/barns near your place and asking where they get theirs from. Sometimes word-of-mouth is the best way to go :smile:

Good advice, but I've also noticed that a lot of people are NOT willing to share their hay contacts. Reasonably priced horse quality hay is often hard to find... ESPECIALLY this summer with the drought... so people don't want to risk losing their own supply by giving out supplier contacts.

Check the somd farm supplies classifieds, and craigslist too.

breezy9999

Good advice, but I've also noticed that a lot of people are NOT willing to share their hay contacts. Reasonably priced horse quality hay is often hard to find... ESPECIALLY this summer with the drought... so people don't want to risk losing their own supply by giving out supplier contacts.

Check the somd farm supplies classifieds, and craigslist too.

Awesome I definantly will! Thanks!

highnote

Saw these:

2 Hay & Straw for sale — Hollywood 07/19/2010 —
Details
I still have orchard grass $5.00- Alfalfa $5.00- Straw $4.00 a bale, they are around 40 lbs. a bale free delivery in St. Mary's & up to a reasonable distance. Wally Bowles 240-298-1435 301-373-3250

3 Orchard Grass Hay Round Bales $35. Drayden 07/19/2010 —
Details
Nice 4x4 round bales of clean orchard grass hay. Cut this spring and stored under cover. Very nice hay that is going fast so if you'll need some this winter call soon. 301-904-4987.

4 Hay and Straw For Sale Clements 07/18/2010 —
Details
Horse Hay for sale only round bales available Round Bales- Orchard Grass and Alfalfa $50 each or $60 delivered weigh about 600-700lbs Straw for sale 600 bales left $3.25 per bale some cow hay is available round bales only call for price Mike Russell 301-904-1088

fredsaid2

Busterduck runs the area hay auction. She would likely have good hay sources to offer.

There's always the Henyard, they're pricy but typically have large heavy bales so you have to consider what you're getting for the price.

smurfette

I get really great hay at Glen Mary Farm in Park Hall....smells great, good weight per bale and my horse eats it up! There is an ad on SOMD somewhere for this hay...think it's in animal classifides.

highnote

I have seen the hay from Glen Mary (2008 cuttings) and definately wouldn't feed it to my horses. Maybe they have gotten better since, but what I saw was very weedy and overpriced (I also saw the hay fields before they were cut... again not something I would want my horses to eat).

highnote

Yes the henyard hay is pricy, but heavy bales.

Here's another contact. I've tried his hay before... decent, but nothing to write home about. Not worth these prices IMO, but decent mold-free hay:

Park Hall Road, big fence and gate
Charlie Scasser
240-298-1154

orch and alf- 2nd cutting 55 lb 5.75
teff baled lighter 4.50
orch with crab 4th 5.00
new hay after may 1st.

1st cutting- small squares 5.00 and 5.50
rounds- 1st cht orch 850 lbs $45
large squares 45

This pricing might be outdated, but gives you an idea.

smurfette

I have seen the hay from Glen Mary (2008 cuttings) and definately wouldn't feed it to my horses. Maybe they have gotten better since, but what I saw was very weedy and overpriced (I also saw the hay fields before they were cut... again not something I would want my horses to eat).

well they must be doing something different because the hay I got there was great!

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have gotten hay at GM before but it was a boarder that odered a truck load and was selling off what she didn't need. But I have never heard that GM it self did hay.