Phone (301) 475-9372

Fax 301-884-3086

WORKING FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE SINCE 1925

December 4, 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

St. Mary’s County Farm Bureau

(301) 475-9372 bittejulie@yahoo.com

ST. MARY’S COUNTY FARM BUREAU ORGANIZES HAY LIFT

In an effort to assist livestock producers and horse owners with the shortage of hay due to the previous drought, the St. Mary’s County Farm Bureau has organized a hay lift. On Friday, December 21st, a trailer load of timothy hay from New York will be delivered to the St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds. The bales of hay will weigh approximately 75 pounds. It is estimated that approximately 650 bales will be on the trailer. A minimum of 30 bales (1 ton) is required for purchase.

Anyone in need of hay is encouraged to contact the St. Mary’s County Farm Bureau at 301-475-9372 for additional information. Orders will also be taken by the St. Mary’s County Cooperative Extension Service (301-475-4484) or the Department of Economic and Community Development, Agriculture Division (301-475-4200 ext 1402). Additional deliveries can be scheduled if needed. Payment will be necessary prior to pick up of the hay.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!

39136 Avie Lane
Mechanicsville, MD 20659
Phone (301) 475-9372

Fax 301-884-3086

WORKING FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE SINCE 1925

December 4, 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

(301) 475-9372 bittejulie@yahoo.com

ST. MARY’S COUNTY FARM BUREAU ORGANIZES HAY LIFT

In an effort to assist livestock producers and horse owners with the shortage of hay due to the previous drought, the St. Mary’s County Farm Bureau has organized a hay lift. On Friday, December 21st, a trailer load of timothy hay from New York will be delivered to the St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds. The bales of hay will weigh approximately 75 pounds. It is estimated that approximately 650 bales will be on the trailer. A minimum of 30 bales (1 ton) is required for purchase.

Anyone in need of hay is encouraged to contact the St. Mary’s County Farm Bureau at 301-475-9372 for additional information. Orders will also be taken by the St. Mary’s County Cooperative Extension Service (301-475-4484) or the Department of Economic and Community Development, Agriculture Division (301-475-4200 ext 1402). Additional deliveries can be scheduled if needed. Payment will be necessary prior to pick up of the hay.

What is the price per ton?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
depends on what type it is, who and where she's getting it from. We are getting prices ranging from 145-325 (for alfafa) a ton. The average tractor trailer holds about 22 tons. some folks are coming right out and saying "i know you need this bad"...and you can almost hear the till opening and closing...cha-ching before they tell ya...oh it's $285 a ton.

we're bringing in a load for us (and splitting it with 2 other families) and have been calling different places all week to decide who to get it from. It's going to cost me between 2 - 2500 if we split it 3 ways, and do it again in about 6 weeks. :faint:

eventrder

Yeah but its cheaper locally, which means we could get more supply. how is them bringing in hay thats more expensive helping with supply? Yeah you would have 30 bales in your barn but you could have 50 bales from someone locally for that price.

Sorry dont mean to vent I am on a hay rampage lately! Really stressing me out. I bought 2 round bales hoping that it would be the smart thing to do so that I could save my "golden square bales" yeah well that was 160.00 down the drain you know that my 4 fat azz pigs ate 1 freaking round bale in a week! And to top it off I still have grass decent grass too. Instead of grazing they just stuck their fat heads in the round bale and did not move for a week. AHHHHHHHHHHH

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Yeah but its cheaper locally, which means we could get more supply. how is them bringing in hay thats more expensive helping with supply? Yeah you would have 30 bales in your barn but you could have 50 bales from someone locally for that price.

Sorry dont mean to vent I am on a hay rampage lately! Really stressing me out. I bought 2 round bales hoping that it would be the smart thing to do so that I could save my "golden square bales" yeah well that was 160.00 down the drain you know that my 4 fat azz pigs ate 1 freaking round bale in a week! And to top it off I still have grass decent grass too. Instead of grazing they just stuck their fat heads in the round bale and did not move for a week. AHHHHHHHHHHH

Check out the Hay Auction thread.

Elle

Happy Camper!

Good luck finding a local supply of quality hay in the amount that you will need to last through the winter. I think it's great that someone has taken the initiative to track down a supplier and organize this. Now if you have an abundance of cash lying around that you would like to donate to supply hay for others I'm sure no one would mind.

eventrder

No abundance of cash, did not mean to stir the pot and get people upset!

I get my round bales from PA and just got a truck load of hay from NY but I only paid 6.00 a bale. Getting the truck load is the way to go especially if you can find someone to split it with you.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
If anyone else is planning on getting a truck load in anytime soon I can take about 150 bales. Does anyone know someone with roundbales for sale? I'm looking for Grass and/or timothy mix. No alfalfa, no fescue.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
If anyone else is planning on getting a truck load in anytime soon I can take about 150 bales. Does anyone know someone with roundbales for sale? I'm looking for Grass and/or timothy mix. No alfalfa, no fescue.
:killingme

You're SO silly.....roundbales :lol:
Paracletes Paradise comes to mind....late summer, she reached down and PINCHED up a tiny bit of her 2nd cutting grass and threw it up into the air, cause that was all she could get off the ground :lol:

:gossip: SOMDRocks and i may be able to help though. We're working on getting it right now.

Last edited:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
:killingme

You're SO silly.....roundbales :lol:
Paracletes Paradise comes to mind....late summer, she reached down and PINCHED up a tiny bit of her 2nd cutting grass and threw it up into the air, cause that was all she could get off the ground :lol:

:gossip: SOMDRocks and i may be able to help though. We're working on getting it right now.

:lmao: I didn't mean local, silly lady.

I was so jealous when I was in Canada, everywhere had a billion, beautiful, roundbales out in the fields.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
:lmao: I didn't mean local, silly lady.

I was so jealous when I was in Canada, everywhere had a billion, beautiful, roundbales out in the fields.
Quite sad isn't it? We're actually drooling over websites and other states with beautiful, green hay.... :faint:
I call it grass envy.

Loper

Animal Poor!

I'd be interested in grass/timothy mix as well. I'll let ya know if I find something.