He Died For Our Sins

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
He Died For Our Sins

On Oct. 4, 1961, stand-up comic Lenny Bruce appeared at San Francisco's Jazz Workshop.

But among the crowd of jazz fans was a man who was not laughing. He was a San Francisco policeman named James Ryan, who had been sent to the club by his sergeant, James Solden, with instructions to see if anything of a "lewd nature" was going on.

Bruce was taken in a paddy wagon down to the Hall of Justice, booked on misdemeanor charges, and locked up in a cell.

It was the first of eight obscenity busts that were to consume, and ultimately help destroy, the life of one of America's greatest comedic satirists and verbal performers.

"I took exception. I took offense," Solden told Bruce. "We've tried to elevate this street. I'm offended because you broke the law. I mean it sincerely. I mean it. I can't see any right, any way you can break this word down, our society is not geared to it."
Bruce said, "You break it down by talking about it ... How about a word like 'clap'?"
"Well, 'clap' is a better word than '##########,'" Solden replied.
"Not if you get the clap from a ##########," Bruce rejoined.

Lenny Bruce's legal ordeal is one of the most shameful chapters in the cultural history of postwar America -- a persecution that obsessed Bruce, drained his creative energies, bankrupted him, and allowed the demons that always haunted him to take over.

Bruce died of a morphine overdose in 1966, but as Vincent Cuccia, one of the New York D.A.'s who prosecuted Bruce's last obscenity case, said, "We drove him into poverty and bankruptcy and then murdered him. We all knew what we were doing. We used the law to kill him."

Bruce makes a very difficult martyr -- he was too irascible, too self-destructive, too perverse, too unclassifiable. But he is a martyr nonetheless -- a heartbreakingly vulnerable renegade who was broken by the final tail-lash of the dying dragon of American Puritanism.

Has that dragon really died? The outdated obscenity laws and murky Supreme Court rulings used to arrest and convict Bruce remain, a testament to our nation's complete inability to deal with the issue of obscenity. (Indeed, as Ronald Collins and David Skover point out in their excellent book, "The Trials of Lenny Bruce," his final New York conviction has never been formally overturned: In the eyes of the law, disgracefully, Lenny Bruce remains a criminal.)

By Gary Kamiya (Salon.com)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, I will tell you - if the only thing a comedian has going for himself is that he can spew obscenities, he's not much of a talent. Lenny Bruce could have dropped the offensive language from his act and replaced it with something less objectionable, but the fact is that he was a no-talent loser drug addict.

And I hate to break it to Vincent Cuccia, but Lenny Bruce was a drug addict before he ever ran in trouble with the law.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bob Hope was a much bigger star and better comedian than Lenny Bruce, and he never uttered a single swear word in his professional life.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
vraiblonde said:
Bob Hope was a much bigger star and better comedian than Lenny Bruce, and he never uttered a single swear word in his professional life.

Old Bob was VERY good for his time, but people wouldn't "get" him nowadays
'ceptin ole folks, of course.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Christy said:
is a bit dramatic don't you think? I mean seriously. :jameo:

The author may have been referring to the fact that Bruce was playing to audiences that enjoyed that kind of entertainment. The patrons of the clubs he worked in certainly expected that kind of comedy, they were adults afterall. This title was designed to attract attention.

MMDad

Lem Putt
If you try to blame the death of a drug addict on anything other than the drugs you lose all credibility. This is nothing more than a lame attempt to excuse the behavior that killed him.

If it weren't for this, he would have found another excuse to self destruct. People who use as much as he did have two choices: get clean or die. He wasn't about to get clean, so what does that leave?

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
You know, I will tell you - if the only thing a comedian has going for himself is that he can spew obscenities, he's not much of a talent. Lenny Bruce could have dropped the offensive language from his act and replaced it with something less objectionable, but the fact is that he was a no-talent loser drug addict.

And I hate to break it to Vincent Cuccia, but Lenny Bruce was a drug addict before he ever ran in trouble with the law.
I gotta big deck. Wanna see it? :bubble:

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
MMDad said:
If you try to blame the death of a drug addict on anything other than the drugs you lose all credibility. This is nothing more than a lame attempt to excuse the behavior that killed him.

If it weren't for this, he would have found another excuse to self destruct. People who use as much as he did have two choices: get clean or die. He wasn't about to get clean, so what does that leave?

I agree. I think the D.A was referring to the fact that the majority of the cases brought against Bruce didn't result in convictions but they kept on trying. I understand that NY gave him a pardon sometime after his death.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
nhboy said:
I agree. I think the D.A was referring to the fact that the majority of the cases brought against Bruce didn't result in convictions but they kept on trying. I understand that NY gave him a pardon sometime after his death.

New York also elected Hillary Clinton, a non-resident, as its Senator. So I wouldn't put too much cred in the fact it may have pardoned Bruce at some point.

Lenny Bruce could only fill a nightclub by bringing out the blue. Maybe if you didn't read Salon.com . . .