Headlights

wittykitty

Ok, forumites, this time I came here to gripe, and ask for help. Lately I’m encountering seriously bright headlights, which I struggle with. I’m guessing they’re LED, right? They’re probably really nice for the driver, but damn they’re blinding! Not to mention, it does hurt my eyes after being tailgated by a larger truck for a few miles.

What type of light bulb would this be? Whatever it is, it shouldn’t be allowed.
What can I do to avoid such blindness? Is there a film that I can apply to my mirrors?
Frankly it’s dangerous as hell and I’m pretty fed up with being high-beamed!

I know someone here has a clever solution! Thanks:)

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Something like this might help.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Ok, forumites, this time I came here to gripe, and ask for help. Lately I’m encountering seriously bright headlights, which I struggle with. I’m guessing they’re LED, right? They’re probably really nice for the driver, but damn they’re blinding! Not to mention, it does hurt my eyes after being tailgated by a larger truck for a few miles.

What type of light bulb would this be? Whatever it is, it shouldn’t be allowed.
What can I do to avoid such blindness? Is there a film that I can apply to my mirrors?
Frankly it’s dangerous as hell and I’m pretty fed up with being high-beamed!

I know someone here has a clever solution! Thanks:)

Don’t drive at night? Also, look up astigmatism. I have that and don’t drive after dark. Stay safe.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Driving a small sport sedan, I really get blinded by the guys driving their penile extensions on wheels. I have to think a lot off it has to do with their spoiled "me first" attitudes. They buy a $60k+ truck and think any modifications they make are okay, as long as they like them. To hell with getting them inspected after the work is done! The newer HID and LED lights are a naturally brighter, cleaner light which makes it even worse for oncoming drivers, and when they ride your ass at 65 mph, you're going to be blinded regardless.

Cops are too busy to be stopping drivers for bright lights. It's gotten to the point that I avoid night driving. At least I have remote side view mirrors and can adjust them outward easily, if I do get a jackass behind me. As with all tailgaters, if I can safely ride a shoulder and let them pass, I do.

My "normal" travel speed is between 10 and 15 over the limit, pushing it to 20-25 most times, and tickling 30 over, when I think it's safe. It's not like I'm creeping for God's sake, but they have a big old truck, have something to prove, and are invincible.

/rant

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It could be the light type, but I've also noticed an increasing nuber of people who don't dim their lights.

:yay:

If the OP is speaking of those damn bluish lights on many new cars now, I'd have to say I loathe them.

If someone pulls up on my six with them, on my way to work in the morning, I usually pull to the shoulder and let them by as it's better than dealing with that glare.

nutz

White light is usually led, bluish is usually HID. Wasnt it that Obama guy most everyone loved that paved the way for the demise of incandescent? Incandescent is the old, yellowish hue.
You can purchase auto dimming rear view mirrors. Or you can flip the little knob/switch on your old style mirror from day to night. Or, as above, just pull over and let them pass. No need to hate someone because they have a newer vehicle with DOT legal lighting.

Attachments

• F1915FF9-0F3F-4E23-ABA6-56261F2FD3C9.jpeg
    F1915FF9-0F3F-4E23-ABA6-56261F2FD3C9.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 159

Blister

All true, and also the latest Emergency Vehicle flashing red, blue, and blinding white lights are causing accidents and first responders are being run over by drivers blinded by the lights that are supposed to keep them safe.

nutz

All true, and also the latest Emergency Vehicle flashing red, blue, and blinding white lights are causing accidents and first responders are being run over by drivers blinded by the lights that are supposed to keep them safe.
You really think thats the case vs. drivers being in a such a hurry to go nowhere?

limblips

A piece of the problem is mods to the suspension and not re-aiming the headlights afterwards. If somebody puts a 3 inch lift or oversized tires on their ride then the headlights are raised too! The headlight candlepower and aiming are state inspection items here in MD but since you only get 1 inspection any changes made after don't get re-inspected.

When I get the glare in my mirrors from the tailgaters I like to slowly move my remote controller mirrors to aim them right back at their windshield. They tend to back off.

You really think thats the case vs. drivers being in a such a hurry to go nowhere?
A little of both. I know when I approach an emergency vehicle at night, I am totally blinded, can't see past the lights. But the emergency crew is waving you on, move along, move along..... sure.
Those emergency lights are perfect for daylight, but need a reduced lumen night mode.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It could be the light type, but I've also noticed an increasing number of people who don't dim their lights.
This.

Also think you have some illegally wired vehicles - the running lights / fog lamps are supposed to be linked to the high beam switch, mutually exclusive. But if it's an after market install they can have the low level road lights and their highs on at the same time.
Then there are the lift kit vehicles.

I want to take laser pointer on a pellet gun to plunk the asshats who ride up behind you with their brights on.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They are blinding and while you might think you are wide enough, and slow enough, you really are driving forward blind.
At some point you are just guessing that people aren't in the road in front of you.

Add another, the work lights they put up for road work at night. Often find yourself blinded by those lights as you head into the work zone.

TPD

the poor dad
Here is a problem I see with technology - the auto dimming headlights. If your everyday driver has this in it, when you get in another vehicle that doesn't e.g. rental vehicle, spouse's car, it is easy to forget to manually dim the headlights. And even the auto dimming lights don't get it right 100% of the time.

mitzi

They are blinding and while you might think you are wide enough, and slow enough, you really are driving forward blind.
At some point you are just guessing that people aren't in the road in front of you.

Exactly. I had 2 cars coming towards me the other night and I could barely see the center line. I was going on blind judgement. These lights are dangerous.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I just had a 20 yo guy at work, just this minute, tell me he thinks people are driving without dimming their headlights lately. He's been temporarily blinded a few times recently.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I decided to buy a $6.00 pair of safety glasses with yellow lenses. Just like the As Seen on TV glasses, they filter out short wave length blue from reaching the eyes. I noticed that headlights weren't as intense with the glasses on, but must admit I didn't cross paths with anyone rocking the laser beam headlights. The ASOTV glasses can be had on Amazon for $3.50 per pair! :yay:

Chris0nllyn

White light is usually led, bluish is usually HID. Wasnt it that Obama guy most everyone loved that paved the way for the demise of incandescent? Incandescent is the old, yellowish hue.
You can purchase auto dimming rear view mirrors. Or you can flip the little knob/switch on your old style mirror from day to night. Or, as above, just pull over and let them pass. No need to hate someone because they have a newer vehicle with DOT legal lighting.

Auto headlights are halogen, not incandescent.