Hay Questions

SerenitStables

I know someone asked about this before....but does anyone know where I can get 1 or 2 round bales locally. I can pick them up, but delivery would be great. And if anyone knows of anyone selling square bales. The guy that promised me hay, has yet to call me back or acknowledge that I have tried to get hay from him.

Thanks,
~Jen~

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
SerenitStables said:
I know someone asked about this before....but does anyone know where I can get 1 or 2 round bales locally. I can pick them up, but delivery would be great. And if anyone knows of anyone selling square bales. The guy that promised me hay, has yet to call me back or acknowledge that I have tried to get hay from him.

Thanks,
~Jen~
Imagine that, Hay people not calling back... :jameo:
For round bales try Jack Welch, 301-643-2256 or Charlie Sasscer 301-862-2411.

Are you looking for the big squares 600 plus lbs or the little squares like 50 pounders? ... I'm using the big squares right now and it is nice hay.

SerenitStables

appendixqh said:
Imagine that, Hay people not calling back... :jameo:
For round bales try Jack Welch, 301-643-2256 or Charlie Sasscer 301-862-2411.

Are you looking for the big squares 600 plus lbs or the little squares like 50 pounders? ... I'm using the big squares right now and it is nice hay.

Jack brings me my square bales, but he told me at his last delivery that he was out of what I feed. Not sure about round bales. Will try Charlie.

I am looking for 40-50 pound bales.

Thanks!!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
boatdoctor said:
Give Hickory Hollow in Hollywood a call they are in the phone book.

Hickory Hollow does not sell hay

Loveville Henyard got in a load today $5.50 for timothy not bad hay...up to $10.50 for alfalfa..I looked around you wont find much better..

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The hay auction is this Saturday at noon in Cheltenham (on 301), but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't bid round bales up to 75$ each just because you only want 1 or 2, just be patient and you'll get what you want at a reasonable price.

SerenitStables

happyappygirl said:
The hay auction is this Saturday at noon in Cheltenham (on 301), but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't bid round bales up to 75$ each just because you only want 1 or 2, just be patient and you'll get what you want at a reasonable price.

I've never been to a hay auction. How does this one work? I have been to horse auctions....but wasn't sure if it's the same type of thing.

Thanks,
~Jen~

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Works the same...except that some people who only purchase onsie-twosies tend to get excited, and worried they won't get their one or two, and bid them way up, and pay a super high premium. The end result is higher minimums from the hay suppliers (ie they raise the lowest dollar amount they will accept on their hay) and often most of it will sit unpurchased because those of us who purchase 30 rounds at a time won't pay a 50.00 minimum on one round bale, when in actuality we should be getting a DISCOUNT on such a high volume purchase. The after effect of hay sitting unsold is less sellers, because their hay remains unsold...so it becomes a vicious cycle. If hay sellers won't bring hay, the auction will not survive.

Personally, I'd rather see MORE hay sold at say 25-30 per round bale, rather than only 2 sold at 75.00 each, which dictated (to the seller) that a minimum bid can be placed @ 50.00 per bale because someone has already paid 75.00 each. This convinces buyers like me not to buy it (and recently not to even go to the auction anymore because of high minimums), and to drive the extra hour and purchase from someone who will reward me for buying in large quantities. If sellers placed a 20 or 25 per bale minimum bid, then MORE people would buy MORE hay at say 25-30 per bale and more transactions would occur, and be good for everyone involved.

I would much rather only go as far as Cheltenham for a large load - and allow Cheltenham to make the profit on more bales sold, since they are completely non profit, rather than drive the extra 30 or 60 minutes to elsewhere. It saves me time and money, neither of which i like to waste. This same principle also applies to the small squares.

Make sense?

Last edited:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
happyappygirl said:
Works the same...except that some people who only purchase onsie-twosies tend to get excited, and worried they won't get their one or two, and bid them way up, and pay a super high premium. The end result is higher minimums from the hay suppliers (ie they raise the lowest dollar amount they will accept on their hay) and often most of it will sit unpurchased because those of us who purchase 30 rounds at a time won't pay a 50.00 minimum on one round bale, when in actuality we should be getting a DISCOUNT on such a high volume purchase. The after effect of hay sitting unsold is less sellers, because their hay remains unsold...so it becomes a vicious cycle. If hay sellers won't bring hay, the auction will not survive.

Personally, I'd rather see MORE hay sold at say 25-30 per round bale, rather than only 2 sold at 75.00 each, which dictated (to the seller) that a minimum bid can be placed @ 50.00 per bale because someone has already paid 75.00 each. This convinces buyers like me not to buy it (and recently not to even go to the auction anymore because of high minimums), and to drive the extra hour and purchase from someone who will reward me for buying in large quantities. If sellers placed a 20 or 25 per bale minimum bid, then MORE people would buy MORE hay at say 25-30 per bale and more transactions would occur, and be good for everyone involved.

I would much rather only go as far as Cheltenham for a large load - and allow Cheltenham to make the profit on more bales sold, since they are completely non profit, rather than drive the extra 30 or 60 minutes to elsewhere. It saves me time and money, neither of which i like to waste. This same principle also applies to the small squares.

Make sense?

:yay: So very right! I went last time and left with none because the prices where being driven up to high.

morganhorse

How do you guys get the big round bales home from the sale? Do you know if the people selling the hay will drive it to your farm at an extra cost?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
morganhorse said:
How do you guys get the big round bales home from the sale? Do you know if the people selling the hay will drive it to your farm at an extra cost?

Happy has a huge flatbed....I doubt if the people there will deliver..and if they did it would cost alot.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Personally, I'd rather see MORE hay sold at say 25-30 per round bale, rather than only 2 sold at 75.00 each, which dictated (to the seller) that a minimum bid can be placed @ 50.00 per bale because someone has already paid 75.00 each.

Happy, when did you see a $75 round bale at the auction? Not this year, right? I had to miss the last one due to family obligations. Other than that, I haven't seen any bales go for that much. Except, of course, as you know the big square alfalfa.

Sorry I didn't get to do the high/low report for the last auction. Now you got me wondering how much hay did sell for? BTW, the auction is not profiting AT ALL. They only charge 5% sellers fee and that isn't enough to even advertise and pay for the office supplies and incidentials. As you may know, the board members who run the auction are strictly volunteer.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Busterduck said:
Personally, I'd rather see MORE hay sold at say 25-30 per round bale, rather than only 2 sold at 75.00 each, which dictated (to the seller) that a minimum bid can be placed @ 50.00 per bale because someone has already paid 75.00 each.

Happy, when did you see a $75 round bale at the auction? Not this year, right? I had to miss the last one due to family obligations. Other than that, I haven't seen any bales go for that much. Except, of course, as you know the big square alfalfa.

Sorry I didn't get to do the high/low report for the last auction. Now you got me wondering how much hay did sell for? BTW, the auction is not profiting AT ALL. They only charge 5% sellers fee and that isn't enough to even advertise and pay for the office supplies and incidentials. As you may know, the board members who run the auction are strictly volunteer.

The haylady's (Nancy's) was I believe minimum bid 40.00 last year towards the end. I did see folks bid them way up...like round 60.00 per bale. That's just plain crazy, TOO MUCH for my blood when i buy such a large load, and don't have boarders or do lessons or anything bringing in money to pay the hay bill.

It looks like the 700 lb square minimum price (currently is 85.00) may be going up...i believe CA said he sold half a load on the way TOO the auction last time so much less made it too the auction than he expected. :frown: I know there were SEVERAL auctions last year towards the end of the season, i bought nothing because the sellers had far too high a minimum price set, which goes for both rounds and squares.

Yes we have several large flatbeds. We will also haul for a very limited number of folks, but that's Rottncop's gig. I can drive our second F350 and tailer if i know in advance, and they live in our direction (Oakville/mechanicsville) ANd i'm going. He likes to be paid in hay (if he knows what's best :lol: )

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I might get a big one next time..let me know when you are going...I got the barns jammed full right now...

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
happyappygirl said:
The haylady's (Nancy's) was I believe minimum bid 40.00 last year towards the end. I did see folks bid them way up...like round 60.00 per bale. That's just plain crazy, TOO MUCH for my blood when i buy such a large load, and don't have boarders or do lessons or anything bringing in money to pay the hay bill.

I will gladly pay 50 a bale for the Hay Lady's second cutting pure orchard. I just love it. BEST QUALITY HAY! I rather pay that for the quality than $35 for crap. Of course, I would also welcome paying less for hers :).

The large square bales are 1000#s Now, they are EXPENSIVE. They are nice though. I'll be there tomorrow. Hopefully some rounds will go reasonably.